How do you vape compared to traditional smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Hi,

I'm attempting to make the switch from traditional burning cigarettes to vaping.

I've tried the blu e-cigs in the past but never really felt like the cravings were going away and always still craved a traditional cigarette. I then tried the fin e-cigs and they seemed to help a tiny bit but still ended up craving on a real cig.

So, yesterday I bought a refillable e-cig and find that most of the time that I don't have the cravings of a traditional cigarette but it's just got me wondering how people go about vaping these things.

Do you "smoke" it like a traditional cigarette, or do you take larger inhalation of the vapor further apart in time than a traditional cigarette or what?

I don't know exactly, but I think when I smoke a traditional cigarette I probably puff on it every 15 seconds or so and find that's the hard part for me with an e-cig. I guess I feel akward puffing on my e-cig every 15 seconds which just makes me want to go back to a traditional cigarette. It's terribly difficult for me to try to explain it.

I'm also wondering just how much nicotine I get from vaping on my e-cig compared to smoking a traditional cigarette. I'm using the "high" nicotine content e-liquid currently, I think the man at the store said that it was 18mg and that my traditional cigarettes produce 10 to 12mg of nicotine. But I smoke a lot of traditional cigarettes during the day and I feel that's always been because I crave on the nicotine but I don't like the smoke of a harder cigarette so I smoke "light" (or as now known in my area, "blues" as compared to regular which is called around here as "reds") as when trying to smoke regular cigarettes the smoke is too harsh for me when smoking regular (reds) so I smoke "lights" (such as Camel blue 99's).

And so I figured go with the 18mg of nicotine liquid so that I don't have to vape as much as I would normally smoke a traditional cigarette.

Please feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking on this. I'd like to get off of traditional cigarettes with the least amount of withdrawals as possible by lowering the amount of nicotine in the e-liquids that I'll end up purchasing. I don't care if it takes me a year to do this, by going with the high liquids for several months then step it down every couple months just so long as I get away from the "stink" of traditional cigarettes that permeates all of my clothes even fresh out of the dryer and I think leaches out of my pores even when I've not had a traditional smoke that day.

Thanks

Last edited:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Hey Traijan, it all comes down to what works for you. Not very helpful, I know.

I had the same sort of feeling that you have, at least with a cigarette there is a definite end...

At the moment I am using mine like a proper ciggy, my housemates are worried that my vaping is attracting bees into the house, so I have to go outside to vape.

Not really a fan of this setup myself, but usually I just have between 8 and 15 toots when I go outside. When I feel the need for some more nicotine I go back outside again, more or less mine is hourly. (I am using 6mg, so you might not want as many toots).

When I was free to vape indoors (the good times), I would just take a few toots in a row (like 5 or less) then leave it until I felt the need for more, probably like 15 minutes later or whatever. I did prefer this way.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
I smoked light cigs and I use 18 nicotine juice. Theres no way of knowing exactly how much nicotine we get from e cigs or analogs since everyone smokes or vapes a little differently. For the most part I vape like I smoked if I want more nicotine I will take a double draw or sometimes even a good lung hit. Once Im satisfied I put it down. The first couple weeks i stopped analogs I kepts my e cig out of site because I found myself chain vaping. And I made myself vape outside since thats where I always smoked. Dont worry about the size of your tank battery or whatever worry about your health. Out in public you might get a funny look or two but dont worry about it lol. I get them when I pull my tank and E-lvt out of my smart phone belt case all the time. But hey it works for me and honestly you cant worry about other peoples thoughts lol.

Nautiboy1279

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Ridge NY
Hi,

I'm attempting to make the switch from traditional burning cigarettes to vaping.

I've tried the blu e-cigs in the past but never really felt like the cravings were going away and always still craved a traditional cigarette. I then tried the fin e-cigs and they seemed to help a tiny bit but still ended up craving on a real cig.

So, yesterday I bought a refillable e-cig and find that most of the time that I don't have the cravings of a traditional cigarette but it's just got me wondering how people go about vaping these things.

Do you "smoke" it like a traditional cigarette, or do you take larger inhalation of the vapor further apart in time than a traditional cigarette or what?

I don't know exactly, but I think when I smoke a traditional cigarette I probably puff on it every 15 seconds or so and find that's the hard part for me with an e-cig. I guess I feel akward puffing on my e-cig every 15 seconds which just makes me want to go back to a traditional cigarette. It's terribly difficult for me to try to explain it.

I'm also wondering just how much nicotine I get from vaping on my e-cig compared to smoking a traditional cigarette. I'm using the "high" nicotine content e-liquid currently, I think the man at the store said that it was 18mg and that my traditional cigarettes produce 10 to 12mg of nicotine. But I smoke a lot of traditional cigarettes during the day and I feel that's always been because I crave on the nicotine but I don't like the smoke of a harder cigarette so I smoke "light" (or as now known in my area, "blues" as compared to regular which is called around here as "reds") as when trying to smoke regular cigarettes the smoke is too harsh for me when smoking regular (reds) so I smoke "lights" (such as Camel blue 99's).

And so I figured go with the 18mg of nicotine liquid so that I don't have to vape as much as I would normally smoke a traditional cigarette.

Please feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking on this. I'd like to get off of traditional cigarettes with the least amount of withdrawals as possible by lowering the amount of nicotine in the e-liquids that I'll end up purchasing. I don't care if it takes me a year to do this, by going with the high liquids for several months then step it down every couple months just so long as I get away from the "stink" of traditional cigarettes that permeates all of my clothes even fresh out of the dryer and I think leaches out of my pores even when I've not had a traditional smoke that day.

Thanks

My first tip for you would NOT to vape anything that looks like an analog cig. These have short lived batteries that will not deliver the same voltage to you throughout the battery charge. As it comes down toward half way charge, you will get less nicotine being delivered to you. This was the reason I was not able to quit with e cigs at first.

I would highly recommend a Provari (if you want to spend the money and get a very high quality and durable variable voltage unit). But if you want to spend a little less, they have many variable voltage units on Ebay for great prices. 50 bucks would get you the device, batteries, charger and a tank. Anyhow, these will deliver the same voltage and nic level to you until it tells you the battery needs to be replaced. This is KEY to quitting smoking and I did not completely stop smoking until I got my hands on a good v/v device (Provari).

But to answer your other question, if you are recently coming off of analogs, just go with 24mg nic on a v/v unit and if after a few days you are getting headaches and nauseaus, then you know you need to drop (just get small bottles until you find the nic level your good with and not going to cigs). Those symptoms indicate acute nic overdose.

Final thoughts, don't mess around with the little guys, because you will forever go back and fourth between the two until you find a good variable voltage unit. Its worth it, and the batteries will last days opposed to hours, and will last MUCH longer than the other types of batteries.

rufus1138

Jun 20, 2014
Pensacola, FL
i found that i started smoking indoors more, like double ewe said, every 15 mins or so, i just kinda maintain all day instead of smoking once every hour or two, i personally had no withdraw symptoms other than a desire to go through the motions of the analog, but i was totally sick of the smell and wanted to quit so that may have helped stave off the withdraw, i also started with 24mg fluid. but now i have to say that im on what seems to be a monthly step down plan...i went to 18mg and im already wanting to drop that for the 12mg this weekend. :D keep your head up, itll get better as you start to see the changes in your body from dropping the analogs.

Auxx

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2014
Zvejniekciems, Latvia
I switched from smoking to vaping last Friday and I vape the same way I smoke. This is why I bought ego style ecig, not a mod+rebuild like pro vapers do. Sometimes I make clouds (the way they are possible with my hardware), but it is normal "smoking" most of the time for.

The only big change I have is that now I vape as much as I want and when I want. Two small hits? Great! Five minute smoking? Yeah!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Vaping you will get your nicotine slower than a regular cigarette, so it;s not unusual to vape for a longer time or more often than smoking. Regarding light cigarettes, studies have been done and "lite" smokers will cover air holes in the filter, or smoke more often to get their fix.

One big difference is how you take a puff, it's very different when vaping, this is a great tutorial....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/337017-inhalation-technique-e-cigarette.html#post7351432

autobiogphnation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
The biggest thing is you have to have the will power to want to vape instead of analogs. Cig-a-like products like blu are not the greatest but sometimes it's the right start in terms of exposure.
The start of anyone's vaping experience can be a lot of trial and error because initially you won't feel OK with spending big amounts of money on something, you'll want it cheap because you're not sure. If you have friends who vape, ask if you can try their device/liquid. You've got to find something that will work for you.

When I started I had blu batteries and using vision nano clearos. I would go outside with the smokers at work to get used to it and make a habit out of it to stay off analogs. Shortly after I was using them in my car, keeping along the same time length of when I was out with the smokers. Eventually I upgraded the batteries to ego and started using them inside at work, taking maybe three good drags when I wanted it. Now I'm on rebuildables on provaris and value whenever I feel like it.

Vaping won't give you that nicotine rush as quick as a cigarette, it'll take a little longer to be absorbed. But if you miss the throat hit start looking into devices that can give you the power and wicking to get up to something that well satisfy you. With the egos I was asking 5-6 watts. When I got my provari I went about 6-7 watts, now I'm going 10 watts with a kayfun and 1-2 vapes keeps me satisfied plenty good on 12mg nicotine.

I only seem to chain vape in my car on the way home from work and sometimes when relaxing in my chair at home.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
Although I just started today I found myself taking 3 lung fillers to kill the urge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thats normal. Remember the molecules in vapor are larger than in smoke. So we dont get the nicotine as fast. Usually when I get up in the mornings first thing I do is some lung hits til I get satisfied. (get my nicotine fill) Then the rest of the day for the most part I take normal hits like a cig. Someone else posted to get good equipment and batteries. I cant stress enough yes DO THIS its very important. If you want to know what you need you first have to figure out what your mising....throat hit, taste, vape, or something else. There are so many tanks, drippers, and attys out there so find one you feel will suit your needs. ALSO Juice is just as important if your juice isnt giving you throat hit or the nicotine you need find some that does. Ive dealt with the crappy juice issues and it sucks. Batteries wow how important is it to have a good vv or vw mod to last you through the day I think Box mods rock but thats me many different shapes and sizes of battery mods out there. Get one that suits your taste and your needs. I like my e-lvt but to be honest someone else here may have had one and hated it because it only adjusts to 15 watts and that wasnt enough to suit their needs. Its all personal preference. Some people chase clouds with drippers and sub ohm coils but the main thing is they arent smoking. I have heard different people in my vape shop say they vape 0mg nicotine. But its because if they have beaten the nicotine habit but the had and mouth habits are still there or they simply vape for enjoyment

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for more than 20 years, like you i started with a high nic level juice, I found the 24 mg actually to be too high, went to 18mg for a few weeks, then lowered it to 12mg as I found i wanted to vape more often, because I enjoyed vaping, much more than smoking. I've had no real nicotine craving. I believe studies I've read about on this forum say ecigs are more efficient at raising blood nic lvl than analog cigs, my personal experience seems to confirm this. I also recommend not wasting time on the crappy cigarette like ecigs, bet yourself an ego style battery or an mvp v2, and at least a protank or nautilus atty, find some non tobacco flavors you enjoy, and don't worry about how much or little you vape, just keep on not smoking, you'll not regret it.

Ridilen

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2014
Bolton Ontario Canada
I would typically have 1 or 2 analogs every hour, that was just the norm for me. Now I find that I am vaping on 12mg every 5 minutes. Luckily I can do it at work, my boss doesn't mind.

I just find that maintaining a steady level of nic makes it's easier for me. Even with steady vaping I still only go through about 2ml a day.

I don't think there is a problem with it. Like everyone says, it what works for you.

And I still feel a thousand times better than when I was on analogs.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 3 pad chain smoker for 40+ years, so I was destined to be a chain vaper. With cigarettes, you have one to get your nic hit then hold off, try to hold off, then hold off some more, and finally give in a light one for another nic hit. So essentially you are having several highs and lows throughout the day.

Because absorbing nic thru vaping is somewhat slower, I find it best just to vape throughout the day. Sometimes more, like first thing in the morning, but just keep it going. So I just try to remain on an even keel. As my need for nicotine has changed over the last two years, I have gradually reduce the content of my liquid from 24mg to 7.5mg, but I have continued to vape pretty steadily thru the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread