Temperature control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2022
So I wasn't really getting why temperature control mode exsists, except for maybe just more fine tuning. But then something occured to me, since I tend to chain vape and my last one would heat up super quick. So I'm gonna try to say this least confusing as possible...

If I set the temp control to a high setting, vape a lot, it starts to heat up. Then I pop it down to a lower setting, the vape is still hot, but now the temperature igniting the coil is lower... So technically it's like having it at a higher temperature, but then it's not having to heat up the coil as much for the same effect?

Hopefully people understand what I'm trying to say. Lol. Thanks.

Reactions: Superuser187

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I see you posted yesterday, you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
In the future, you might want to re post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. Suggest re posting in General Vaping Discussion and Chat:
General Vaping Discussion
Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane/extensive information from the membership in the above/appropriate forums(The "New Member forum" is said to be used basically as a polite way of saying hello to all ECF members.).

Reactions: smacuser

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Don't you feel bad at all because now you know. Just glad you are here and there is always someone, somewhere around here that knows what you are talking about. I know. e1bd5290-ec85-4b39-9f99-51839346e178.gif heehee

Reactions: smacuser

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I cant understand what u mean and i tried my best lol.
I dont judge tho because with my english i also have hard time to say what i want to say.

All i can say is that temperature control vaping means when the coil reaches the Temperature that u have set it then it will stop firing or lower the power to tue coil so it wont pass that temperature that u set it.
Thats assuming you have setup your vape properly using a mod that can do temperature control good and that u use the right material coil and adjusted the settings for it.

Maybe u need to read more about it if u have trouble with temperature control vaping :p

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
So I wasn't really getting why temperature control mode exsists, except for maybe just more fine tuning. But then something occured to me, since I tend to chain vape and my last one would heat up super quick. So I'm gonna try to say this least confusing as possible...

If I set the temp control to a high setting, vape a lot, it starts to heat up. Then I pop it down to a lower setting, the vape is still hot, but now the temperature igniting the coil is lower... So technically it's like having it at a higher temperature, but then it's not having to heat up the coil as much for the same effect?

I know what you mean: the hotter your atomizer gets, the less power you need to get the same vapor temperature. But wouldn’t that be the same without TC, except that you have to lower the wattage instead of temp settings?
I think that TC is more useful with MTL atomizers. It allows to take long, slow draws, without the coil getting hotter and hotter. For instance, if my mod is set to 27-35 Watts and 200 Celsius, after a long draw the mod will have reduced power to less than 10 Watts (on Arctic Fix, you can see the ‘final’ output). If it would fire with 35 W for the same amount of time, the vapor would be A LOT hotter than 200C.
With DL, if I’m not mistaken, there’s more air to keep the coil temperature where you want it, even if you take long draws.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

@KurtVD explained the main benefit of TC above - if you take long vapes and/or chain vape so the coil heats up, with TC the vape will stay the same temperature instead of overheating.

If you're fiddling with your TC settings while the coil is still hot, something else is going on. Basically, the resistance of certain metals (including the ones we use for TC vaping) changes depending on their temperature. Mods don't actually measure the temperature of the coil, they measure its resistance. They start by taking a reading of the coil resistance at room temperature. When you press fire, the coil heats up and its resistance changes. The mod uses the change in resistance to calculate the coil's approximate temperature.

If you change certain settings while the coil is hot, the mod will mistake the higher temperature coil resistance for the room temperature resistance and the readings from there on out won't be accurate. The mod will think the resistance has to rise beyond the hot reading to get to the set temperature, and the coil will get hotter than the temperature you've selected.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
If you change certain settings while the coil is hot, the mod will mistake the higher temperature coil resistance for the room temperature resistance and the readings from there on out won't be accurate. The mod will think the resistance has to rise beyond the hot reading to get to the set temperature, and the coil will get hotter than the temperature you've selected.

to add: both of my mods (Eleaf Pico running Arctic Fox and a Teslacig on its original firmware), will reset the base value of the resistance of the coil, if you let it cool down and don’t use it for a while. Both systems have a feature to lock the resistance value, but it’s usually not activated by default.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
A nice ‘side effect’ of temperature control mode is that it prevents dry hits, unless you set it to a very high temperature, i suppose in this case it’s still possible. But set it to a medium temperature, like around 200 Celsius (392 F), (+/- 30 degrees), and once you get to the bottom of the tank, maybe set the temperature a little lower than when it was full, and you can vape your tank dry without burning your wick. It will just produce less and less vapor, until it’s empty.

• Agree
Reactions: BillW50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread