The more I read the more confused I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedelein

Mar 30, 2010
Texas
There is so much information here. I've been reading as much as I can but it is still confusing. Is there an ultimate e-cig that everyone likes or is it that everyone is different so what works for one person will not work for someone else? I suspect that it is that everyone is different. How do you financially afford to try different models? While it may be cheaper than analogs in the long run buying all of this equipment is expensive, at least it has been for me. My husband is concerned with the money that this going to cost us, that we don't have. A carton of analogs costs us $51.90 cents, getting all of this equipment has so far been much more than that and I'm not even sure I have the right equipment. It's going to be a waste of money if I have to buy other models. I guess I'm just frustrated reading that such and such is the best or such and such is much better than such and such. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

dedelein

It's true there's a lot to read and learn. You can spend a couple weeks just reading and making notes. Yes, it may seem pricey to get started. But: once you've got your "stuff" the cost is pretty low. Even if you spent $150 that's only three cartons of cigarettes.

You have to WANT to stop smoking. And then be willing to put in some research time so you'll be happy with your starter kit. Some people get lucky and have a friend who vapes; they can "preview" some models that way. Or find a local vapers club meetup.

A 510 model or a KR808 model makes a decent starter kit. You can progress from there, or some stay there.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
What do you have now? Or what do you have coming? There are two or three models that we recommend to most newbies. The Joye 510 or the KR808 are good models and they are very popular and inexpensive. If you need more battery life than you can get from those two, then the eGo is the best choice. It's a 510 model but it has a bigger battery than the standard 510. They can all be purchased for around $30-$35.

kmac

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Louisiana
Yes it can be very confusing. And no there really isn't a "perfect" ecig but there is probably one that will be perfect for you. That's why you'll get so many different responses about what to get.

There certainly are some that are considered better, and some that are without a doubt complete crap, but it will all come down to what will appeal to you the most. If you give some detail on what is most important to you, you'll get more specific responses.

For example, is the size of the ecig important? Is the cost a factor? Do you need long battery life? These are just some basic questions to ask yourself that will help people give you some examples that might more closely match what you are looking for.

And I'll tell you I have wasted a lot of money on ecigs that didn't cut it for me, but once you get the one you love, your costs will go down dramatically as you will only need to replace juice, attys, carts for the most part. All that stuff can be found pretty cheap. Either way, better to spend the money now and find the right one for you than to give up and go back to analogs IMO

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I guess I'm just frustrated reading that such and such is the best or such and such is much better than such and such. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

dedelein

It can be very confusing.

But let me ask you this. How much are you spending every month right now on cigarettes?

I was spending about $175 a month. So even though I bought a New e-Cig every month for 4 months before I got to an eGo, I was saving money versus buy cigarettes.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Most people start with one of these

Manual batteries recommended for all. PCC charging cases available for all.

Joye 510 - slim, small, starts as a 3-piece but can be used as a 2-piece. Very supported - lots of atomizers and cartomizers available for 510 models. Low battery life (1.5-3 hours or you can get the inch longer mega xl batteries for 3-5 hours charge life, all charge lifes less if vaped constantly) - I use blank cartomizers on one of these - been refilling the same cartomizer for over a week. Fewer prefilled cartos available, lots of blank types

KR808D-1 (also sold in colors at Vapor4Life.com) - a dedicated 2-piece with plenty of prefilled cartomizers available and a smaller selection of blank cartomizer. Battery life as long as 510 mega batteries (3-5 hours). Thicker than a 510. Probably the 2nd most retail market-supported model after 510 models.

Ego, Riva 510 - fat battery version of 510, battery lasts 6-8+ hours, can use more power-hungry harder hitting LR (low resistance) 510 atomizers or cartomizers. Anyone who needs or wants this extra longer battery life or harder hotter drags or the ability to use tanks of juice is advised to go right to these models.

BTW - prefilled cartomizers are just a slight convenience because whether you use carts or cartomizers you will be adding ejuice to them. Carts and cartos do not last as long as a pack of cigs. That is a web rebrander lie. But if you add juice while they are still damp, they can last days to a week and sometimes more.

Yes - I spent a lot to get started. I spent more to set up charging and cables at home and at work, get a PCC, get spare parts - but at least I paid normal retail prices, not jacked up "made-up name" model prices. I spent a good amount finding 2-3 all-day juices I like. But now I mostly just restock my favorite juices and several I like to use for variety. And I buy blank cartos and usually get 4-7 days out of each. So yes - I invested in my health.

Last edited:

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Is there an ultimate e-cig that everyone likes or is it that everyone is different so what works for one person will not work for someone else?

That pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Everyone has their preferences and vaping is definitely not a "one size fits all" deal. My fiance and I started with simple, inexpensive Riva kits and got a couple of XL eGo batteries a little later. I have since moved up to mods, but he doesn't like dripping and prefers the eGo and Riva batteries. He's happy, I'm happy and life is good.

Vaping will only be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be. I really didn't spend a whole lot of money on my mods. I got my Chameleon in the forum Classifieds and I bought my Indulgence on sale. I've stocked up on atomizers little by little over time and took up DIY juice making. So even with the purchase of my mods, vaping is still a far sight cheaper in the long run than smoking. Start up can be a bit on the pricey side, but it usually works itself out. Once you've got 5 posts, just keep your eye on the Classifieds and the "Pay It Forward" (PIF) thread. You can find lots of good deals on those threads. Many of our registered vendors also have some wonderful sales, so watch out for those, too.

dedelein

Mar 30, 2010
Texas
Thank you all for your replies. I bought the Joye 510 with a lot of accesories for recharging the battery last August. I tried using it and coughed so badly that my ribs hurt so I just chucked it all in drawer and left it there. I just ordered some more juice that is a combo of PG/VG thinking that maybe I'd do better with that than I did with the juice that I bought when I bought everything back in August. I will try that and see if I can vape it without coughing so much. If not I guess I will bite the bullet and purchased a different model and try that. Thanks again

Last edited:

kmac

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Louisiana
I tried using it and coughed so badly that my ribs hurt so I just chucked it all in drawer and left it there.

Yeah this could be a juice issue. It could also be your attys. They need to stay wet to work properly. There is frequently problems with standard filler carts keeping the juice going to the atty. When it dries out, you will get more of a dry burnt taste. The solution for many people for this is to just direct drip the juice onto the atty. That assures it will stay wet. There are also several different mods you can make on the carts to help with this, but I'm not the person to go into that.

Remember, there is a learning curve to using ecigs. It often takes some time and trial and error to find what works best for you. I can tell you that the Joye 510 is a great product and there are many options for it. Try some different juices and browse these pages for tips and tricks and I'm sure you will be fine. There are tons and tons of threads on 510s so certainly no lack of info. Just don't give up :)

dripdaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2011
Lone Star State
Check out this thread. Might answer some of your questions and address some of your issues.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sh-pulls-has-forced-me-back-analogs-help.html

I went through an acclimation period when I switched to an ecig. Kinda of like when I first started smoking analogs. Took a while to get used to them. Lowering the PG will help lower the throat hit. Lowering the nic level will do so as well.

ECF is a great forum with great members who are willing to help. Yes, there is a lot of info here. I had the same "info overload syndrome". Hard to digest it all at once. I just learned I had to take smaller info "bites". All the best with finding out what works for you.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thank you all for your replies. I bought the Joye 510 with a lot of accesories for recharging the battery last August. I tried using it and coughed so badly that my ribs hurt so I just chucked it all in drawer and left it there. I just ordered some more juice that is a combo of PG/VG thinking that maybe I'd do better with that than I did with the juice that I bought when I bought everything back in August. I will try that and see if I can vape it without coughing so much. If not I guess I will bite the bullet and purchased a different model and try that. Thanks again

It's natual to cough when you first start to vape. Most of us inhale into the mouth and THEN slowly into the lungs which will help a lot with the coughing problem. If you do get another model, you next logical step would be the eGo or Riva 510. You will still be able to use your 510 atomizers or cartomizers but have a bigger battery that will last longer.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA

dedelein, I coughed a lot when I first started vaping also. Vaping seemed harsher than analog cigarettes to me. Once I stopped the analogs and just vaped though, the vapor didn't seem as harsh and I was actually trying to get more vapor in each puff.
If I buy a pack of cigs now and smoke more than 7 or 8 in one day, the vapor seems harsh again.
Glad you found this forum dedelein, you will like this place.

acorn54

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
new york
you could read dondabooms article in the sticky section, to cut to the chase as to what ecig battery to buy
personally i don't like the idea of fiddling around. i just want to sit and chain vape with a minimum of inconvience.
i use the elegant. lasts four hours and re charges in one and half hours. so a kit of two and you are good to go.
simply put on a cartomizer (my personal preference is cool cart blanks from vapor for life)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread