Status
Not open for further replies.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
Interoperability is great.

It's very convenient that almost all drip tips fit almost all atty's.

But... Has the standardisation of the 510 drip tip hindered the overall development of rta/rda's?

To use a poor analogy, the exhaust systems on quality cars are balanced to the engine.

Should the drip tip of a modern atty not be in balance with the chimney, deck space, and airflow design of said atty?

Personally I'd give up the convenience of interchangeable drip tip for bespoke and better performing custom designs.

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I can not stand proprietary drip tips. You can already match the airflow up with the bore size of your drip tips. Not all 510 drip tips have the same bore size.

Imagine using exotic wood tips. They are pricey. Now you need to buy a new one for every rda and RTA you buy. That $70 RDA now just hit triple digits.

The different parts need to be standardized for modularity.

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
I hear you @Tagi

It seems to me, that while there is some variation of bore size in the current range of 510 drip tips, that this variation is somewhat limited.

I personally find all but the widest bore 510's too restrictive on most of my atty's, but I readily accept that the very widest bore 510's are fine in 'most' instances.

I suspect this is in part due to the atty manufacturer knowing they need to develop an atty that does work with a 510.

I'm asking if, freed from this constraint, the manufacturers
would come up with improved designs.

Too be honest I pretty much buy a new drip tip for every new atty (unless I like the one it comes with) and don't swap them about.

Reactions: MMW and Tagi

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
If anything 510 DT's open up the world of options. As Tagi stated, the bore, material and length are all customizable regardless of what someone's intentions were with creating a tank Or RDA. It's like attys without adjustable airflow. It's kind of a crapshoot.
Proprietary drip tips have turned me away from purchasing tanks, to be honest. The G.mini comes to mind.

Great topic btw!

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
The RDAs and RTAs that go for maximum airflow usually include some sort of chuff or like the Kennedy a larger then normal drip tip.

My most used RBAs (narDA, Raptor, Veritas, and Marquis) are about equal to a regular wide bore drip tips on airflow. friction fit will slightly open it up, and standard drip tips slightly tighten it.

Reactions: MMW

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
Ha ha, it was actually the G-mini that got me thinking about this.

It seems to me to be an example of an uncompromising design, where the manufacturer custom sized the drip tip bore to best suit the atty.

So you see, I'm not necessarily talking about ultra high power, cloud chasing setups, but just breaking the 510 handicap to get the best possible design solution.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Personally, I'm glad that the MT and Ohmega alpha use the 510. While they are two options of biggest air RTAs atm, I can still change out the tips. The Ohmega has a standard fixed wide open airflow and I put a more restrictive tip on and love it.

EDIT: I have the Gmini and dont use it much because of the DT. Not being able to have an option there is that tanks downfall.

Reactions: Caterpiller

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
*Tries to fit 6 different driptips on the same atty*

Wobbles. Too snug. Falls out. Can't fit. Protrudes in weird ways. Touches center post.

Are you saying there's supposed to be some kind of standard these guys are following? :lol:
(I get what you're saying. Just clowning around.)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Interoperability is great.

It's very convenient that almost all drip tips fit almost all atty's.

But... Has the standardisation of the 510 drip tip hindered the overall development of RTA/RDA's?

To use a poor analogy, the exhaust systems on quality cars are balanced to the engine.

Should the drip tip of a modern atty not be in balance with the chimney, deck space, and airflow design of said atty?

Personally I'd give up the convenience of interchangeable drip tip for bespoke and better performing custom designs.

There is no need at all to make an atty with a completely incompatible drip tip.
All that is needed is an adapter included with the atty so that the user has the option.

When I got my first kayfun it came with the default setup with a screw in drip tip.
A simple screw in adapter made it possible to use a standard 510 drip tip, but I had to order that separately.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
i may-be an old fart in terms of vaping compared to you guys, but i just dont get your allure toward "big bore drip tips" and "WIDE airflow holes" and all of that... I don't understand why all these new vapers are trying their damn best to look like a wood burning chimney when they vape.... Why back in my day, we were happy if our cartomizer even emitted vapor at-all, let-alone if it created big plumes. What's the point of all of this BIG VAPOR propaganda? Whats the point?? Back in my day we wanted vaping to replicate smoking. Now it seems like you new vapers want it to replicate inhaling from a diesel smoke stack. Why, I remember helping to popularize the term "Tail Piping" which was a term for vaping directly from the 510 atomizer, without drip-tip. I thought that was big vapor, back then. I love the ability to adjust my airflow, because I like a medium-sized airflow hole. I like vapor, but I COVET throat-hit. I NEED throat-hit. I wouldn't even notice I was vaping even with big clouds, if I didn't feel a nice kick to the throat w/each hit. What ever happened to that?? What ever happened to throat-hit lovers??? lol. Seems like EVERYONE is happier Direct2Lung'ing rather than Mouth-to-lung hitting, for that nice throat hit! I don't get it! Weren't you more-so addicted to the kick to the throat that cigs gave ya, than the amount of SMOKE they emitted?? I just don't understand the allure of big vapor. Sure it's fun but it's not necessary, where-as, in my humble opinion, throat hit IS necessary, and if you're using 60w, you have-to use a low mg nicotine juice, and it's NOT going to give you the same TH as a higher mg juice at a lower wattage!! So WHY is there so many cloud-chasers and so little throat-hit chasers? I'll just never understand it...

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
IMG_20160113_232048_edit.jpg

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
@Plumes.91

The thread has nothing to do with Cloud Chasing.

The example I gave was the G-mini, which is not a high power RTA, and I normally use it at 22w, never higher than 27w.

I'm not talking about wide chuff caps, I'm discussing the design possibilities of future atty's that arn't restricted to a 3mm adjustment in airflow caused by retaining the connection point of a 510 drip tip.

I also need throat hit which is why I pretty much only vape my own DIY unflavoured. Usually 40PG, 60VG with 5% distilled water for extra throat hit.

It was was good rant though, keep it up ;)

Reactions: Tagi and MMW

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I use the stock ones 90% of the time. The other 10% are plastic ones for the Nautilus, and I use my Atlantis V1 drip-tip with my Mutation v3 as I lost the original one.

I do feel that the 510 size is limiting as far as wide open airflow, but in that case, I would much rather a slam cap (chuff cap) or just nothing at all. They can only reach a certain diameter before they just simply wouldn't fit, or become too fragile for practical use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread