& the REAL Diff btwn SS 316L & 430?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem615

Mar 29, 2013
Surprise, AZ US
It may be posted somewhere here & I missed it (as I do most things) - just is the same with the hype around SS430... Here I am going to order another 3000 ft of my trusty standby - SS316L (24g) and I'm not seeing it listed - but the 430 is everywhere, incl pre-order. While I should be ok w most change, I do tend to stick with what I know I like best - mostly bc Ive wasted sooo much $$ over the past decade of vaping (when it just started to take off in 2010) & to be quite honest - Im sick if trying anything new anymore, just to be disappointed OR fall 8n love with something that turns out to be a short lived trend & then you cant find it anymore! Argh! Don't ya just hate that?!

So it had taken me all this time to find a few setups I like - and I am a huge MTL-er.... I smoked stupid, stanky .... cigs for sooo long & was lucky to switch over to vaping - literally overnight... still have the carton of Marlboro Lights in the freezer, that I bought the very day before getting my 1st really old school ecig the next day. The rest is history, as they say.
I don't sub-ohm or whatever else is hip these days - I don't really care about how huge my clouds are... I just want to enjoy what Im vaping & the method of how I get there has been cemented a few times - before they go and discontinue my tested & true good old stand-bys (boo hoo). So now I have my 'newer' old school setup & made sure to buy handfuls of the MTL RDTA's I use with 1 of my several never leak squonkers (in most every color & battery capacity) & am very happy with making a simple single coil - like a 3/4 wrap approx .18-.21ohms., that I burn at a pretty low wattage & always get really good flavor out of my juice without burning thru a bottle in no time. At this point, I also have no desire to really use anything but SS. My taste is very sensitive, & kanthal has a funny taste to me, nickel just scares me (makes me think of #2 pencils for some reason) & won't bother with titanium, etc. Maybe I'm mental, but SS to me, just screams CLEAN, unadulterated taste & overall safer than experimenting with anything else. Again - it may be that Im just mental - so not necessarily in the mood to hear any arguments on the subject, trying to sell me on something else/ new, or whatever...
JUST really very curious as to exactly what the difference is (in any & every way) btwn SS316L & SS430... Ive been reading , but really havent found any arguments as to why one is better (or different) over the other, etc. SOOO... what's the next best thing (or what should actually be the 1st thing!) to find answers? Ask the people! So thats what aim doing here - ASKING YOU GUYS as to what your opinions are on these 2, experience, whatever... I am just really really curious to know! :)

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
It may be posted somewhere here & I missed it (as I do most things) - just is the same with the hype around SS430... Here I am going to order another 3000 ft of my trusty standby - SS316L (24g) and I'm not seeing it listed - but the 430 is everywhere, incl pre-order. While I should be ok w most change, I do tend to stick with what I know I like best - mostly bc Ive wasted sooo much $$ over the past decade of vaping (when it just started to take off in 2010) & to be quite honest - Im sick if trying anything new anymore, just to be disappointed OR fall 8n love with something that turns out to be a short lived trend & then you cant find it anymore! Argh! Don't ya just hate that?!

So it had taken me all this time to find a few setups I like - and I am a huge MTL-er.... I smoked stupid, stanky .... cigs for sooo long & was lucky to switch over to vaping - literally overnight... still have the carton of Marlboro Lights in the freezer, that I bought the very day before getting my 1st really old school ecig the next day. The rest is history, as they say.
I don't sub-ohm or whatever else is hip these days - I don't really care about how huge my clouds are... I just want to enjoy what Im vaping & the method of how I get there has been cemented a few times - before they go and discontinue my tested & true good old stand-bys (boo hoo). So now I have my 'newer' old school setup & made sure to buy handfuls of the MTL RDTA's I use with 1 of my several never leak squonkers (in most every color & battery capacity) & am very happy with making a simple single coil - like a 3/4 wrap approx .18-.21ohms., that I burn at a pretty low wattage & always get really good flavor out of my juice without burning thru a bottle in no time. At this point, I also have no desire to really use anything but SS. My taste is very sensitive, & kanthal has a funny taste to me, nickel just scares me (makes me think of #2 pencils for some reason) & won't bother with titanium, etc. Maybe I'm mental, but SS to me, just screams CLEAN, unadulterated taste & overall safer than experimenting with anything else. Again - it may be that Im just mental - so not necessarily in the mood to hear any arguments on the subject, trying to sell me on something else/ new, or whatever...
JUST really very curious as to exactly what the difference is (in any & every way) btwn SS316L & SS430... Ive been reading , but really havent found any arguments as to why one is better (or different) over the other, etc. SOOO... what's the next best thing (or what should actually be the 1st thing!) to find answers? Ask the people! So thats what aim doing here - ASKING YOU GUYS as to what your opinions are on these 2, experience, whatever... I am just really really curious to know! :)
I haven't tried ss430, only ss316L. I found this fasttech discussion on it Stainless Steel 430 Grade (Nickel Free): FastTech Forums
Apparently it is better for those with Nickel allergies, being nickel free. Not having this problem, I'll stick with SS316L.

Gem615

Mar 29, 2013
Surprise, AZ US
I haven't tried ss430, only ss316L. I found this fasttech discussion on it Stainless Steel 430 Grade (Nickel Free): FastTech Forums
Apparently it is better for those with Nickel allergies, being nickel free. Not having this problem, I'll stick with SS316L.

Being the lazy creature that I've turned into these days... does this mean/ are they saying that SS316L has nickel in it?!
I know I need to go read/ re-read it a thousand times, but now I'm starting to question my whole world if that is fact/ true. If so, it might explain why I've turned into such a nutjob these latter days of my life! :pervy: :confused: Thank you for the heads up & replying!

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Found this on composition of SS316L

Stainless Steel - Grade 316L - Properties, Fabrication and Applications (UNS S31603)
"Chemical Formula
Fe, <0.03% C, 16-18.5% Cr, 10-14% Ni, 2-3% Mo, <2% Mn, <1% Si, <0.045% P, <0.03% S"

And SS430 composition
Stainless Steel - Grade 430 (UNS S43000)
"Chemical Formula
Fe, <0.12% C, 16-18% Cr, <0.75% Ni, <1.0% Mn, <1.0% Si, <0.040% P, <0.030% S"

Looks like they both have Nickel in them, SS316L just has more. Sorry to mislead, I didn't research it before posting that earlier.

Edit: SS430 has much less nickel.

Gem615

Mar 29, 2013
Surprise, AZ US
& now that I've scared the bejeezus out of myself, & thanks to Blitdzonlife making me question exactly what the heck I'm asking or even talking about... I've found more info on this question I've asked - that has me questioning everything even more!
While medical grades of SS in general is apparently coming into question bc of nickel content's role in not only allergic reactions, BUT possible carcinogen effects (e.g. mostly as surgical/ dental implants inside the body long term *NOT necessarily wire used to vape), I'm now freaking out more about the screws in my knee vs what type of vaping wire I'm using :w00t:
For the record - the difference it seems is nickel content related (which affects corrosionability) but also the addition of, or higher content/ addition of other metals - in the case of SS430...
THE BREAKDOWN -
SS316L (an AUSTENITIC METAL, non-magnetic)- used as medical grade stainless for all types of applications. Stronger & higher corrosion resistance than 200 or 304, it does contain around 18% Chromium & anywhere btwn 8-10% nickel, it also the addition of 2% molybdenum - which helps increase the level of corrosion.
SS430 (an FERRITIC, magnetic metal) - while they have a lower to no nickel content, they do have a Chromium level of 10.5%-27% and has the addition of metals, Niobium, Titanium & Zirconium and is generally cheaper to make than SS300 group of AUSTENITIC metals.
NOTE that both Nickel & Chromium are apparently known to leach (at least from their presence in cookware)... what the implications are as far as valing is concerned - I have no clue BUT it seems like a trade off between SS316L (nickel w/ lower Chromium). & SS430 (no nickel, but higher Chromium & the addition of 3 other metals - some that have their own health risks, also in larger dosages that is probably present than that in vaping wire)

Guess I did just answer my own question, but now, potentially just opened a whole new can of worms! Though to be perfectly honest, I'm also still ok with my usual SS316L... can't be any more carcinogenic than the screws already permanent in my knee! :banana: (I just love that little b-nana!)

Gem615

Mar 29, 2013
Surprise, AZ US
Found this on composition of SS316L

Stainless Steel - Grade 316L - Properties, Fabrication and Applications (UNS S31603)
"Chemical Formula
Fe, <0.03% C, 16-18.5% Cr, 10-14% Ni, 2-3% Mo, <2% Mn, <1% Si, <0.045% P, <0.03% S"

And SS430 composition
Stainless Steel - Grade 430 (UNS S43000)
"Chemical Formula
Fe, <0.12% C, 16-18% Cr, <0.75% Ni, <1.0% Mn, <1.0% Si, <0.040% P, <0.030% S"

Looks like they both have Nickel in them, SS316L just has more. Sorry to mislead, I didn't research it before posting that earlier.

Edit: SS430 has much less nickel.

Me either! BUT certainly learned a few more things since too!

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I used SS430 from Zivipf solely because it performed better in TC than 316(L). Higher TCR.
If you are interested in SS430, be aware that me and a few others had varying luck with other vendors.
In many, many spools over the years both SS430 and NiFe48, I've never had any trouble with the wire I bought from Zivipf.

ORILIYAT

Moved On
Nov 21, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Hidden spam

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I used SS430 from Zivipf solely because it performed better in TC than 316(L). Higher TCR.
If you are interested in SS430, be aware that me and a few others had varying luck with other vendors.
In many, many spools over the years both SS430 and NiFe48, I've never had any trouble with the wire I bought from Zivipf.
They, Zivipf, also sell ZR wire. They do not state the grade of the ZR.
Zirconium 0.40mm / 0.016" / AWG 26

Cheers
I

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've used SS316L for most of my 11 years vaping. I vape at 8 watts on a new coil and 10 watts once it's broken in. I tend to rewind and change coils once every week or two. It's an easy task that only takes a few minutes and produces a fresh vape experience. I've stopped dry burning coils and just replace the wire when it begins to show signs of flavor change.

Reactions: sonicbomb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread