The bf mod that should not have had this chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirus

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Can these things die because of a bad leak? Received my torx set and took the back plate off. I just looked at it with a light and put the plate back on because I didn't know what I was looking at and didn't have time to mess with it. After using it for 2 more days it just shut off. I took the back plate off again and wiggle wires but, nothing.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Can these things die because of a bad leak? Received my torx set and took the back plate off. I just looked at it with a light and put the plate back on because I didn't know what I was looking at and didn't have time to mess with it. After using it for 2 more days it just shut off. I took the back plate off again and wiggle wires but, nothing.
They can. I still don't understand why most manufacturers do not coat these chips in a waterproofing layer like dna does their chips.

Sometimes you can wipe the chip down with some rubbing alcohol and get it working again. Just be sure the battery is removed and you give it plenty enough time to let the alcohol evaporate before putting a battery in it.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If it does leak a lot and you want to protect the chip, coating it in clear fingernail polish works extremely well. Just do not apply any on the switches that are attached to the board, everything else can be coated in it and it will keep the board from getting wet and malfunctioning. You will still want to wipe it clean of any leaked juice to let the board dissipate heat properly.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
They can. I still don't understand why most manufacturers do not coat these chips in a waterproofing layer like dna does their chips.

Sometimes you can wipe the chip down with some rubbing alcohol and get it working again. Just be sure the battery is removed and you give it plenty enough time to let the alcohol evaporate before putting a battery in it.
Is it clear nail polish they use for liquid proofing??

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I still don't understand why most manufacturers do not coat these chips in a waterproofing layer like DNA does their chips
It's one additional step. Many Chinese board fitters might not have the hardware or charge extra. Usually this is done for boards used in industry/military, few consumer goods actually are coated. I agree though that ours should be and I'd be willing to pay $1 extra :D
Not exactly. It's called "conformal coating"
Conformal coating - Wikipedia
While some of them might seem similar to nail polish they're not the same, they're both made for different purposes (eg conformal coating has high dielectric strength). Conformal coating can be bought as spray-on at electronics suppliers.

Edit:
If you do decide to use nail polish then yes, go for a clear one. Colored or glittery ones may contain metal dust/metal based pigments.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Not exaxtly, untar has covered that though. But clear fingernail polish can be used and works very well. A lot of smaller mod makers and custom mod maker use it all the time.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it just slid out or not. Wish I knew where it is leaking. Tinker time.
    They leak at the 510 internally.
    Liquid shows up at the back, on the bottom.
    I had 2 that leaked. One was replaced from Eight Vape, another replaced from MyVpro.
    MyVpro is a Vandy Vape service center.

score69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if it just slid out or not. Wish I knew where it is leaking. Tinker time.
    Why not just return it under warranty if you haven't opened it yet? That's what the 6 month warranty is for.

I've got two in active use, no leaks yet (that I can tell). Hoping the rest of mine behave the same when they go into the rotation.

Even if you didn't buy it at MVPro, they should take care of you since they are the authorized service center in the US as @puffon mentioned

Cirus

ECF Veteran
    Dec 13, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks. I like to tinker and try to fix things. I don't care about a warranty. If I can't fix it I'll just get another or something else, although the market for my style of regulated (non-dna because I am going through a divorce and only have a chromebook ATM) mods is bare (I don't do facebook). I don't even want a pc but I'm thinking about getting a cheap refurbished just so I can have dna back - get a dna squonk mod (I have dna mods that are not squonkers, but I'm squonk only now).

Wiped it down and after letting it sit overnight, put it back together and it's working again at least. Although I like to tinker, going through this nasty divorce I don't think I'm up to soldering, so I don't see much hope for fixing this thing, because I'll have to undo and redo some solder points to really get it apart.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks. I like to tinker and try to fix things. I don't care about a warranty. If I can't fix it I'll just get another or something else, although the market for my style of regulated (non-dna because I am going through a divorce and only have a chromebook ATM) mods is bare (I don't do facebook). I don't even want a pc but I'm thinking about getting a cheap refurbished just so I can have dna back - get a dna squonk mod (I have dna mods that are not squonkers, but I'm squonk only now).

Wiped it down and after letting it sit overnight, put it back together and it's working again at least. Although I like to tinker, going through this nasty divorce I don't think I'm up to soldering, so I don't see much hope for fixing this thing, because I'll have to undo and redo some solder points to really get it apart.
    The return from Eightvape I had to send back the leaker mod.
    The return to MyVpro just required a photo, and they sent out the replacement mod only no doors.
    When I opened the one leaker, I still had, there was no way to repair the 510, other than maybe replacing the 510 with an aftermarket 510 assembly.
    Might be worth a try to ask MyVpro if it can be replaced, even though it was opened.
    It's a known issue, and they may honor the warranty.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    That is really interesting to know, I am a prime candidate for doing this to like EVERY mod I own, maybe not so much for leaking through the pin (although I'm not going to say I've never done it) but like external liquids.

I guess I never thought to query how some mod boards are waterproof and now I know. I'm not sure I'm a prime candidate for EXECUTING this, but soon, the husband is gonna know. :)

Anna

Reactions: puffon

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I guess I never thought to query how some mod boards are waterproof and now I know. I'm not sure I'm a prime candidate for EXECUTING this, but soon, the husband is gonna know. :)
    Be careful about not waterproofing any switches, USB ports, and possibly the screen connector. As if you do, they may not ever work again.

One thing working with electronics for decades, the thing I always worried about with that coating, components may not get enough cooling. But I guess it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Since this is done all of the time with few overheating failures.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If it does leak a lot and you want to protect the chip, coating it in clear fingernail polish works extremely well. Just do not apply any on the switches that are attached to the board, everything else can be coated in it and it will keep the board from getting wet and malfunctioning. You will still want to wipe it clean of any leaked juice to let the board dissipate heat properly.

I wonder what Thermal Insulating effect nail polish May or May Not have on a Mod's Board?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread