TFA/TPA free pipettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
Anyone who has ordered from the Flavors Apprentice will know what I am talking about. Those free pipettes that they include with your order are great, right! Nice little unexpected addition to an order! But, does any one know how many drops per ml those pipettes are calibrated at? When I was first using them, I assumed that they were 20 drops per ml (which is the "norm"). But after seeing the drop size and comparing that to the size of drops other droppers make, I started thinking that there is NO way these can be 20 drops per ml.
So I pulled out my graduated cylinder and conducted about 15 tests (for averages sake) and it averaged to 45 drops per ml.

Has anyone else calculated how many drops are in these freebie pipettes?

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
Also, my last order was 9 flavors, and this was what came in the package. Kinda pointless!

uploadfromtaptalk1428686318507.jpg

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
You really have to check every bottle if you want to see how many it takes to make a ml because all are so different. At least that has been my experience. I use the glass cylinders more for my mixing and hardly ever use these any more. The syringes seem to be more accurate for me and I bought a bunch of those from my pharmacist for very little. Good luck to you.

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
I have been hesitant to buy a 1ml syringe (actually, have yet to find one) because most of my juices I make are smaller batches 3 - 10 ml and often only require 18 or 13 or 12 drops. Trying to measure that out in a syringe would be Painstaking!! so much easier just dropping that number of drops.
But I think I may look into getting a scale and converting everything to weight. That honestly seems to be the most accurate. Assuming your scale is accurate and calibrated.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
And how many drops is that?
I use those same little pipettes. Mine ended up being 40-42 drops per ml. I had all but given up on DIY until I got to thinking about it. It happened exactly the same as you. I was looking at the drops coming out of it and said "no way those drops are big enough... let me check." Now I'm having a ball making juice!

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
I use those same little pipettes. Mine ended up being 40-42 drops per ml. I had all but given up on DIY until I got to thinking about it. It happened exactly the same as you. I was looking at the drops coming out of it and said "no way those drops are big enough... let me check." Now I'm having a ball making juice!
Yeah, that's great to hear! I am going to whip up a couple of different juices using those pipettes at 45 drops per ml (that's what I averaged them out too), and see how that works out. I will be really disappointed if it makes my juices taste even better!! Cause then I'll know what I have been missing!!

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
This is why I measure using a calculator. If I absolutely must measure using "drops" I use the same syringe with the same tip every single time. Too many factors go into the drops per ml equation. For instance, I have had pipettes come with perfect, round holes. I've also had pipettes in the same package, which had some material left over around the hole. Others had a smaller hole cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread