The Reality of PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
The reality of PG and a brief history.
Propylene Glycol: A History – “Kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci and other bacteria.”

Propylene Glycol: A History – “Kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci and other bacteria.”
Reference: TIME Magazine. (1942, November 16). Medicine. Air Germicide. Available from the Time, Incorporated Web Site: Medicine: Air Germicide - TIME
Monday, Nov. 16, 1942

Medicine: Air Germicide

A powerful preventive against pneumonia, influenza and other respiratory diseases may be promised by a brilliant series of experiments conducted during the last three years at the University of Chicago’s Billings Hospital. Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson last week was making final tests with a new germicidal vapor—propylene glycol—to sterilize air. If the results so far obtained are confirmed, one of the age-old searches of man will finally achieve its goal.

The idea of sterilizing the air is not new —London’s great fire of 1666, for example, was touched off by the countless fires which townsmen lit to purge the air of plague. Use of chemical sprays to control air contamination was first attempted in 1928 by three doctors who tried a fine mist of sea water containing sodium hypochlorite. This venture gave promising results, but all such research lapsed for another decade. Within the last few years, several research groups (notably the University of Pennsylvania’s new Air-Borne Disease Laboratories) again began testing various sprays. Many chemicals were found to kill airborne micro-organisms quickly, even in concentrations as low as one gram of chemical per 500 cu. ft. of air. Trouble was that all these air germicides smelled bad, or were toxic, or irritated the respiratory tract. Dr. Robertson’s propylene glycol vapor is odorless, tasteless, nontoxic, non-irritating, cheap, highly bactericidal.

Its discovery was accidental. Dr. Robertson and his colleagues were trying out another possible germicide—a detergent or “soapless soap” (similar to Dreft, Aerosol and other products widely sold for household and industrial use). Water solutions of the detergent were only mildly effective, so the researchers tried solutions of detergents in propylene glycol, which is a sort of thin glycerine. Results were much better. Then the researchers found that the propylene glycol itself was a potent germicide. One part of glycol in 2,000,000 parts of air would—within a few seconds—kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci and other bacteria numbering millions to the cubic foot.
How did it work? Respiratory disease bacteria float about in tiny droplets of water breathed, sneezed and coughed from human beings. The germicidal glycol also floats in infinitesimally small particles. Calculations showed that if droplet had to hit droplet, it would take two to 200 hours for sterilization of sprayed air to take place. Since sterilization took place in seconds, Dr. Robertson concluded that the glycol droplets must give off gas molecules which dissolve in the water droplets and kill the germs within them.

Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died.
Propylene glycol is harmless to man when swallowed or injected into the veins. It is also harmless to mice who have breathed it for long periods. But medical science is cautious—there was still a remote chance that glycol might accumulate harmfully in the erect human lungs which, unlike those of mice, do not drain themselves. So last June Dr. Robertson began studying the effect of glycol vapor on monkeys imported from the University of Puerto Rico’s School of Tropical Medicine. So far, after many months’ exposure to the vapor, the monkeys are happy and fatter than ever. Dr. Robertson does not expect mankind to live, like his monkeys, continuously in an atmosphere of glycol vapor; but it should be most valuable in such crowded places as schools and theaters, where most respiratory diseases are picked up.

OMG thank goodness the FDA and the government is around to protect me from this killer! If I was bacteria or a bacterial lobbyist, I would be lobbying hard for this stuff to be banned as well! I see so many questions about PG on the site that this seems perfect reading for those people who are in the dark.

Last edited:

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
If I was to sample one bite of every food product that had PG in it, I would probably be eating for a a good year before I was halfway through the list.

If I was a total ... I could go around blowing vapor in peoples face then explain I was just killing bacteria around them and doing them a solid...they should be thanking me for keeping them from getting sick...

Last edited:

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, and yes I would tend to agree with the thought that you didn't get nearly as sick due to the fact that you were vaping PG based juice. It makes perfect scientific sense to me, although I am not a scientist I am college educated with a degree in electronic engineering technology. Don't mean I know WTF I am saying, just my two cents.

You can get this and more info from: SmokeDigital: Propylene Glycol: A History – “Kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci and other bacteria.”

The juice can be made using PG or VG based ingredients. Many suppliers have a choice because some people do have an allergic reaction to PG. You can get either one of these from Walgreens as well and make your own juice with some flavors and some unflavored PG or VG with nicotine level of your choice. Flavors from Lorann and Fairies Flavors and others can have very minute levels of PG in them as well, usually not enough to worry about though and not used as the base ingredient as we are using it.

Last edited:

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
Snarkyone, I'm sure glad I stumbled across this post. I've been wondering what the possible advantage could be to using PG in my home-made juices, because it's just so hard to find.

I think that article gives me reason enough to find some though. So here I go on that awful search for PG again....even the compounding pharmacies are sort of treating me like a criminal and telling me that PG only comes in that anti-........ medicine bottle. (can't remember the name of it!)

Thanks for this most interesting information!

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
You can get PG from Walgreens no problem, at least I was able to. I ask the pharmacist if they had any and they asked me if I wanted the powder form and I told them no I needed the liquid kind like they use for mixing compounds. Once I said that they knew what I wanted and looked it up and ordered it, picked it up the next day and got 16oz for $12.75 or something without so much as a sideways glance. Any local pharmacy should be able to do the same thing for you, this is not a restricted item in any way.

As for the time when that initial study was performed yeah it was ages ago and quite by accident if you read the whole thing. The point being is that even back then it was proven to be beneficial and no evidence has turned up to the contrary if there was it would not be in such widespread use. USP grade PG is not antifreeze, this is the same stuff in medicines, and foods in everyday use, not the industrial grade PG used as coolant. I used that PG in the semiconductor industry for our chillers and heat exchangers and these are two totally different items. The industrial grade pg is much thicker than the USP grade as well, I am completely satisfied that I am not in any danger from inhaling PG or VG.

omgleet

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
That study was done almost 70 years ago. I would think if there were truth to the fact that PG was really a good preventative against deseases, it would be widley used by now.

It's not that it doesn't do this at all, as I'm sure it does,but there are so many things that work better. Regular pennicilin probly is still more effective. And it is pretty widely used today. It's used in cough syrups n such to dilute it and give it texture

Stranger

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2009
Check out this thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...d-pg-tested-over-50-years-ago.html#post634541
The last link there is to a study were they used PG in the children's ward of a hospital.
Here is a interesting fact
"Another study on the intermittent dispersal of propylene glycol into the
atmosphere of a crowded room showed a diminution of 80 per cent in the total bacterial content of the air which lasted for about 15 minutes only. Repeated
dispersions of the glycol vapor every 15 minutes resulted in a fairly constant
lowering of the bacterial population of the air."

So hit that PV every 15 minutes for good health.:)*
*These statements not verified by the FDA **
**but they are sort of supported by one scientific study and that is one more than the FDA has proving the "dangers" of PVs"8-o

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If I was to sample one bite of every food product that had PG in it, I would probably be eating for a a good year before I was halfway through the list.

If I was a total ... I could go around blowing vapor in peoples face then explain I was just killing bacteria around them and doing them a solid...they should be thanking me for keeping them from getting sick...

lol ... Just ran into this searching for hints on absinthe last night:

Star anise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check the tamiflu referernce under 'medicinal uses'. I'm no new ager but medicines do come from various plants and stuff. PG and star anise might help stave off H(whatever)N(whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread