The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

testing ohms question

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by telegraph, Jan 1, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. telegraph

telegraph Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    When building a new coil, does it have to be tested with liquid on it, or can it be tested dry? I see videos where someone puts it on a battery to test dry, and I read somewhere else it needs to be wet.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Sthur

Sthur Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2013
    Denver
    I normally build my coil and then check the ohms, lastly put on a battery without top and fire to see the coil light up nice. If the coil lights up, take off add cotton, assemble, fill tank up, and let wick for couple and vape.

Dry fire coil also helps get contamination off it for the first fire.

3. Kaisen

Kaisen Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you are testing with a dedicated ohm-meter then dry is preferred. They only put a very small voltage through the coil.

If you're testing with your vv/vw device that has a built-in Ω display, you may want some liquid there so you don't get a burnt taste when you finally use it

4. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    When you are new to building your own coils, you should have a dedicated ohm reader or a digital multimeter. This can be done when the atty is off of the battery device. If you happened to have made a sub-ohm coil by mistake, the ohm meter on a regulated mod may not be able to measure it, or recognize it as a defective coil and display "LO" or an error code.

Once you are more familiar and experienced making coils, and have a set routine of the same wire gauge, number of wraps, etc, this is not as critical. However, its still necessary to measure the coil resistance to assure you won't be pulling more amps from your battery than its amps in continuous discharge rate. Use the Ohm's Law Calculator to confirm this.

You don't need to put e-liquid on your wick/coil until after you've checked the coil for shorts and an even glow across the length of the coil.

5. etchie

etchie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Are you sure you're not thinking about pulsing to find hotspots? If that's the case, you just can't do that dry with cotton.

6. telegraph

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    thanks. I'm not using cotton, just silica wick. Should each wrap of coil light up at same time? Seems like one lights, then the next, then the next, and so on until all light.

7. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    So the correct answer is "it depends".

Are you testing with an ohm meter, are you testing with your PV, is there a wick in the coil, what is the wick made of ..... pant-pant, can I catch my breath before I go on with the list of things that will change the answer?!?

8. floridaBMW

floridaBMW Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    S. Florida
    No u don't need to have wick wet to test coil ohms (silica). I use my Provari most my builds, I have a meter also. The coils may light up sort of one after the other on ur first or second firing. After which they should all light up simultaneously.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. telegraph

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    I am testing with a PV - VV gripper and MVP2. Yes, there is wick in coil - silica.
    What else?

10. shorestyle

shorestyle Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 18, 2013
    Richmond, BC
    Most vv/vw will read sub-ohms, they just won't let you fire it.

11. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

If you are using an ecig battery to check the ohms then you should put it wet; your ecig battery isn't really a tester and probably expects a wet coil. You battery might be putting out high current and if the coil is dry it is possible your coil could get burnt out.

If you are building coils you should have your own multimeter and use that to measure ohms; measuring ohms does not need wet.

12. telegraph

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    Ok, I got a Klein MM200 multimeter. Is this good for testing dry coils? It is difficult to hold the leads in the appropriate (+ and -) places.
    Thanks!

13. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sounds good; guess you could use some aligator clip wires too; hadn't thought of that; I usually have those.

14. floridaBMW

floridaBMW Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    S. Florida
    Using ur PV to meter your builds is fine as u get started. I know u mentioned u bought a meter also which is good. When building with silica IMO u should measure, adjust and test burn dry. It will allow u immed visual results as wetting will force u to burn off the juice first to see if ur coils r glowing evenly. I set up my KF using silica and on top of my Provari every time. I use the PV to double check my build. I've built it this way for a year but still always meter it out. U should visit the RBA section, lots of info.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Chris Black

Chris Black Full Member

Jan 2, 2014
    A, A
    I test on a vamo normally dry then test fire cover with juice then do it all over agin

16. Jake6731

Jake6731 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2013
    Plano,TX,USA
    It should not matter wet or dry..

17. Stosh

Stosh Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    I'll check it dry, test fire it at low voltage to make sure it glows evenly, wet it down, check the ohms again, test fire it again, THEN fill it up and put it next to my face....:) The extra checks may take all of 30 - 60 seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.