Temperature Protection Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckn71nm

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
ABQ, NM, USA
Hi all,

I am new to TC and I have a few questions. It is more a need for clarification. I am using a smok AL85 mod and just finished my first Ni200 build. The resistance displayed on the screen is 0.069.

The problem I am having is that no matter what value I set the wattage and temperature to, I always get the “Temperature protection” warning. I think it is normal to get to a point where the current is cut off because you reach the temperature set point, but it seems odd to me that you can put the mod into “stealth mode” and then have the screen light up at almost every puff with the warning. Also, is there a “proper” way to adjust the W and Temp? Do I start with low temp and adjust the W to an acceptable ramp time, then go up with the temp until it tastes right? What do people usually do?

I will switch to SS316 as soon as it arrives. Seems a little bit more straightforward. Especially since I won’t have to deal with a 10+ wrap coil deforming when I wick it.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Smok is not known for reliable tc. With my Gpriv I always had to fiddle with it. Let your tank reach room temp and try a factory reset (if you haven't upgraded firmware). Helped with gpriv. If you haven't got the latest firmware do some research and see if you want to.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It always seems like Temp Protect is a warning, but as pointed out, it's just stating it's working, not broken. If you hit temp protect as soon as you hit the fire button though, that may mean you're using too high a set wattage to start out with, so if that's the case, roll that down a bit. Also, a 0.07 ohm build is kinda low, I know Ni tends towards that, but you should check if the AL85 can handle a resistance that low for TC, it should be in the specs. SS is a lot more forgiving in building than Ni and provides other coil style options.

One bit of warning, the AL85 isn't real good for TC period, so figure that into your use. At least with SS if TC is wonky, wattage/power mode is fine, unlike Ni which can only be used in TC.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, the mod is working. I can vape just fine, nothing is broken. I'm just new to TC and didn't know what to expect. The Temp Protection coming up at almost every puff (after about 3-4 sec) confused me.

Anyway, looking forward to SS316

And that's the exact timing and behavior that lets you know all is well. I know, it's confusing and the notice could be better worded. Maybe.

Sounds like you're fine, and you should like building with SS, although TBH, the AL85 isn't the greatest at TC, especially SS.

MadTemp

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2015
This happens with most Chinese chipped mods and some USA chips, can only think of evolv and YiHi showing the whole thing, then again I'll never own a diacodes so can't speak for those. Shows temp protect when it reaches the set temperature. DNA shows that to prevent dry hit YiHi shows no liquid. The rest show temp protect ALL the time but it's just the screen, it's still firing unlike DNA/YiHi

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I found the tank and a battery, Initially .25 ohms on firing it went directly into watts, then it won't go into SS temp into watts instead. Puffed it a few times in watts tried going into SS temp which it did and worked a while, it sat a while and when fired it went into watts, not going into temp. Settings are 340 F, 28 watts. Griffin tank, just made coil was .24 ohms, originally worked well but with time I'd run into problems with it going into wattage mode. I pretty much replaced the Pico 25 with the Voopoo, the takes anything in temp mode without problems. Sooner or later I'll make a new coil for it or lower the resistance in the existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread