Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Here's a good one (thanks to a dear friend on Facebook):

The Moral Panic Over E-Cigarettes Intensifies

E-cigarettes are all the rage with kids these days: What else to do but panic?

Americans have always struggled over the distinction between disapproving of a behavior because it's bad for people and disapproving of a behavior because it makes people feel good. Unsurprisingly, then, the advent of e-cigarettes—devices that allow you to get the pleasure of smoking without taking the lung-cancer risks of actually inhaling tobacco tar—has inspired a new moral panic that looks a lot like the public health campaign against real cigarettes but might not be anything more than old-fashioned priggishness.

But right now the panic over e-cigarettes seems to stem strictly from the fact that vaporizers, unlike patches or gum, are a way to get a nicotine fix that's actually fun. And fun, especially when experienced by Our Youth, is always something that makes the moral scolds shoot first and research later.

Good read :D

Last edited:
It makes a good point.

Mind you, I really want long-term studies before I make a final determination on how I feel about attracting new vapers who never smoked. As far as smokers quitting, it's already a no-brainer.

Interestingly, one smoker in my family refuses to convert because of all the bad things he's heard about vaping. Really? And this could possibly be worse than a cigarette? I think not.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Interestingly, one smoker in my family refuses to convert because of all the bad things he's heard about vaping.

And that is precisely why so many bad things are published about vaping. To frighten people away from making the healthier choice.
I have heard a similar thing from two people (smokers) that I know. "I stopped it and went back to smoking. Because I heard that vaping is so dangerous". Duh...
Although, if the person actually listens to an experienced vaper - or actually takes the trouble to read up on the subject (read up on it, not consume mindless drivel) then the choice should be clear :)

But until they do, they keep on paying cigarette taxes. Which is, of course, the intention of all the "bad press".

edit:
Anything a puny mind cannot comprehend is automatically evil and to be crusaded against.

Well said! Mind if I quote that?

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I get so sick and tired of these types.....

LA Council President Herb Wesson, himself addicted to actual cigarettes, got emotional during the debate. "When you’re 15, you want to be cool," he said. "And I will not support anything—anything—that might attract one new smoker."

They think they are 'being cool' by attempting to make what was similar to a pretty good quote attributed wrongly to Voltaire:

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

This is a perfectly good concept to hold as a civil libertarian (or anyone with the sense of what 'rights' are), .....but the above is a bit more like (Michael Richards) Kramer's failed attempt to invoke/imitate Lenny Bruce. This guy dismisses all the people whose life may actually be saved by ecigarettes, to allude to some fantasy of saving some kid's life he's doesn't know, and if he did, would likely have nothing whatsoever to do with! :facepalm:

Yet sadly, some people are influenced by what they perceive as an emotional "outburst of caring" when in fact, it's just politics.

Last edited:
And that is precisely why so many bad things are published about vaping. To frighten people away from making the healthier choice.
I have heard a similar thing from two people (smokers) that I know. "I stopped it and went back to smoking. Because I heard that vaping is so dangerous". Duh...

Exactly. I'm not a chemist or a doctor, so I called on a friend and my doctor. Both of whom looked at it, told me the durned thing could be half tobacco and they'd still be thrilled with the change, and gave me their blessing. Per my doctor, PPM ranges mentioned of contaminants and breakdown products simply wasn't likely to be an issue over a lifetime of first-person use, and was much healthier for those in the household who are forced to re-breathe my leavings all the time.

But until they do, they keep on paying cigarette taxes. Which is, of course, the intention of all the "bad press".

So I've always assumed. States are addicted to their sweet, sweet tobacco taxes. Maybe they could go tax fattening foods instead?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
It makes a good point.

Mind you, I really want long-term studies before I make a final determination on how I feel about attracting new vapers who never smoked. As far as smokers quitting, it's already a no-brainer.

Interestingly, one smoker in my family refuses to convert because of all the bad things he's heard about vaping. Really? And this could possibly be worse than a cigarette? I think not.

I think we've all got that speech as a smoker coughed out their objections to vaping.

I think we've all got that speech as a smoker coughed out their objections to vaping.

On the up side, he doesn't bum smokes any longer when he forgets. 'Cause my vegetable glycerine is, apparently, fine in food but toxic when inhaled or something.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
On the up side, he doesn't bum smokes any longer when he forgets. 'Cause my vegetable glycerine is, apparently, fine in food but toxic when inhaled or something.

LOL, I see that every week. Guys bumming smokes are trying to find a light. A major advantage of vaping. I used to carry a pocketful of lighters so one was always quickly found.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Mayor Nutter in Philly want a "new tax" on cigarettes to help fund schools. I didn't realize smokers were responsible for educating kids. Perhaps they should tax parents for having them.

Well....
If taxes on tobacco cigarettes are raised to fund schools.. then banning e-cigs to keep smokers smoking (and paying that tax) is really "for the children", eh? Talk about perverted logic.

On the other hand, of course, when parents die of lung cancer - because e-cigs were banned and they could not make the transition - what about the children then?

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
I loved this part... perfectly describes it:

The idea here is that, because nicotine is addictive, people might get addicted to it with vaporizers and then, for reasons utterly unexplained, just switch to the stinkier, more expensive, more socially taboo nicotine delivery systems known as cigarettes. Because reasons. Hey, it's our youth! Be afraid.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The idea here is that, because nicotine is addictive, people might get addicted to it with vaporizers and then, for reasons utterly unexplained, just switch to the stinkier, more expensive, more socially taboo nicotine delivery systems known as cigarettes. Because reasons. Hey, it's our youth! Be afraid.

This points out the real problem. Since e cigs are currently much tastier, much less expensive and much safer, the playing field has been unbalanced. You you tax them at a level that will take away that advantage and only allow flavors allowed in cigarettes, safety will become a non-issue and people will return to the product that has made TC a major industry.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
LOL, I see that every week. Guys bumming smokes are trying to find a light. A major advantage of vaping. I used to carry a pocketful of lighters so one was always quickly found.

Several years ago when I first began vaping, I was using a cig-alike and had gone outside to the smoking area to be with my friends (it was also a very pleasant day). A guy came up to me and asked for a light. Now that's what I call realistic looking.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Mayor Nutter in Philly want a "new tax" on cigarettes to help fund schools. I didn't realize smokers were responsible for educating kids. Perhaps they should tax parents for having them.

He also wants to triple my property taxes. The Philadelphia school system's been a controversy-embroiled disaster for years; apparently fixing it is my problem, even as the corrupt architects of the sad situation float to safety with the aid of silver parachutes.

Happily, his brazenly regressive proposal to impose a flat $2 tax on cigarettes sold within the city limits was stopped in the state senate, but Nutter will continue beating on the increasingly poor citizenry of our once proud city until morale improves. On the upside, he's probably the most aptly named politician in history. I'll give him full marks there.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
It makes a good point.

I wish legislators took their time before deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread