The future of E figs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate saying this and I really do but who thinks E Cigerrettes will eventually get banned ? I mean they are very effective and have to be considered the first real threat to government taxes. I've kinda got the feeling already that vapers feel that this only can last so long.

Be interested in hearing your thoughts, but we saving a fortune compared to analogues and governments are losing billions in the process.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I hate saying this and I really do but who thinks E Cigerrettes will eventually get banned ? I mean they are very effective and have to be considered the first real threat to government taxes. I've kinda got the feeling already that vapers feel that this only can last so long.

Be interested in hearing your thoughts, but we saving a fortune compared to analogues and governments are losing billions in the process.

1: ecigs getting banned:
(a) That depends on your definition of ecigs.
(b) 'ban' is a loose term

2: a threat to government taxes!!
Wow; I expected to see threat to the tobacco industry; it has already crossed the 10 or 20% effect on the tobacco industry revenues.

3: saving a fortune, HA!

Reactions: Steelgirl

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Can't speak for the UK, but there's a good chance of it here in the states. Several states right now are considering legislation to either tax e-cigs out of existence or to ban them outright. If the taxes go through, it's going to be ugly because then you're going to have a lot of people DIY'ing who have no idea what they're doing. And it will just create a black market on top of that.

But that's ultimately what it's all about -- money. The government officials don't give two ....s if people smoke analogs or e-cigs. They just want the tax revenue. And BT and BP don't want to be squeezed out by e-cigs. So, we're basically fighting 3 fronts and it doesn't look good. You're right -- it's all about the money and tax revenue.

As Ben Franklin said, death and taxes are the two sure things in life. Never a better example than what we're seeing now.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers

In the EU / UK ecigs will be gradually strangled in order to kill them off, the legislation is already in place to do that (TPD Article 20). This comes in May 2016 at the latest. After that they'll take about a year to get the enforcement running properly. The idea is to make it too expensive for anyone except the cigarette firms to sell ecigs, and shut down websites as they are 'advertising' (no advertising will be allowed, as is the case for tobacco products). Then vape shops will close up as there is no business in selling cigalikes with 3 flavours. Then the cigarette firms will control the market, and obviously they will strangle it themselves in order to protect cigarette sales.

There is a legal challenge coming up to the EU law, vapers are banking on that working otherwise legal vaping in the UK / EU is finished.

In the USA, the FDA are still working on their 'deeming proposals', followed by their regulations. It is easy to imagine they want to do the same as the EU - kill vaping in order to protect cigarette sales. Governments need the tobacco tax revenues together with the savings on care of the elderly - if smokers die on average 10 years early as they claim, then clearly there are huge savings on the backend as well. The pharmaceutical industry exerts strong influence on government, and they also need to protect cigarette sales in order to protect their drug markets for treatment of sick smokers.

Then you have to add in the US States: they need to protect smoking more than anyone else does.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The States need to protect smoking as they win 2 ways: the tobacco tax revenue and the MSA payments. Apparently NY and California are the biggest winners in the MSA stakes, and if that is the case then you can expect the fiercest opposition to ecigs to come from those two states. As it does.

The MSA funds are a fee paid to each State by the cigarette firms to pay the costs of smoking to the state. This income is immense: over $200 billion projected to 2023. At least, that was the situation until vaping came along. That's why the States are doing everything they can to kill vaping.

Smoking is the world's biggest gravy train. Everybody protects it. If they don't, their jobs disappear or they get paid 1/10th their current rate. This is one hell of an incentive :( It's also the biggest COI going (conflict of interest). The people who in theory are there to protect you are incentivised every which way to keep you smoking.

The greediest, most incompetently-run States sold their projected MSA payments off early in the form of bonds. That is going to cause tremendous problems if vaping kills off smoking - so they have to fight any way they can to stop vaping. That's the reason for all the lies, propaganda and legal attacks coming from the States.

MSA bonds 2014
Tobacco Bonds May Be Dangerous to Your State's Financial Health

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Then you have to add in the US States: they need to protect smoking more than anyone else does.

The state and local governments is where it's going to get ugly. The FDA is still dragging its feet, so federal regulations are probably a ways off. But as we speak right now several U.S. states (Oregon, Texas, and others) have bills in committee that have some very ridiculous provisions (no more flavors, no more Internet sales, no vaping in your OWN car if a child is inside, etc).

Don't worry, guys, they are from the government and they're here to help.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
If smoking and BT were the darling of governments, wouldn't they have fewer restrictions on where one could smoke, rather than more and more every year? I know when I lived in Russia I smoked like a dragon- 3-4 packs a day, or more when I was drinking, which was pretty much every night, because smoking was allowed virtually everywhere...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The States need to protect smoking as they win 2 ways: the tobacco tax revenue and the MSA payments. Apparently NY and California are the biggest winners in the MSA stakes, and if that is the case then you can expect the fiercest opposition to ecigs to come from those two states. As it does.

The MSA funds are a fee paid to each State by the cigarette firms to pay the costs of smoking to the state. This income is immense: over $200 billion projected to 2023. At least, that was the situation until vaping came along. That's why the States are doing everything they can to kill vaping.

Smoking is the world's biggest gravy train. Everybody protects it. If they don't, their jobs disappear or they get paid 1/10th their current rate. This is one hell of an incentive :( It's also the biggest COI going (conflict of interest). The people who in theory are there to protect you are incentivised every which way to keep you smoking.

The greediest, most incompetently-run States sold their projected MSA payments off early in the form of bonds. That is going to cause tremendous problems if vaping kills off smoking - so they have to fight any way they can to stop vaping. That's the reason for all the lies, propaganda and legal attacks coming from the States.

MSA bonds 2014
Tobacco Bonds May Be Dangerous to Your State's Financial Health

Isn't it the bondholders who purchased it from the States that will lose? The States got their money already.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Isn't it the bondholders who purchased it from the States that will lose? The States got their money already.

It's the bond issuer - the State - that is screwed in this situation. Although the MSA payments to the State may drop, the contract to pay the value of the issued bonds does not. I haven't worked with this in a long time - there are ways for the State to get around this by recalling the bond(s) early, prior to maturity date, but it sure won't put them in even a break-even position either. Especially if the State spent the capital raised by the bond issuance.

Reactions: jpargana

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
If smoking and BT were the darling of governments, wouldn't they have fewer restrictions on where one could smoke, rather than more and more every year?[...]

[...]No idea what a smoking shelter is. Is it a home for abused smokers?

Oh, an expert in smoking restrictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread