The Controversial HH 357: My Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pmat13

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
California
Hello All,

With full awareness that there are many who have tried the HH 357 and many who have not, I feel I should throw my 2 cents on my experience so far regarding the HH 357. About 14 hours ago I recieved two HH 357's in the mail at 2.5 Ohms. It is important to note that I have am fairly new to dripping and have only tried the Cisco Spec Bridge-less 2.5 Ohm from AvidVaper as well, and a Phoenix Rebuildable. I find myself using cartos (IKV Fusion 801's) all the time on my phiniac and have recently tried Boge 510's (For appearance's sake only (hate the big gap between the 801 carto and my Provari Mini) but prefer the 801's more. The Phoenix Rebuildable, despite multiple new coils and wicks, was too airy for me and I ended up tossing it. No matter what I'd have to take very short draws and ended up coughing many times. This was the first dripping atty I had tried. After 1-2 months, I believe, with moderate use of the BL 2.5 from AvidVaper, the atomizer is fantastic. Keep in mind I only drip at home, as being on the road and being a Marine (at the time), caused me to find cartomizers and tanks more convenient. In addition, prior to Cartomizers I've tried a few Rebuildable Atty's such as the Smoktech Titans/Screwtanks and ViVi Nova's. I have tried each rba at multiple resistances and ended up enjoying the Nova's more. I disliked the either too tight or too airy draw of these atomizers despite the use of Air Flow Controllors. Long story short, though the flavor was great (Though not as great as the HH 357 so far or the Cisco Spec BL) I ended up tossing these as well. During my off hours (at home), I find myself dripping and started off with the Cisco Spec BL at 2.5 Ohms. Being that I am writing a review on the HH 357, at the CURRENT moment, I enjoy the BL 2.5 more than the HH 357 in terms of flavor but not vapor production. With that being said, I will not rate/review the Cisco Spec Bridge-less Atomizer during this discussion. I will say that after about 1-2 months of using the BL probably two to three days a week at home after work, the atomizer has seemingly "broken in" and has become very enjoyable as far as throat hit and flavor. The vapor production is decent. Perhaps leaving it around and letting it soak in helped me enjoy it more.

Before you read on, keep in mind that I currently vape Backwoods Brew's Casablanca at 18mg Nic 90% of the time. With the HH 357, this is all I've been using. Now, on to Day 1/the first 12 hours of the HH 357 at 2.5 Ohms.

Day 1/First few hours:
Device Used: Provari Mini
Voltage: 4.6-5 Volts

Vapor Production: 8.5/10
Comments: The Vapor production was outstanding and I only left it at 8.5 because I believe my 801 Fusions produce more vapor and I am leaving room for improvement as these atomizers are known to have a "break-in" time.
Flavor: 7/10
Comments: Perhaps I did not blow out the excess primer enough, but the flavor for the first few hours was decent. It didn't taste 100% like Casablanca. Keep in mind it was either equal to or less than the "Cartomizer feel" in terms of flavor.
Throat Hit: Varies on voltage, but not as strong as the 801 Fusion
Comments: Took me a few draws to realize this particular atomizer requires a strong, nearly straw-like draw to get the best vape for me.

Day 1/Last few hours:
Voltage: 4.7 Volts

Vapor Production: 9/10 (Best I've had but 9 due to room for improvement)
Comments: I find myself in need of a fan or swiping the vapor away due to all the vapor this atomizer produces. It has produced much more vapor since I have found the draw so far, and officially produces more vapor (to me) than my 801 Fusions. If I'm on the TV, unless I'm aiming towards the ground there is so much vapor that I have to wait for it to clear or do so myself.
Flavor: 7.5/10
Comments: I take a draw probably about 10-20 times per hour, while dripping 2-4 drops of Casablanca after every 4-8 deep draws. The flavor has noticeably increased, I get a noticeable extra flavor in my Casablanca that perhaps was the primer. In terms of flavor, it has now surpassed my go-to 801 Fusions, but at the moment I still enjoy the 510 Cisco Spec Bridge-less 2.5 Ohm more (In terms of flavor).
Throat Hit: N/A
Comment: Forgive me, but due to my lack of experience with dripping I do not believe I'll continue this rating unless I notice a large change in throat hit throughout the review.

Additional Comments: I followed the video and written guides on AvidVaper.com. This atomizer does not leak even if I put an extra drop, two, three or four. I keep the mod standing as much as possible in hopes of letting the atomizer soak. Nothing negative to write, but it is important to note that I time my draws, as in I do not let the atomizer heat too much and I wait for it to cool down. I did have one "metally" draw a few minutes ago, probably due to the fact that I didn't realize it was time to drip due to writing this review. I immediately dripped 4 drops of the Casablanca and it is still fine. I keep this atomizer cool and wet as often as possible. I am enjoying it so far and can only hope it lasts for a long while. I do not plan on letting it sit around like the Cisco Spec BL and I will take on dripping during the evening due to this atomizer and hope I find my "at home/relaxed" atomizer because of it. I do not plan on using cartos/tanks while I am home or relaxing. I plan to clean the atomizer every week and will try to update this thread at least every 3 days. So far all is good and compared to all other atomizers and cartos I've used, this thing produces A LOT of vapor.

Last edited:

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
Nice write-up. The HH 357 is the only commercial atomizer I buy/use anymore. Everything else in my arsenal is either a carto tank or some form of rebuildable. My HH's have historically performed as good-as-new for 3 to 5 months a piece. If you follow the directions, you won't be cheated in terms of performance and longevity.

Look forward to seeing your continued love for this one. I have one on my Darwin at all times, which is my "office mod". I drip while on conference calls! :vapor:

The long barrel HH is PERFECT for the UFS as well.

Pmat13

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
California
Nice write-up. The HH 357 is the only commercial atomizer I buy/use anymore. Everything else in my arsenal is either a carto tank or some form of rebuildable. My HH's have historically performed as good-as-new for 3 to 5 months a piece. If you follow the directions, you won't be cheated in terms of performance and longevity.

Look forward to seeing your continued love for this one. I have one on my Darwin at all times, which is my "office mod". I drip while on conference calls! :vapor:

The long barrel HH is PERFECT for the UFS as well.

I hope to say the same in 3-5 months. Regardless, if it does get better in a few days as I've been reading from other reviews, I wouldn't mind if it only lasted 1 month. Of course though, I'd hope for longer. So far, the only noticeable aspect is the vapor production and the fact it doesn't really leak. I hope to find that outstanding flavor I keep hearing about real soon.

Pmat13

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
California
Day3:

Device Used: Provari Mini
Voltage: 4.6-5V

Vapor Production: 9/10
Comments: Not much has changed but this atomizer definitely produces the most vapor I've had out of Casablanca
Flavor: 8/10 (Best flavor of Casablanca I've had, but rated for room for improvement)
Comments: The flavor has already increased and I still taste a tiny bit of something extra, perhaps the primer taste. I consider it to be the best Casablanca taste I've had to date, however I rate it at 8 of 10 only for room for improvement.

Additional Comments: Perhaps I am adding drops more frequently due to my first "metally" draw after writing the first review, but due to that the atomizer slightly leaks at times after dripping. This is not an issue though as again, I drip a little more frequently and the liquid is minimal. One important factor to note is that I can now take a smoother draw and liquid seems to hit the wick/atty a lot faster. Overall, it is now a smoother and more flavorful vape.

Pmat13

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
California
Ill take your advice. I clean them when I notice a flavor drop. Don't think I'll be updating this post too often as I just bought some 901 short barrels. Loving them as well and notice more flavor but less vapor as many have noted. Definitely a warmer vape so I may switch between short barrel 901s and 510s. I don't worry about spitty juice with my delrin rotary tip.

Pmat13

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
California
It seems I've only gotten 2 weeks out of this atomizer as it unfortunately leaves a burnt taste after a recent cleaning. Perhaps it was my fault as I cleaned both this one and a 901 for about 2 hours and blew them out (the vodka) prior to dripping my liquid. The 901 was worst and I threw it out. I have no issues whatsoever and still have another 901 and 510. I don't see how mixing or "over cleaning" was an issue but oh we'll I can't think of anything else. Still a great atty'!

Pmat13

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
California
If you have a variable voltage device, you could pick any resistance/ohm. I would search around the forums or try multiple until you find your favorite. I likee 2.0-2.5 for a balance of battery life and warmer vape. I use 2.0s at 4.4-4.8 volts and 2.5s at 4.8-5.4 volts. Higher resistances seem to have better battery life but a colder vape while lower seem to kill my batteries faster while having a Warner vape. 2.5 for the most part is considered average/standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread