The CEO from Blu Cigs on VP Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I think the folks at Johnson Creek would make for one hell of an interesting interview.
I agree ...
However, I wouldn't expect them to step too far out of line
(in public) with Blu's position ... A balancing act thing because
they are the exclusive juice supplier for Blu.

I speculate there has been some discussion regarding
the possibility of Lorillard purchasing Johnson Creek.

Last edited:

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
I agree ...
However, I wouldn't expect them to step too far out of line
(in public) with Blu's position ... A balancing act thing because
they are the exclusive juice supplier for Blu.

I speculate there has been some discussion regarding
the possibility of Lorillard purchasing Johnson Creek.
I had to chuckle when the interviewer asked Healy about his future plans for JC. As if he was going to say anything other than "We're sticking with them."

The more astute question might have been: "How come you don't start your own liquid manufacturing operation?"

ByeByeCoffinNails

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
Kakapo Kountry (New Zealand)
I think Mr Healey's attitude is summed up by the fact that he did not understand what VV is or why people would desire it.

That and he smokes cigarettes and cigars and does not seem able to stand behind his own product (apart from encouraging others to buy it).

I can only guess that post-interview, Mr Healey's phone will have been buzzing with calls from the Blu/Lorillard PR Departments screaming "Did you not read the brief we sent you?!" and the CEO of Lorillard's PA requesting an immediate meeting. We'll be lucky to hear another interview with Mr Healey again unless there is someone next to him with the ability to keep him on the straight and narrow.

I was not part of the "negative Nancy" camp. In fact I was quite neutral when the interview started. However, when you place this interview next to the interview with the CEO of Lorillard which was on the Vapeteam last week, a picture begins to emerge which though not entirely negative, is not entirely positive either.

panachronic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
WA
However, when you place this interview next to the interview with the CEO of Lorillard which was on the Vapeteam last week, a picture begins to emerge which though not entirely negative, is not entirely positive either.
Eeyup. In fact, I'm not so sure that the Lorillard guy doesn't know more about vaping than Mr. Healy does.

TTK

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Johnson City, TN
I listened to the interview and came away with a few thoughts. One, that Healey is one focused guy on what makes Blu a success. Two, that he confirmed rolygates post( if I understood it and remember it correctly) that people vaping 16 mg eliquid are essentially absorbing no nicotine, or at a level so low it doesn't register. thus Healey's statement about one Blu carto @24mg being the equivalent of one cigarette. Three, he made an interesting and correct analogy IMO on bottled juice being like "roll your own", where people people buy bags of cut tobacco to roll their own cigarettes. Big brand named cigarette companies do not get into bag tobacco, thus Blu will not get into bottled juice. Four, that Blu will focus on the mass market and as the mass market increases, the "mod" users will increase. Finally, that whatever Blu markets will be simple for the user, with no fiddling around with the device to get a satisfying experience.
Thought: wouldn't the fact that bag tobacco is available assist in keeping bottled liquid available?

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Anyone know if there's a transcript of the interview? I'm a scan and read type of guy when it comes to an after the fact interview. Listening to an hour long conversation ... I'll do that, but I'd rather see a transcript.

I'm looking for BT to offer packs of prefilled carts instead of do it yourself refill liquids. They want the predictability of controlled profitability in how they sell their product. I don't know where the prefilled carto industry gets their ratios for how a carto equals a certain number of puffs or cigarettes. I find the estimates way off, especially when the nic we get from a puff is about 30% or less than that which we got from burning leaves wrapped in paper.

OTOH, I expect them to produce some pretty accurate juices in their labs that closely resemble the experience of smoking. Their industry depends on QC and flavor. They will develop ways to measure efficacy and reach the goal of paralleling the smoking experience in an ecig juice. After all, how many new members ask the question, "What juice and ecig combo can I get that tastes just like my Marlboros?"

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I expect them to produce some pretty accurate juices in their labs that closely resemble the experience of smoking. Their industry depends on QC and flavor. They will develop ways to measure efficacy and reach the goal of paralleling the smoking experience in an ecig juice. After all, how many new members ask the question, "What juice and ecig combo can I get that tastes just like my Marlboros?"
Speaking for myself ... I hope so !!
:)

I know - I know
There will be those with concerns about BT manipulating

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Speaking for myself ... I hope so !!

I know - I know
There will be those with concerns about BT manipulating

I predict they will be using WTA. I wouldn't mind that, but I want ALL the carcinogens out of my vape. Those little 8ng/dl residuals in the Ruyan test don't bother me, but I don't want to think that more are added in the WTA process.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I'm sure when Jason Healy said e-cigs are only about 20% where they should be ...
He was referring to the hardware as well as the juice.

If the Blu was more satisfying even if the battery life sucks a little ...
Many customers would not migrate to other PVs. I probably would still
be using a 510 if the vape was similarly satisfying as a cigarette. The
510 battery life only sucks because I was puffing more than when I
was smoking ... Puff less but more satisfying thing.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I predict they will be using WTA. I wouldn't mind that, but I want ALL the carcinogens out of my vape. Those little 8ng/dl residuals in the Ruyan test don't bother me, but I don't want to think that more are added in the WTA process.

According to this article by Dr. Neal Benowitz (Metabolism and Disposition Kinetics of Nicotine) the carcinogens (Tobacco-specific Nitrosamines) are all derived from Nicotine itself through the action of nitrous oxide. NO also reacts with the minor alkaloids, but...

Unlike nicotine, the minor alkaloids anatabine, nornicotine, and anabasine and their N-nitroso derivatives are present to a substantial degree as the (R)-isomer (about 16, 20, and 42%, respectively) in tobacco products (Armstrong et al., 1999; Carmella et al., 2000).

So, unless I am misreading the article, it seems unlikely that adding the minor alkaloids can create carcinogens in your e-liquid.

By the way, you can purchase anatabine lozenges manufactured by Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of Star Scientific (maker of Ariva and Stonewall orbs.) Star Scientific, Inc. : Rock Creek Pharmaceuticals Discloses Further Anatabine Patent Filing | 4-Traders

The low dose version is sold to assist with smoking cessation. CigRx Reviews-CigRx mint lozenges reviews CigrxSmokeless Cigarettes Blog

Another version is sold as an anti-inflammatory, to aid with memory problems, and has even been shown to be helpful in an animal model of multiple sclerosis. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...al-model-of-multiple-sclerosis-150513135.html

Last edited:

NC_Fog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2011
Central N.C.
I guess after listening to the interview Sunday night came as no big surprise. I just don't get the compromise attitude. Why would you have the give in attitude walking through the door. We are all suppose to be in this together. So you give them the "loose juice" and internet sales, I almost guarantee you within 2yrs they will be back for the flavors. Also keep in mind the real masses(80% non smokers)would like nothing better than to see no tobacco products where they purchase drugs or food. No government intervention needed on this one. It's already happening. The ANTZ are relentless and we are small.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread