Testify!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my testimonial (AKA how I started vaping). I was inspired to write it for the CASAA Tobacco Harm Reduction Stories Collection. Copy & pasted from there; It's a bit long-winded and kinda simplified, but I figure the intended audience is mostly non-vapers. Feel free to testify and share it here! :toast:

I was a pack a day smoker for over 20 years and I really had no intention of quitting. I justified this by thinking, "Well, I'm pretty healthy, no apparent lung issues & I really enjoy smoking". This is fairly true, although I did get winded easily when running or swimming. The enjoyment of smoking was very real. Although the smell, general messiness and health risk of smoking was a turn off, to me it was worth it. I never considered using a patch or gum because I knew for me they could never replace the physical and mechanical ritual pleasure obtained from smoking.
Then I slowly became aware of electronic cigarettes. Started to notice them for sale in gas stations, drug stores & on the Boardwalk. Also, that Blu e-cigarette commercial began to grab my attention. One day I was in a local drug store and figured why not, I'll give an e-cig a whirl. I went back and forth between smoking and using disposable e-cigs (Krave & Logic mostly) for about two or three weeks. I was so impressed by how they satisfied my craving to smoke I decided to fully switch to e-cigarettes & began to research the different options on the internet. Mainly with information from the immensely helpful & knowledgeable people on the site http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com I decided to order a rechargeable e-cigarette model called Volt. Since I began to use the Volt I have not had a single cigarette. That was nine days ago and I have almost no desire to smoke traditional cigarettes. My sense of smell is already improving as well as my lung strength. I currently use 24mg and 18mg nicotine eliquid. I plan on stepping the nicotine level down to 0mg at my own pace, essentially ending my nicotine dependance. This would have been impossible for me with traditional cigarettes.
All in all, I am very happy with my decision & I actively encourage other smokers to try e-cigarettes. In my opinion e-cigarettes when used responsibly can change peoples lives for the better in many profound ways.

I used the Volt for quite some time as well at 18mg, I liked SI but moved over to a 510 stick instead of the 808d. At some point you may want to move up a notch here's a nice kit:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Kanger T3 and Evod are sweet little clearomizers at 2.5ohm.

Yea, I was torn between the Volt & something 510 for a bit. I basically went for the Volt for foolproof-ness & SI's reputation. However, I think sometime soon I might want something with more oomph for around the house & such. Not too sure about ohms, volts, etc. but I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go. Thanx for the tip, I'll keep those on my list of possibilities.

Started with a ripoff 90 dollar kit from a smoke shop, worked okay for a day then burnt tasting everything. Was introduced to the ego and LR stuff, finally got a Sigelei Zmax v3 tele and haven't looked back since. Used the ego batts for like 2 years but now I'm lovin the Sig

Wow, two years? Awesome! You are much farther along than I am. Welcome to the forum!

TeaRowz

Verified Member
I haven't been keeping up on CASAA or this forum for quite awhile. I came to see what comments there might be about the recent maddening news stories about teenagers and e-cigs. Instead, I ran across the request for testimonies for CASAA's Tobacco Harm Reduction Stories Collection.

So, basing it on, and updating a story I'd written sometime ago (I may have posted that original piece somewhere on this forum) about the effect of a smoking ban, I wrote and submitted my testimonial. I'll post it here also.

I was a heavy cigarette smoker for about 40 yrs., starting at age 19. I was definitely feeling the effects of those years of smoking, including a chronic cough, and shortness of breath. And even though my sister died of complications of COPD at the age of 48, I continued to smoke.

When I first heard about electronic cigarettes about three years ago, I was intrigued with the idea that they could be used where cigarette smoking wasn't allowed. At that time, I had absolutely no intention of quitting smoking tobacco.

I hadn't 'done my homework' before purchasing my first e-cig kit online, so my first experience with 'vaping' was sorely disappointing. I did use them occasionally when I would visit a non-smoking household, but they proved to be more aggravating to use than helpful.

Two years ago, a smoking ban was imposed on all tenants at the apartment complex where I live. Because of other factors that leave me with little quality of life, this was a 'last straw' that nearly drove me to suicide. Drawing on strength I didn't know I had, I decided instead to do some research, and I purchased a different brand of e-cig. On Christmas day of 2011, I started vaping using the new e-cigs, and I smoked my very last tobacco cigarette... EVER.

It turns out that the timing of the smoking ban was likely a very good thing. My coughing had gotten so bad that I was waking up in the middle of the night in coughing fits, and it took me up to four hours of coughing in the mornings to 'clear my lungs'. At 55, I had been diagnosed with COPD; a spirometry test showed that I had "the lungs of an 86 yr. old". I was on two COPD medications.

After two weeks of vaping (2.4% nicotine), the coughing stopped almost completely. Over the months, I slowly reduced the percentage of nicotine. And it was easier than I could ever have imagined because I could continue with what felt like actual smoking. And, after 18 months, I was nicotine-free!

My health continues to improve. Although COPD cannot be completely reversed, I hardly ever even think of using my rescue inhaler. And my new doctor said she could tell that I'd quit smoking tobacco by the higher oxygen level in my system.

I will continue to vape because I will probably always enjoy the feeling of inhaling the vapor, and I can't imagine not having the feeling of "smoking" while at the computer or watching TV . I do think that much more difficult than quitting nicotine would be breaking my forty year hand-to-mouth habit involved in smoking. With the harm to my health reduced to nearly zero, I hope I'm never forced to break the hand-to-mouth habit habit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread