Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I am not a modder. But I use mods; I have a question about batteries; and this seems to be the place to ask it. I hope you don't mind my posting here.:oops:

I will be receiving my first mod that uses an 18650 battery, which I need to order separately.

I've been reading a lot of great things about the AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN battery, but if you know anything about me, you know that I am cheap. [The $10.50 battery price is one thing, but there is also that pesky $6.65 shipping charge Lighthound sticks on.:( And no, I am not impressed by that 2% off discount code.]

So I've been looking into alternatives, especially from All-Battery, whose free shipping discount code is meaningful. They sell a Tenergy 18650 2600mAh battery with PCB for $7.10 ea. Now, when you say Tenergy to me, I think 3.0V RCR123a, which I used in my Prodigy V1. I can't find any reference here on ECF to a Tenergy 18650 batt.

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Thanks!

kaji

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
CA
The difference in the price is reflected by the difference of the two batteries you listed. The AW IMR LiMN is a high drain battery:

Max. continuous discharge rate : 10C

While the Tenegry is not:
Max. Discharging current 1.5C ma (for continuous discharge)

I have not received my LiMNs yet, but from the numbers and information seen by others, the LiMNs seem to perform very well. I have heard that these batteries with a low resistance atty at 3.7v performs more like a 5-6v mod with a HV atty.

Here is more information on the LiMNs.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/altsmoke/73528-6v-not-answer-high-drain-cells-answer.html

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Thank you both so much! [And thanks, JRW, for the "hero" remark!:D]

Rocketman is making me one of his inexpensive "Trailer Park" flashlight mods. After I posted here, he responded to a PM, suggesting that I go with the Tenergy ... not because it is better, but because he knows it fits and works well with his mod. The AW LiMN is an unknown quantity for him.

So I'll go with the Tenergy for now (using 'tenergydeals' to get free shipping). In the future, I'm sure I will try the AW LiMN.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Ouch, are we talking about stacking?
Stacking 18650s?

The flat top 'll fit fine in the TP.

Stacking 18650s?
Ouch

Rocky

and we have parts in "epoxy cure" :)
Cure complete, planishing complete, in for a polishing job, and final fitting.
The testing department is doing the 1000 vape burn in now.
(Got some feedback from the manager of product testing, dripping an open top 801, Redbull 12mg/ml, a little jazz, chillin, ummm puffff ummmm pufffff)
Final polishing and then to the shipping department.
Photo, in this post, later. :)

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Ouch, are we talking about stacking?
Stacking 18650s?

The flat top 'll fit fine in the TP.

Stacking 18650s?
Ouch

Rocky

and we have parts in "epoxy cure" :)
Who said anything about stacking?

BTW, instead of calling your flashlight mod the "Trailer Park," why don't you call it the Flash Rocket? Now that has some pizazz!

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Who said anything about stacking?

BTW, instead of calling your flashlight mod the "Trailer Park," why don't you call it the Flash Rocket? Now that has some pizazz!

The Magnet comment. Magnets are a way of stacking flat top batteries to maintain good contact. All these little rare earth magnetic disks, battery packs.

and since I'm generally unloading these to friends and family, I wanted to get across the primary feature of this design. CHEAP.
If I were to make these to sell, I could easily make the equivalent of $2 an hour. Just about every step is "hands on" , spare time.

Flash Rocket? I have a model some have referred to as a PPB
(Pretty Pipe Bomb).
Think I have a future in 'Advertising'?

R

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
What kind of vaping charge can you get from an 18650 Li-ion battery:
Hello, My name is Rocket, and I've been chain vaping for over a year :)
I stress over being caught with a dead battery. Carry juice, carry attys, carry extra batteries, have a charger in the car, at work, a FEW at home. Being alone and not having a charged battery scares me. :shock:
So after hearing about big battery mods using the 18650 Li-ion cell lasting people 2 or three days per charge, I thought That's For Me :p
And my results: well not quite 3 days folks, not anywhere close to 3 days :mad:

WHY :confused: (the math commith henceforth),
If you use a 901, 801, 808, something around 3 ohms and you use the AVERAGE voltage of 3.7 volts delivered during the charge of a good 18650 Li-ion battery, then the AVERAGE current in the circuit will be about 1.23 amps. I think a reasonable charge capacity somewhat less than advertised would be about 2460 mah. You can find 2600, 2800, and 3000mah (NOT) cells, but 1.23 amps (1230 milliamps) from a 2460 mah cell will give you 2 hours (or 120 minutes, or 7200 seconds or 1440 five second puffs) of vape time (if you aren’t a vaporhog).

Now if you use an atty that has 2.2 ohms (Joye 510) then the current goes up to about 1.7 amps for an AVERAGE voltage of 3.7 volts. A 2460 mah cell will only give you 1.55 hours of of vape time (5580 seconds) or 1116 five second puffs. Whoa baby, over a THOUSAND PUFFS FROM ONE CHARGE. :D

Cool huh?:

Pull a 5 second puff 6 times a minute (chain vape do you?) and one 18650 cell could last you 3 to 4 hours. But no one chain vapes 6 puffs a minute all day do they?
Cut your vaping to half that and you get 6 to 8 hours of 5 second/3 times a minute vaping from a single 18650 cell.

It’s late, someone check my math please, while I Change batteries.

Rocket ;)

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Don,
a little teaser, a preview of your TP (The Flash Rocket) :)
(darn, software cut it down to a 20kb jpg)
Color looks to be fairly close to the smoking jacket.
Ready for a 801 and 18650.
Because you're rather experienced in the vaping arena, a light touch 13 ounce trigger pull (ought to be able to shoot yourself out a tight spot with that). Just a few final touches and to the post office this afternoon (after my nap). Be sure and thank the postman when it shows up.
Enjoy, and after a little practice the ButtSwitched MOD isn't that hard to hold.
My lovely wife modeling a TP in the Ready-To-Fire position (and left handed to boot).
Rocket

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread