RDA The K.loud by Boost Vaping Lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
What's the price tag on this? And who has it?

Boost Vaping Lab makes them (they have a FB page - google doc list). They go for $110 USD plus postage. The next batch should be in January some time, but there may be some more spots for the ones that did not pay for this batch just gone.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

markse

Jun 17, 2014
London
Got mine yesterday- beautiful little thing. Bit of a learning curve though in terms of wicking to prevent flooding and the wick is pressure fed so always saturated. So far 2 builds and getting better- last one 1.3ohms 28awg 2,5mm dia vertical. Next will be lower (1ohmish) with coil set higher and closer to central post to catch the air from the holes better. It currently produces more vapour with one hole covered due I think to higher pressure jet from remaining open hole

K.loud cotton.jpg

K.loud wetted.jpg

K.loud wicked.jpg

K.loud ufo.jpg

Pretty tiny for a tank- that's what excited me anyway. The vape so far is very reminiscent of a freshly wicked genni- nice thick moist smooth vapour. Not as flavourful as the ufo which surprises me- but early days
The draw is not really for lung inhalers, which suits me fine. Bit looser than the ufo though

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Got mine yesterday- beautiful little thing. Bit of a learning curve though in terms of wicking to prevent flooding and the wick is pressure fed so always saturated. So far 2 builds and getting better- last one 1.3ohms 28awg 2,5mm dia vertical. Next will be lower (1ohmish) with coil set higher and closer to central post to catch the air from the holes better. It currently produces more vapour with one hole covered due I think to higher pressure jet from remaining open hole

View attachment 397398

View attachment 397397

View attachment 397399

View attachment 397400

Pretty tiny for a tank- that's what excited me anyway. The vape so far is very reminiscent of a freshly wicked genni- nice thick moist smooth vapour. Not as flavourful as the ufo which surprises me- but early days
The draw is not really for lung inhalers, which suits me fine. Bit looser than the ufo though

Thanks for the great pics on the write up. Noticed you went with a vertical build, have you tried a horizontal as well? The build on Boosts FB page looks helpfull, and you will notice the guy wraps a lot of cotton in there (presume to block/stop too much leakage. That is interesting you had better results initially with one air hole closed. I guess my first build will be with the coil running along the chamber inline with air - I noticed there have been some builds opposite to this e.g. in the pictures below.

Here is a build that i would have thought the cotton would stop the air from directly making contact to the coil - due to the cotton being in the way:

This, to me, would be more effective (possibly make the coil higher, in line with air a little more) - as the air would have direct contact without being blocked by cotton:

Here is the video with the build where he wraps the cotton around (uses a fair bit). I noticed he also has a slight angle on his coil:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=874028062641961

markse

Jun 17, 2014
London
Thanks for the great pics on the write up. Noticed you went with a vertical build, have you tried a horizontal as well? The build on Boosts FB page looks helpfull, and you will notice the guy wraps a lot of cotton in there (presume to block/stop too much leakage. That is interesting you had better results initially with one air hole closed. I guess my first build will be with the coil running along the chamber inline with air - I noticed there have been some builds opposite to this e.g. in the pictures below.

Here is a build that i would have thought the cotton would stop the air from directly making contact to the coil - due to the cotton being in the way:

This, to me, would be more effective (possibly make the coil higher, in line with air a little more) - as the air would have direct contact without being blocked by cotton:

Here is the video with the build where he wraps the cotton around (uses a fair bit). I noticed he also has a slight angle on his coil:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=874028062641961

Hiya Com76,

I did see those horizontal builds and the video. But I haven't tried one yet. To me a vertical coil seemed most logical- I had it in my head before the atty even arrived ;) A vertical coil allows maximum symmetry with the deck layout and keeps the cotton as short and out the way of the air as possible.
I'm going to do another build today with a few aims in mind- to reduce the resistance as my theory is you need a bit more power than usual to overcome the constantly saturated wick, and to raise it up and align it better with the airholes. You can see in my third pic that the airholes are quite high and miss most of my coil. Trouble is they are also positioned almost over the neg terminal so some cunning might be involved ;) The air is going to come out and then be drawn at an angle upwards towards the dt so it may work to have the coil high and in the slipstream, though I think you get best results from a more direct high pressure blast to aid evaporation.

My first build was a bit of a disaster- it too was vertical but I thought I'd need a bigger dia to get enough cotton in there to stop flooding. So I built it 3mm dia at about 1.5ohm. It really struggled to heat the saturated wick and the atty flooded. The 2.5mm dia coil works better and to compensate for less cotton on each side to plug the juice channels, I cut it over length and folded it back on itself to double it up which has worked well.

I'm thinking power is key here and wish I had some thicker kanthal- 0.32 is my max so I may have to try twisted

Has yours arrived yet?

Last edited:

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Hiya Com76,

I did see those horizontal builds and the video. But I haven't tried one yet. To me a vertical coil seemed most logical- I had it in my head before the atty even arrived ;) A vertical coil allows maximum symmetry with the deck layout and keeps the cotton as short and out the way of the air as possible.
I'm going to do another build today with a few aims in mind- to reduce the resistance as my theory is you need a bit more power than usual to overcome the constantly saturated wick, and to raise it up and align it better with the airholes. You can see in my third pic that the airholes are quite high and miss most of my coil. Trouble is they are also positioned almost over the neg terminal so some cunning might be involved ;) The air is going to come out and then be drawn at an angle upwards towards the dt so it may work to have the coil high and in the slipstream, though I think you get best results from a more direct high pressure blast to aid evaporation.

My first build was a bit of a disaster- it too was vertical but I thought I'd need a bigger dia to get enough cotton in there to stop flooding. So I built it 3mm dia at about 1.5ohm. It really struggled to heat the saturated wick and the atty flooded. The 2.5mm dia coil works better and to compensate for less cotton on each side to plug the juice channels, I cut it over length and folded it back on itself to double it up which has worked well.

I'm thinking power is key here and wish I had some thicker kanthal- 0.32 is my max so I may have to try twisted

Has yours arrived yet?

Thanks again for your findings so far, very useful. I know 2.5mm dia coils seem to work for a lot of people - I however find 2mm works for me (less time to heat up and seems to work better when the wick is really wet). I think you are right to get the coil up higher - possibly stuff a lot of cotton in the base, and as you said, bring the ohms down a bit .08 - 1.0 (just and idea). Unfortunately mine is still at the post office till Monday. I have the day off from work so i should be able to give a few builds a go. Really looking forward to this one - please let us know how you go with any other builds you make. I have a fair variety of wire so ill report back how i go with it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread