testing ohms question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When you are new to building your own coils, you should have a dedicated ohm reader or a digital multimeter. This can be done when the atty is off of the battery device. If you happened to have made a sub-ohm coil by mistake, the ohm meter on a regulated mod may not be able to measure it, or recognize it as a defective coil and display "LO" or an error code.

Once you are more familiar and experienced making coils, and have a set routine of the same wire gauge, number of wraps, etc, this is not as critical. However, its still necessary to measure the coil resistance to assure you won't be pulling more amps from your battery than its amps in continuous discharge rate. Use the Ohm's Law Calculator to confirm this.

You don't need to put e-liquid on your wick/coil until after you've checked the coil for shorts and an even glow across the length of the coil.

Last edited:

telegraph

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
TN, USA
I am testing with a PV - VV gripper and MVP2. Yes, there is wick in coil - silica.
What else?

So the correct answer is "it depends".

Are you testing with an ohm meter, are you testing with your PV, is there a wick in the coil, what is the wick made of ..... pant-pant, can I catch my breath before I go on with the list of things that will change the answer?!?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If you are using an ecig battery to check the ohms then you should put it wet; your ecig battery isn't really a tester and probably expects a wet coil. You battery might be putting out high current and if the coil is dry it is possible your coil could get burnt out.

If you are building coils you should have your own multimeter and use that to measure ohms; measuring ohms does not need wet.

telegraph

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
TN, USA
Ok, I got a Klein MM200 multimeter. Is this good for testing dry coils? It is difficult to hold the leads in the appropriate (+ and -) places.
Thanks!

If you are using an ecig battery to check the ohms then you should put it wet; your ecig battery isn't really a tester and probably expects a wet coil. You battery might be putting out high current and if the coil is dry it is possible your coil could get burnt out.

If you are building coils you should have your own multimeter and use that to measure ohms; measuring ohms does not need wet.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ok, I got a Klein MM200 multimeter. Is this good for testing dry coils? It is difficult to hold the leads in the appropriate (+ and -) places.
Thanks!

Sounds good; guess you could use some aligator clip wires too; hadn't thought of that; I usually have those.

floridaBMW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
S. Florida
I am testing with a PV - VV gripper and MVP2. Yes, there is wick in coil - silica.
What else?

Using ur PV to meter your builds is fine as u get started. I know u mentioned u bought a meter also which is good. When building with silica IMO u should measure, adjust and test burn dry. It will allow u immed visual results as wetting will force u to burn off the juice first to see if ur coils r glowing evenly. I set up my KF using silica and on top of my Provari every time. I use the PV to double check my build. I've built it this way for a year but still always meter it out. U should visit the RBA section, lots of info.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread