Thanks for all the info, but one question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
I just wanted to thank everyone on this site for all the great tips. I first clicked on one of the high priced sales sites but really didn't have the cash for it, so I started looking around and found this site. I read just about all the info I could and watched a buch of videos as well. I think I may have made a mistake by ordering from China but I'm hoping for the best. They e-mailed and said they were on the way.

I ordered the basic 510 setup with 50mg/18 Menthol and 50mg/18 apple. $54 dollars delivered.

I do have one question, as I am very frugal (my wife calls me cheap) can I actually save money with this setup? I roll my own and it costs me about 20 dollars each week for about a carton's worth.

I see from having read a bunch that a lot of people get hooked on buying ton's of equipment. Is that really necessary or is it more of a luxury thing?

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Buying more equipment can be a luxury and a necessity. Atomizers and batteries do die...juice does run out hence the ongoing investments.

I am also rather frugal and have discovered a few things:

• buy atomizers in bulk. That way I always have extras and they are cheaper then buying 1 or 2.
  • Invest in a battery mod. These range from inexpensive to expensive but are worth the cost. The Li-Ion batteries do eventually die but last WAY longer then the smaller 510 standard batteries. This is true not just day to day but also over the long run.
  • DIY your liquid. The initial investment can be a bit more but it does save money in the long run. Also, I know exactly what is in my liquid. NOTE: There are places to get cheap liquid and many of the shops run sales on a regular basis.
That is just my opinion so YMMV. :)

Fusion_Boy

Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
San Antonio TX
It is not a necessity to buy a lot, from my own experiences it is all about the experience that you have while vapeing and for many people that can be just as simple as ordering a kit and being satisfied with just that . Or going the MOD route and customizing the hell out of these things to get that perfect puffing experience. so while you may be happy with just a simple kit (frugal route), you can also try many different avenues to see if the modifiable PV are your thing (luxury route).

regardless on witch one you choose it will be an pinnacle moment when you finally realize that you are no longer tied down to analogs any more. :thumbs:

C2DR

Jan 11, 2010
NC, USA
Buying more equipment can be a luxury and a necessity. Atomizers and batteries do die...juice does run out hence the ongoing investments.

I am also rather frugal and have discovered a few things:

• Buy atomizers in bulk. That way I always have extras and they are cheaper then buying 1 or 2.
  • Invest in a battery mod. These range from inexpensive to expensive but are worth the cost. The Li-Ion batteries do eventually die but last WAY longer then the smaller 510 standard batteries. This is true not just day to day but also over the long run.
  • DIY your liquid. The initial investment can be a bit more but it does save money in the long run. Also, I know exactly what is in my liquid. NOTE: There are places to get cheap liquid and many of the shops run sales on a regular basis.
That is just my opinion so YMMV. :)
My 901 just arrived today. I ordered a kit w/ 2 atty's and 2 batt's. I know I'll need to replace them eventually, so when you say buy in bulk...how much are you talking...5-10 at a time or 15-20 at a time? I'm all about saving money!

Also, when buying replacement parts for the 901 in bulk...what vendor would you recommend?

P.S. I have a glossy black model

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am not that knowledgeable about the 901's unfortunately. I know that Puresmoker has great prices on bulk atomizers and they do carry 901's. Their bulk quantities start at 5 and get cheaper the more you buy.

I also know that Rocky Mountain Vapor has great everyday prices with free shipping on orders over $14. Yeah, I am so frugal I even take shipping into account. :D

PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

Rocky Mountain Vapor you have reached the mountain top of electronic cigarettes!

Hopefully someone who knows the vendors for 901's chimes in. :oops:

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Fusion_Boy thanks. I think it's going to be a bit of a strugle for me. I am a musician and some of my gigs get pretty long. Say 5pm to 2am. They passed the smoking in public ban including Bars in Michigan. I can tell already that I will need way more batteries to get through the night. Plus I don't think I will be able to play with a PV in my mouth.

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
If you need longer battery life that is still analog-shaped, try a KR808 battery (the threads match up with the 901 atomizers, I'm fairly sure) or mega battery. Regular 901 or 510 batteries only give you 180mah, regular KR8 batts are 280mah and mega KR8 batts are a lovely 380mah.
(Get one of those little "universal USB chargers" and wall adapters for a few bucks and it'll charge 901/510/KR808 batts.)

Or get a PCC for your 510 (or KR8) batteries -- they don't fit the "mega" batts, but they'll hold enough charge to recharge batteries 4-5 times over. They're handy carrying cases, too.

For bulk-priced components if you're not in a hurry, I'd check out HealthCabin, since they offer free shipping with orders over $250 (team up with someone else for a co-op order and it's still cheaper), and a coupon code for ECF members in their subforum here (scroll down on the main site). You get the low prices of hardware direct from China, without the $15-25 shipping that can wipe out any savings.
If you're not ordering over $250, Heaven Gifts is another inexpensive direct-from-China source and is well-reviewed here, and offers the "extra-slow boat" shipping option (registered airmail) for cheaper. (They're planning some kind of special during the Chinese New Year, and I'm crossing my fingers it's another free-shipping special.)

In the model-specific discussion subforums you can also find discussion (or search for "cheapest 901" or "cheapest 510" or something like that) of the cheapest providers of hardware, especially if you're just looking for a few pieces.

Welcome to the forum!

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I do have one question, as I am very frugal (my wife calls me cheap) can I actually save money with this setup? I roll my own and it costs me about 20 dollars each week for about a carton's worth.

Possibly, but not likely. The e-cig is not nearly as predictable and reliable as an analog cigarette. You have to decide if smoking is a better decision than trying to use vaping as an alternative. Do not forget to figure in your long term health care costs when making any comparison. While e-cigs are not accepted as a smoking cessation therapy, it has helped to quit tobacco use.

When you roll your own you spend about $80/month. Pretty cheap. With vaping, you are set back by the inital $54 purchase. You might want to figure that you will need a replacement atomizer every month at a cost of around $10 each. Your may use around 4ml of e-liquid a day (just an estimate) at $.60/ml. Since batteries life on the 510 is reported to be rather short, you may need to have a few extra on hand. For argument sake, figure on one spare battery per month at $10. In the end, an e-cig might cost you $92/month to vape.

If cost is your only deciding factor, analogs win. If you are looking to reduce the harm you do to yourself by smoking tobacco, the rewards may be much more beneficial.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Possibly, but not likely. The e-cig is not nearly as predictable and reliable as an analog cigarette. You have to decide if smoking is a better decision than trying to use vaping as an alternative. Do not forget to figure in your long term health care costs when making any comparison. While e-cigs are not accepted as a smoking cessation therapy, it has helped to quit tobacco use.

When you roll your own you spend about $80/month. Pretty cheap. With vaping, you are set back by the inital $54 purchase. You might want to figure that you will need a replacement atomizer every month at a cost of around $10 each. Your may use around 4ml of e-liquid a day (just an estimate) at $.60/ml. Since batteries life on the 510 is reported to be rather short, you may need to have a few extra on hand. For argument sake, figure on one spare battery per month at $10. In the end, an e-cig might cost you $92/month to vape.

If cost is your only deciding factor, analogs win. If you are looking to reduce the harm you do to yourself by smoking tobacco, the rewards may be much more beneficial.

00020263.gif

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If cost is your only deciding factor, [roll your own] analogs [probably] win [but certainly not regular analogs]. If you are looking to reduce the harm you do to yourself by smoking tobacco, the rewards may be much more beneficial.
Just clearing things up a bit for those who may not have noticed the OP was talking about roll your own.
:)

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Thanks for the replies. It seems if I want to keep it cheep I will have to think ahead and possibly buy in bulk, but over the long term it will work out for me. I can also see a few other things that are advantages. I play in a band and now my state has banned smoking in bars. So I can't even get a cig in inbetween songs I have to wait till the end of the set. Also I can see an advantage for hunting as well. You really don't really want to be smoking up a storm while sitting in a blind. Plus it would be nice to not make up every morning coughing my lungs out. Who knows if I like them enough I might wan't to sell them while I'm at gigs. I have never seen anyone selling them were I live at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread