Just started vaping. Few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Doh

Apr 6, 2016
Hi everyone. My only experience with vaping was using disposable e-cig's every now and then for circumstantial reasons. I decided I wanted to get more serious with vaping and be done with cigarettes, so I did some research and got myself an Joyetech eVic VTC mini. When I first got it, I tried vaping with the default setting it came with (0.4 ti coil, 235C temp, 60w) but started coughing crazy. I know for many vape beginners, coughing isn't that uncommon. So I took it down a notch and I'm vaping on "lower settings" (0.4 ti coil, 220C temp, 30w). I have some questions regarding this.

1. On their site, they say the recommended temperature range is 230C to 260C on 0.4 ti coil heads, I presume going higher than the recommended range might put more stress on the coil and the wick and may damage them, but is there any downside to going lower than the recommended range?

2. I know temperature control and variable wattage are two different things, but if I'm capping my temperature, is there any point in lowering the wattage? My guess is that it only makes my mod to take longer time to hit the max temperature cap, but I'm not sure.

3. Lastly, I'd like to know more decisively how temperature and wattage might affect the longevity of the coils.

Thanks in advance.

chinacatsunflower-

Feb 23, 2016
Hi everyone. My only experience with vaping was using disposable e-cig's every now and then for circumstantial reasons. I decided I wanted to get more serious with vaping and be done with cigarettes, so I did some research and got myself an Joyetech eVic VTC mini. When I first got it, I tried vaping with the default setting it came with (0.4 ti coil, 235C temp, 60w) but started coughing crazy. I know for many vape beginners, coughing isn't that uncommon. So I took it down a notch and I'm vaping on "lower settings" (0.4 ti coil, 220C temp, 30w). I have some questions regarding this.

1. On their site, they say the recommended temperature range is 230C to 260C on 0.4 ti coil heads, I presume going higher than the recommended range might put more stress on the coil and the wick and may damage them, but is there any downside to going lower than the recommended range?

2. I know temperature control and variable wattage are two different things, but if I'm capping my temperature, is there any point in lowering the wattage? My guess is that it only makes my mod to take longer time to hit the max temperature cap, but I'm not sure.

3. Lastly, I'd like to know more decisively how temperature and wattage might affect the longevity of the coils.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, going above the recommended temperature on stock coils can result in decreased life of the coil, going below won't harm it but you won't get the full flavor and it'll result in less vapor producton, but really it's what you personally prefer.

You are correct in #2. In temperature control mode, all the wattage does is determine how fast the coil outputs your desired vapor temperature, and then it decreases wattage once it is achieved to maintain that temperature.

Higher the wattage and higher voltage means more heat on the coil, but with temperature control you're able to control the heat generated in the coil. If you don't allow your coil to cool in between sessions it can run the chance of decreasing the life further, which is also why there is a recommended temperature, although I see no reason to go lower than the recommended temperature as it shouldn't harm the coil. I've noticed that my TC coils last longer than any others.

How are you inhaling? What juice are you vaping? How high is the nicotine content, what's the PG/VG ratio? Are you using max airflow? All of those variables can have an affect on how cool the vapor is and reduce your coughing, which is never pleasant. Right off the bat though, I'd reduce the temperature even further. Maybe try 205C and see how that goes.

John Doh

Apr 6, 2016
Yes, going above the recommended temperature on stock coils can result in decreased life of the coil, going below won't harm it but you won't get the full flavor and it'll result in less vapor producton, but really it's what you personally prefer.

You are correct in #2. In temperature control mode, all the wattage does is determine how fast the coil outputs your desired vapor temperature, and then it decreases wattage once it is achieved to maintain that temperature.

Higher the wattage and higher voltage means more heat on the coil, but with temperature control you're able to control the heat generated in the coil. If you don't allow your coil to cool in between sessions it can run the chance of decreasing the life further, which is also why there is a recommended temperature, although I see no reason to go lower than the recommended temperature as it shouldn't harm the coil. I've noticed that my TC coils last longer than any others.

How are you inhaling? What juice are you vaping? How high is the nicotine content, what's the PG/VG ratio? Are you using max airflow? All of those variables can have an affect on how cool the vapor is and reduce your coughing, which is never pleasant. Right off the bat though, I'd reduce the temperature even further. Maybe try 205C and see how that goes.

Thank you so much for a detailed reply. I'm currently vaping 60/40 6mg coffee flavored ejuice. Lowering the temperature seems to make it easy on my throat. Less vapor produced means less irritant for my throat (at least for the time being until I get used to it) I guess. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything "wrong". I'm still trying to find my sweet spot while tinkering with the temperature and airflow, but I'll have plenty of time to figure that out. :)

chinacatsunflower-

Feb 23, 2016
Thank you so much for a detailed reply. I'm currently vaping 60/40 6mg coffee flavored ejuice. Lowering the temperature seems to make it easy on my throat. Less vapor produced means less irritant for my throat (at least for the time being until I get used to it) I guess. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything "wrong". I'm still trying to find my sweet spot while tinkering with the temperature and airflow, but I'll have plenty of time to figure that out. :)

No problem! 60/40 VG to PG I assume? You could potentially be PG sensitive, I know I am. 50/50 murders my throat, I can do 60/40 but only at 3mg/ml nicotine or lower. Have you tried a higher VG juice? That might be it! Do you know the differences between the two? If not, I suggest doing some reading in the ECF library, it's a great resource!

John Doh

Apr 6, 2016
No problem! 60/40 VG to PG I assume? You could potentially be PG sensitive, I know I am. 50/50 murders my throat, I can do 60/40 but only at 3mg/ml nicotine or lower. Have you tried a higher VG juice? That might be it! Do you know the differences between the two? If not, I suggest doing some reading in the ECF library, it's a great resource!

It's 60 PG to 40 VG. I know the difference between the two and I've done my research on the subject also. Since I just bought the mod, I only took an over-the-counter-whatever e-juice to start vaping immediately. I intend on mixing my own e-juice before this first batch runs out, and once I get my hands on the supplies, I'll start experimenting more with the ratios.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
A lot goes into the physics regarding vaping than first realized, especially the more complex the technology, the more complex you have to think about the physics involved. Wattage or Voltage Output (power), coil resistance (ohms), airflow, pg and vg ratios (affect throat hit to vapor production), to nicotine strength, (thats just getting started on most mods). The newer TC units which the Evic VTC is, gets further down the rabbit hole than realized, exotic wires (Stainless Steel on some, Pure Nickel, and Titanium Grade 1). TC helps regulate what is formed or prevent what is formed a certain temperatures, diacetyl and AP (have been known to cause popcorn lung, being many liquids namely in the custards and buttery savory flavors don't say their flavorings have D/AP, this is chemistry, certain temperatures mix the right flavorings D/AP can be formed at the coil of an atomizer. Another thing TC can prevent is the forming of formaldahydes, this is generally formed when you burn wicks, so many crave oh you can't get a dry hit with TC, this is just a side effect of preventing formaldahydes.

Being these wires used are exotic, being newer in usage, Stainless Steel doesn't really fall prey, but Nickel (being soft and a low melting threshold) get near that threshold, Nickel can get into your vapor stream, most mods do not go high enough to cause this which keeps you from Nickel poisoning, Titanium also has its dark side, get near or above its threshold or fire it dry to often, it forms oxidation on the wire in the form of Titanium Dioxide, which is another chemical you do not want to be vaping on. So in short the coil head recommendations are just a guideline, however with the titanium TC heads by Joyetech, I wouldn't run them higher than max spec, though running them below is perfectly fine. Vaping is subjective to the end user, you like a cooler vape, thus running at cooler temp and lower wattage is perfectly fine. Don't mean to sound like I wish to scare you, but it is information you will need to know, play nice with your equipment and don't abuse it, treat it like your prized vehicle or cell phone, playing within its designed parameters, the equipment will suit you well.

Welcome to the boards and adding more days to your life instead of subtracting them with analogs.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
You can build a..5ohm coil many ways. On a heavier Clapton coil you would up the wattage due to more metal mass. On a lighter slick coil you would lower wattage. This allows you to get to temp in the allotted time that is comfortable for you. I like a 3 sec pop. You may like longer..
As stated above, rethink titanium over the long haul, or short. SS316, i feel is state of the art..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread