Status
Not open for further replies.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I have an Orchid V4 and it leaks on me when I top fill. It only leaks a few drops then it is fine, but its annoying. I have tried bottom filling but its super slow and a pain.
I have read through this thread about it and I assume my issue is not a seal issue, but a wicking/coil height issue.
I've tried more wick, less wick, wick tail in channel but I guess I'm doing it all wrong because it still leaks.
how much wick should I put in there? how high should the coil be?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, could be a vacuum leak too. You really have to seal the holes and do the flip-upside-down thing when you top fill, even when you just remove the top cap and dump liquid in. And if that's what you do, you have to make sure that the top of the chimney connects with the o-ring in the top cap when you put it back on.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I finally got around to buying a couple orchid v6's,and i gotta say they have finally made the perfect orchid.Thses things are great,and have all the features that i wanted from the time i got my first v1.I gotta say though,i'm an orchid freak all around haha,i have 2 v1's,1 v4 and another on the way,and now 2 v6's.By the way Cindy,i followed what we were talking about a while back,i finally ordered that black v4,and got the green m-tank to go with it,also got the small plastic section in green that way if i want more black there,i can use the small window section haha.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Yup, drilled all four holes at 7/64", standard drill bits, lubed with 100%VG, took a total of about 5 minutes. It really didn't take much effort at all.

Well I drilled out to 2.5mm as I didn't have 7/64" and 3mm would have been too big. And while I found an improvement, what I did notice as that with the Orchid you just don't have the juice channels that the Goblin has. I find that after about 30watts I start to get that feeling of a dry hit coming on. Its an improvement granted, but it won't be a Goblin. Looks like I'll still have to buy one. It's always fun though :)

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
with the Orchid you just don't have the juice channels that the Goblin has. I find that after about 30watts I start to get that feeling of a dry hit coming on. Its an improvement granted, but it won't be a Goblin.

Must be your wicking... My mech with 0.33 ohm puts me at over 50W, and I don't even come close to getting dry hits. If I did, 5 minutes with a dremel would take care of that. When the Goblin gets 5ml capacity I'll check it out, but even then, without a top-fill cap and its tiny little deck, it will still trail my Orchid V4's as the all around best sub-ohm tank setup.

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Must be your wicking... My mech with 0.33 ohm puts me at over 50W, and I don't even come close to getting dry hits. If I did, 5 minutes with a dremel would take care of that. When the Goblin gets 5ml capacity I'll check it out, but even then, without a top-fill cap and its tiny little deck, it will still trail my Orchid V4's as the all around best sub-ohm tank setup.

Maybe...I vape pretty heavy VG juice. I have several Orchids going back to the original version. Never had wicking problems before with any of them. But then again I rarely take them over 30 watts on a regulated device. Just too hot a vape for me.

However I do agree on waiting on the Goblin till the 5ml tank. The Orchid is too small for me already. The top fills never really work that well for me anyway. Even though that’s how I fill all my devices anyway. Top fill and rinse under the sink. I just got the new Fogger V6 and although I really like it, I wish it had a bottom fill screw like the Fogger V4.

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I have several Orchids going back to the original version...... The top fills never really work that well for me anyway. Even though that’s how I fill all my devices anyway. Top fill and rinse under the sink. I just got the new Fogger V6 and although I really like it, I wish it had a bottom fill screw like the Fogger V4.
FT has Orchid bases with bottom-fill screws for $5 each. I bottom-fill all mine without using the screw-hole, works just fine.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
If your gettingdry hits,unscrew the chimney a few turns,this is the juice control onthe orchids.You can grab the tip of the chimney where it sits under the drip tip,with a pair of tweezers.Or,you can leave it a few turns out when you have the base off the tank,either way of doing it,leaving it backed off a few turns will make a big difference.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
If your gettingdry hits,unscrew the chimney a few turns,this is the juice control onthe orchids.You can grab the tip of the chimney where it sits under the drip tip,with a pair of tweezers.Or,you can leave it a few turns out when you have the base off the tank,either way of doing it,leaving it backed off a few turns will make a big difference.

Good tip :)

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009

@b.m.I keep telling people this exact same thing....but for some reason no one listens The orchid has juice flow control. Unlike the Kayfun you don't have to tighten the chimney all the way down.

@ Waddle...I even have my cotton going all the way down the channels but if you back off a few turns on the chimney you won't get dry hits. This really helps a lot if you you use the easy top fill cap that fits on the Orchid v4. If you don't have the cotton going into the channels and you try any type of top fill method you will get leaking. But if you have cotton going into the Orchid channels then you have to back off on the chimney to avoid dry hits.

Here is the link to the top fill cap I use and it works flawlessly.....if you follow the above advice.

$4.94 Replacement Top Cap for Kayfun RTA Rebuildable Atomizers - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread