The MISTer Silica Hybrid by VJ Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

leomar

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
San Diego, California
Helo all. I haven’t seen any real threads on this particular mod so I decided to make a thread. I have a love and hate thing with genesis style atomizers. Then I found the Kayfun and was pleased with the ease of use and setup. Therefore naturally the MISTer is the next Big Thing to hit the market for me. I was able to order the Limited Edition version last Friday and hopefully it will be in my hands by the end of the week. :vapor:

Please feel free to post pictures of your setups.
Your likes and dislikes.

The MISTer Silica Hybrid by VJ Mods.
Currently Version 2 is out.

Silica / Mesh U wick hybrid
Modern Simplistic Design/Look
Transparent PMMA- tank Short or Long Or Stainless Steel tanks
Brass contacts
Bottom button firing
Adjustable liquid feed, 4.5 ml tank
Modular construction
18350, 18490/18500, 18650
Brushed Stainless Steel / Aluminum

mifu.jpg MISTER.jpg

Last edited:

Scooby349

Jun 28, 2013
Finland
Hi from Finland. :)

Congratulations about very good choice. I have 2 Misters, old one and new "fullkit". Very good devices :)
I highly recommend using mesh with Mister. Little bit more work with setup, but works great and long.
I believe that you do not understand finnish, but i put couple of links, where is setup pictures:
MISTer -hybridi
MISTer hybridi - Hybridit - Vapefest Finland

and Igetcha69 review:
REVIEW OF THE MISTER SILICA HYBRID ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE - YouTube

I hope that these are helpful and you enjoy about Mister. I have not used provari+kayfun combo since i got first Mister :)

Scooby349

Jun 28, 2013
Finland
I also forgot to mention, if you don't know, that Mister with mesh do not leak. Only when you refill it, you have to open liquid feed and put tissue front of airhole, then blow through driptip, so excess liquid comes out. After that Mister don't leak even if it's upsidedown.
If you like beer, take cold sixpack, use translator with those finnish pages and enjoy about special information about Mister, which you cannot find enywhere else :)
Sorry, if my english is little bit rusty :)
Here is picture about my Misters:
20130614_231507.jpg

Scooby349

Jun 28, 2013
Finland
And because i have little bit time now, here is little tips for mesh setup:
Start for example 4 cm x 4 cm bit of mesh. IMPORTANT: do not cut it like #, but like x. I mean 45 degree angle (diagonal). It makes bending mesh lot easier. #200 is easier..#500 is little stiffer, but works also. (i use #500 now)
Roll it so it fits channels nicely.
Burn meshroll with gas burner to u-shape. (easy way, put it u-shape upsidedown with suction piece, so you can burn mesh right width)
Cut u-mesh to right height.
Ribbon kanthal is easier, but 0.25mm. kanthal with 3/4 round works fine, after that, it is your personal preferences :) (0.8-1.0 ohm is nice)
Make your set up and pulse hotspots off. (half empty battery helps)
When you insert suction piece, mesh and kanthal moves. You can take suction piece off and pulse hotspots off again. You can see glowing kanthal also through driptip and pulse hotspots off.
When you have working setup without hotspots, put your liquids in and enjoy:vapor:
(it may take little while, before device works optimally)

I am sorry about my bad english, but i hope this helps :)
ps. making mesh setup for mister first time may need some nerves (depending how familiar you are with mesh) :)

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I got mine yesterday and plan on building the first coil today. Pretty cool you can interchange tubes and tanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372772303892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372772303892.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 164
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372772343423.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372772343423.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372772365344.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372772365344.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 150

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I know, that you propably don't understand finnish, but this video may be useful:

thank you and will watching now. I built the wick with 3mm silica and it didn't turn out very well as they didn't want to stay in the slots down the side. Gonna get some 2mm wick later and give it another try. Even though it hits pretty well (a bit airy) and flavor is Ok - I know it will be better once it is wicking better.

Question.... How can i tell what version I got? Im not sure because the atomizer head has the holes drilled down the wick raceways as shown on their facebook page for V2 and wonder what the improvements are to V2. Better yet how can I tell which version I have.

Last edited:

Scooby349

Jun 28, 2013
Finland
Question.... How can i tell what version I got? Im not sure because the atomizer head has the holes drilled down the wick raceways as shown on their facebook page for V2 and wonder what the improvements are to V2. Better yet how can I tell which version I have.
If i remember right:
-Little holes drilled bottom of the side channels, so the u-wick stays better in place.
-Improved finger screws.
-Improved heat insulation pieces.
If you have purchased your Mister lately as a new, it is 99% sure it is V2 :)

Edit: With silica you may leave side channels little empty at bottom (do not fill fully), i have read that it improves wicking.

Edit 2: You may consider doing silica so, that one side comes top and one side bottom in the coil (i don't know, if i know correct words)

Last edited:

TroyDestroy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
texas
got mine yesterday. tightened the top oring with some teflon tape and shortened the switch throw with a small oring. vaping great using nextel xc132 aith a 1ohm coil of 28g kanthal. I have 3 strands of wick total at the coil with 2 short and one strand going down both sides into the channels. it is all the way to the bottom of the drilled holes, i'll try clipping those a little higher in a minute. still getting the hang of the juice control. may give the mesh u-wick a try this evening. just an fyi for those of you out there with this device the 18350 and the large tanks are identical in size and threading. im running in 18350 mode using the original metal tank as the battery holder and a clear tank as the tank
1372722195781.jpg

Scooby349

Jun 28, 2013
Finland
just an fyi for those of you out there with this device the 18350 and the large tanks are identical in size and threading. im running in 18350 mode using the original metal tank as the battery holder and a clear tank as the tank
If i remember correct, 18350 battery tube and large tank tube has about 2mm (1/12 inch) difference. Tank tube has also clearance for o-rings.

TroyDestroy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
texas
If i remember correct, 18350 battery tube and large tank tube has about 2mm (1/12 inch) difference. Tank tube has also clearance for o-rings.

that may be. what i am currently using in the picture above is 2 tank tubes. I have a spare 18350 metal tube and a large clear tank coming, i will clarify this when they arrive.

rumthin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
Toronto
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: The mentioning of COOPs outside of ECF is strictly prohibited

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I have both and don't want to give a real opinion until I have built a good wicking coil. Tonight I hope to give it a try now that I have some 2mm silica.

Early builds (2) put it slightly below the Kayfun in flavor with an airier draw.

So far I see good potential.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
got mine yesterday. tightened the top oring with some teflon tape and shortened the switch throw with a small oring. vaping great using nextel xc132 aith a 1ohm coil of 28g kanthal. I have 3 strands of wick total at the coil with 2 short and one strand going down both sides into the channels. it is all the way to the bottom of the drilled holes, i'll try clipping those a little higher in a minute. still getting the hang of the juice control. may give the mesh u-wick a try this evening. just an fyi for those of you out there with this device the 18350 and the large tanks are identical in size and threading. im running in 18350 mode using the original metal tank as the battery holder and a clear tank as the tank
1372722195781.jpg

Do you have an pictures if the build and what mm silica you using? My first two attempts require the juice control to be open about twice as far as yours is in the picture. Also how did you stop juice from escaping out between the mouthpiece and top cap o-ring?

TroyDestroy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
texas
Do you have an pictures if the build and what mm silica you using? My first two attempts require the juice control to be open about twice as far as yours is in the picture. Also how did you stop juice from escaping out between the mouthpiece and top cap o-ring?

Sorry no pictures of the build, but next time I will take some. I am using Nextel xc132 which is ~1mm. It is braided and hollow like a straw. Using 3 stands of this wick, but 2 are cut off right after the coil about 8mm long or about the width of the inside of the chamber. the 3rd wick is the only 1 fed into the channels. I cut the wick where it rests 3mm above the bottom of the channels. I unscrew the juice control top where the first mark is just barely above the top cap, this seems to wick well and not leak.

To better seal at the top cap I removed the pouring, took some plumbers Teflon tape rolled up and inserted into the o ring groove them reinstalled the oring. This was difficult but worth it. No leading and the screw of the air control is tighter and more controlled.

Hope this helps.let me know if you need anything else

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread