The BB & The Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I only own the BB. I bought it and a Silver Bullet together as my first mods. Both are great fixed voltage (3.7v), mechanical mods. The little baby bullet hits just as hard as it's big brother.

The BB is built tough, but because it is aluminum it is surprisingly light. It uses a 14500 battery (same size as a AA battery) of 600 ohm (approximately 6-7 hours use) the same as the Alpha uses. The BB's switch is a horn type, side mounted. The BB will vent through this switch should the occassion arise (I know from experience, don't ask :facepalm:).

The BB is a very convenient size for out and about, especially with a lanyard SerenityGear Leather or stealth vaping.

bb-lanyard.jpg BB.jpg BB2.jpg Bella-Phin-Frog.jpg

Edit: I have edited the mah rating above from 900 to the correct 600 mah and corrected the estimated charge usage.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Here's the story. I had not had my mods very long. I developed a habit of storing my mods in my locker at work so that on breaks I could go to the locker room for some quick vapes. I tossed my BB into a pocket of my pants that were hanging on a hook in my locker. (I work in a hospital and wear scrubs while working.)

I return to my locker during a break and reach into the pocket to grab my BB. It was too hot to touch! I got something to remove it safely and could smell the odor of melted plastic. I cooled the BB under the sink and look at the battery.
Trustfire2.jpg
The plastic covering of the battery is melted away and the ends are blown out. There was a black oily substance around the BB's switch, I assume that was a melted layer of paint from my black BB or whatever the battery vented out.

Anyway, this incident was totally user error on my part. I should have known not to place the BB with its protruding horn button in an enclosed space where it could accidentally trip the switch on. The BB did what it was designed to do by venting from the switch, and it continued to work for a few days after this incident. Then the switch stopped firing and needed replacement by Altsmoke, which they did free of charge, including shipping.

The BB, despite it smallish size, may not be a pocket-friendly APV. That's why I invested in the custom lanyard and now hang that from a hook in my locker.

By the way, the battery happened to be a so-called "protected" Trustfire battery. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Flexxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Utah
Thanks for the story.

Glad the BB worked like its suppose to when under pressure, think I will order one.

I been using my ego c upgrade 1000mah battery, I'm basically looking for a good long lasting simple PV
that will hit great and have a battery life longer then the ego.

Think the battery will last longer without needing a recharge?

That leather lanyard sheath is pretty awesome, I use leather daily so I might have to make
myself one, I also deal with a lot of guys who use Kydex so that might also be a cool option.

Last edited:

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
The ego-c that you have is 1000mAh, and the 14500 batteries that the BB and Alpha use are usually 900mAh, so you will end up with similar or possibly shorter battery life. I thought you said you wanted longer battery life than your ego? Maybe look into something that uses an 18650, they are ~2000mAh, which in theory will last about twice as long as your ego or a 14500. My first big batt mod was a roughstack from madvapes. Its simple, light, and batt life is great with the 18650. It is also very inexpensive, but leaves much to be desired as far as the asthetics. Maybe go for the Omega or Silver Bullet, which also use 18650s. They are a bit bigger though(I can only definitively speak for the SB, I have one of those, but have never handled an Omega).

Flexxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Utah
I really want the SB but the size turns me off.

I got batteries (18650 & charger) so all I would need is the SB, if I go with the BB I will need to replace batteries.

What to do what to do.

How does this sound, buy the SB and use one of my ego's as a light backup.
I hike alot and try to keep my weight down, so that's why I was thinking about going with the BB.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Yea, I get your dilemma. I mean its not that big, but let's put it this way. When I got mine, I was surprised when I opened it up. It was bigger than I expected. There are definitely 18650 mods that are smaller- like the SBs sidewall is pretty thick, so its nice and solid, but that is where the increased size comes from. Also, the button on the SB is recessed, so is more pocket friendly and less likely to fire when you don't want it to, compared to the BB.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Or you could get a BB and carry the ego as a backup. I have 2-3 devices on me at all times, and my vape sack with 2-3 more is always nearby or in my truck. You could carry an extra battery or two. When the ego dies, you can't use it while it charges. If the batt in you SB or BB dies, just pop in another and charge the dead one when you get home.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Although I have carried both the Silver Bullet and BB out and about just about anywhere, the BB because of it lightness and smaller size would be the preferred device for this. Silver Bullet is nicer for home vaping. If you are concerned about the shorter battery life of the BB, remember the 1400 batteries are the same size as AA batteries, which are simple to carry one or two extras in a plastic battery case in your pocket.

cement

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2011
Brown Deer
I use a Pheonix dripping atty on my Alpha and carry 2 spare batteries at all times. I also use an 18650 Legacy with a dripping atty and side by side they are almost the same size. The Legacy is heavier however the battery life is much much better. I don't have a SB but I think you will be happier with the SB in the long run. What you need to compare are the batteries not the mods. With that in mind I use AW protected 18650 2600 mah , the black ones. As far as I know their are no 14500 batteries that you can compare to them.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Excellent, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Baditude always makes great photos to explain stuff, and then explains stuff well, too.

Neat story, Bad. Very first ego clones I had were not ones you could turn off, I really like on/off locking switches in case I'm careless but great to know this did what it was designed to do, and even better that altsmoke fixed it for you!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

remember that the name of a battery also provides information. IMRs are a little shorter than Protecteds, and a 18650 means that batts diameter is 18mm and is 65mm in length. Protection circuit will add a little mm though. A 14500 means that the batts diameter is 14mm and 50mm in length. It gets you in the ballpark at least when you are trying to decide what batteries fit what.

Mechanical mods, use protecteds. VV mods with electronics use IMR high drains seems to be how they are used by vaporers

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes, those or the IMR safer chemistry batteries will work, also. I've gotten into the habit of getting my batteries from Genuine AW Batteries at RTD vapor or Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

I also recommend carrying extra charged batteries in their own dedicated plastic cases to avoid accidental touching with metal objects such as coins in a pocket or purse. Battery case

** I'd like to point out a mistake I made. The mah rating of the 14500 IMR batteries is 600, not the 900 that I had listed. The protected batteries claim a mah rating of 750. Since my "accident", I avoid any battery with the name "trust" in it, and use only AW brand.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Any thoughts on the Alpha?

Never actually used one. I believe the BB and Alpha are comparable in size because they use the same battery. The Alpha's power is activated by pressing down on the top of the device. It may actually be spring loaded, but not having actually used one I can't confirm this as a fact. I would think that this would make using anything other than a atomizer or cartomizer rather difficult. I don't know how a wide diameter tank could fit on top of the Alpha and still be able to activate the power.

I remember that there was a video review of the Alpha on the Altsmoke site if you click on the Alpha page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread