The Clapton coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdee3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Mercersburg pa
I made this coil by wrapping 32 gauge around 24 gauge. The idea came to me when a friend of mine was jamming on his guitar, thought to myself wow those strings would have a lot of surface area. This coil is .5 ohms it vapes like a .2 ohm dual coil, I am loving this build.
4a9a3uzy.jpg
u6ydy3y4.jpg
aqahe7at.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Did this yesterday at the B&M 32 over 26g. 5 wraps .5 ohms and worked great. Think next weekend I'll make a bunch and play around with more builds but so far, it looks to be a winner.

@Rip
Would be cool to see a diamond coil build with a Clapton wrap. Think that's the next step of insanity at this point.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
I've thinking just after seeing the picture of thing glowing you could regulate it according to the infrared heat it was giving off.

Light controller.jpg

This is from the Application notes of the LM338t IC.

The photo transistor would be subbed for a thermopile and be mounted within the tank.
thermopile | Mouser Electronics, Inc.

How did you get it to retain its shape? I have guitar strings and they are very 'springy'.

Last edited:

Extremeodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2009
I whipped up a good foot of this wire using 26g and 32g and with dual 3/4wrap 1/16th in ID coils @ 2ohm, its insane. Quite easy to work with, only issue was the center post hole of my igo-w, it could barely hold one strand. I ended up capturing the ends of the leads under the head of the screw, kinda a PITA but worked nicely. It was really quite easy to wrap the coils after torching the wire, little issue holding its shape. However when I tried it with the 26g core removed, was freaking impossible to make a microcoil. Basically wrapping a spring from a spring, wouldnt even begin to hold its shape.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
8u7aqevy.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Great idea! Love it!

I started wondering if it would work with only the 24g running all the way to the posts . . . . . if the 32g wrap didn't go all the way to the ends. Would the current find the 32? Then I got to thinking, the 24 is so much the shorter path, the lower resistance path . .. . Naw, pro'ly wouldn't jump over there. THEN I got to thinking, why would the current travel the WAY longer, higher res. path in the coil pictured? THEN I looked at the picture again and asked myself, "is that outer wrap even running current?" The glow looks to be emanating from beneath it. . . . . .hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe that's why it meters at .5 and vapes like it's .2Ω?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread