The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The Clapton coil

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by mrdee3, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mrdee3

mrdee3 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Mercersburg pa
    I made this coil by wrapping 32 gauge around 24 gauge. The idea came to me when a friend of mine was jamming on his guitar, thought to myself wow those strings would have a lot of surface area. This coil is .5 ohms it vapes like a .2 ohm dual coil, I am loving this build.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. mrdee3

Nov 26, 2012
    Mercersburg pa
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikey6

Mikey6 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, CA, USA
    That is crazy looking. Stop giving me ideas for random stuff I need to try. How much of a pain was it to wrap that?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. mrdee3

Nov 26, 2012
    Mercersburg pa
    It's not bad I did it by chucking the 24 gauge in a drill and turning it slowly while feeding the 32 gauge on.

5. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Is it 32G or 28G on the outside then?

6. mrdee3

Nov 26, 2012
    Mercersburg pa
    Sorry it is 32

7. SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2013
    Ω England Ω
    im loving that coil man looks awesome

so did you put the thicker gauge in the centre of the chuck and the smaller in the side of the chuck or how did you do it?

8. SLIPPY_EEL

Oct 11, 2013
    Ω England Ω
    it looks just like a heating element on a fire, its.... beautiful :)

9. mrdee3

Nov 26, 2012
    Mercersburg pa
    Yes the 24 was in the center of the chuck and the 32 was on the edge, and thank you

10. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Wow, that looks awesome! I'd love to try that but my eyes and hands won't let me. Killer coil though man!

11. SLIPPY_EEL

Oct 11, 2013
    Ω England Ω
    ive almost got it....

[​IMG]

lol its not the easiest, I didn't wind off enough 32g from the spool and had it going through a hole on the spool so had to stop, dang!
    will try tomorrow now but im running short on 32

12. mrdee3

Nov 26, 2012
    Mercersburg pa
  13. Tintreach

Tintreach Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Did this yesterday at the B&M 32 over 26g. 5 wraps .5 ohms and worked great. Think next weekend I'll make a bunch and play around with more builds but so far, it looks to be a winner.

@Rip
    Would be cool to see a diamond coil build with a Clapton wrap. Think that's the next step of insanity at this point.

14. Zanderist

Zanderist Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    What is the taste like?

15. Tintreach

Tintreach Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It's great and for some reason doesn't seem to burn through the juice as quick as a single wire coil. Dare I say, it may be more efficient?

16. Zanderist

Feb 5, 2014
    I've thinking just after seeing the picture of thing glowing you could regulate it according to the infrared heat it was giving off.

Light controller.jpg

This is from the Application notes of the LM338t IC.

The photo transistor would be subbed for a thermopile and be mounted within the tank.
    thermopile | Mouser Electronics, Inc.

How did you get it to retain its shape? I have guitar strings and they are very 'springy'.

17. Extremeodd

Extremeodd Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2009
    I whipped up a good foot of this wire using 26g and 32g and with dual 3/4wrap 1/16th in ID coils @ 2ohm, its insane. Quite easy to work with, only issue was the center post hole of my igo-w, it could barely hold one strand. I ended up capturing the ends of the leads under the head of the screw, kinda a PITA but worked nicely. It was really quite easy to wrap the coils after torching the wire, little issue holding its shape. However when I tried it with the 26g core removed, was freaking impossible to make a microcoil. Basically wrapping a spring from a spring, wouldnt even begin to hold its shape.

18. Zanderist

Feb 5, 2014
    heat it with a blow torch on its form and then dip it into a thing of water.

19. Mitey F

Mitey F Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Here's a slightly different question... what are you shooting with? Those are nice sharp photos.

20. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Great idea! Love it!

I started wondering if it would work with only the 24g running all the way to the posts . . . . . if the 32g wrap didn't go all the way to the ends. Would the current find the 32? Then I got to thinking, the 24 is so much the shorter path, the lower resistance path . .. . Naw, pro'ly wouldn't jump over there. THEN I got to thinking, why would the current travel the WAY longer, higher res. path in the coil pictured? THEN I looked at the picture again and asked myself, "is that outer wrap even running current?" The glow looks to be emanating from beneath it. . . . . .hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe that's why it meters at .5 and vapes like it's .2Ω?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.