I started vaping to prevent getting sick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
Not only does vaping replace cancer-causing cigarettes, but it might actually be healthier than not vaping!

Here's a link to the page I read that made me purchase my first e-cig.

Here's the part of it that caught my attention:
Propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the electronic cigarette cartridge, may be a powerful deterrent against pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory diseases when vaporized and inhaled according to a study by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson. Decades before the e cigarette was invented, a study was conducted by Dr. Robertson of the University of Chicago's Billings Hospital in 1942 on inhalation of vaporized propylene glycol in laboratory mice. A more in-depth article was printed in the 1942 issue of TIME Magazine for November 16th. "Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died."

The researchers also found that "the propylene glycol itself was a potent germicide. One part of glycol in 2,000,000 parts of air would--within a few seconds--kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci and other bacteria numbering millions to the cubic foot."

Just FYI, I wanted to share. For those of you who need a little inspiration to keep using e-cigs and not go back to cigarettes!

Last edited:

msroulette

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I will add to this...I have been vaping for over 2 months now, and for the last 4 weeks, my boss has been sick, as have her children (who've also been in the office). I have NOT gotten sick! before stopping the nasty habit of smoking analogs, I would have been sick right along with her...NOT at all since I started vaping!

tedward1555

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2010
austin, texas
Thanks for that info!

I'm only two weeks in and noticing that my senses of taste and smell are back and so is being able to take a huge, deep breath!

Me too... especially the "huge deep breath" part. I think I must have been able to use just 30% of my lungs prior to vaping. Now I can take HUGE deep breaths and they feel GREAT!

smut peddler

May 2, 2010
hell
Me too... especially the "huge deep breath" part. I think I must have been able to use just 30% of my lungs prior to vaping. Now I can take HUGE deep breaths and they feel GREAT!

I've always enjoyed tobacco but never been addicted to cigarettes. What actually stops your lungs from being fully used? Does it hurt to take deep breaths?

Vapour~Girl

Apr 13, 2010
UK
I've always enjoyed tobacco but never been addicted to cigarettes. What actually stops your lungs from being fully used? Does it hurt to take deep breaths?

human body is very clever piece of work...the lungs have a huge surface area to ensure optimal gas exchange. (swapping oxygen and carbon dioxide into the blood stream) when you inhale smoke from cigarettes (the kind you burn), you are inhaling all sorts of other crap. one of these substances is tar which coats the lining of the lungs so reduces the amount of surface available for efficient gas exchange. additionally, the tiny hair like projections in your lungs that are used to sweep away mucus etc (that you eventually cough and then spit or swallow) get covered in substances so they cant work properly either. in addition to this, blood vessels can get constricted when you are a smoker so cannot work as efficiently as if you were a non smoker. some effects can be reversed (the coughing can increase for a time after giving up as your lungs work to expell all the crap that was lining them)
if you want to see the effects, google "smokers lungs" and check the pictures. is very icky :D

the extremity of effects will vary from person to person, but when i was smoking, yea, it could hurt sometimes to take deep breaths, specially in cold weather and first thing in the morning.

suddenly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2009
The Secret Garden
Last winter before I started vaping I was sick all the time. My granddaughter had just started school and as you all probably know they bring home everything.

After I started vaping I stopped getting sick, with cold after cold. Because
I babysit for my grandkids so much they have gotten less sick also.

I did screw up once this winter. I ordered all VG juice for awhile and we all got a chest cold. Made sure from then on to always add some PG for colds.:toast:

:mad: got the worst case of nicups:mad:

Lilacs212too

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
Williamsburg, VA
Just before reading your post, I placed an order for liquids from Freedom Smoke USA (Pizza liquid!)

Pizza flavor?!?!?! :shock:

Wow. I went back there to find there is shrimp and garlic flavor as well. Umm wow. You're the Andrew Zimmern of juice!

Last edited:

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
I placed my first order yesterday, and I am so excited about the idea of getting off of analogs finally! I spent several days lurking here before I ordered, reading thread after thread, and became convinced that this will work for me, as it has for so many others.

I ordered an auto PT, and a couple of packs of carts from V4L, and also several small bottles of liquid in a couple of flavors that sounded promising. I can't wait to receive everything and get started.

I wish I had known about the benefits of PG versus VG. I ordered mostly VG because I read in one of the threads that VG was healthier, and also V4L had a sale on their VG stuff. I will make sure to include some PG on future orders.

This is slightly off topic, but another way that I have found to prevent catching colds is to avoid birthday cake like the plague. Someone pointed out to me a few years ago how many germs are innocently blown onto birthday cakes by people who are not yet sick, but who are actively spreading germs. I stopped eating birthday cake that has been "blown on", and since then have had only about a third as many colds each year as I used to get.

Thanks to everyone here who has posted so much advice for newbies. I am still reading it with fascination while waiting for my supplies to arrive.

JennyJo

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2010
Colorado
Not only does vaping replace cancer-causing cigarettes, but it might actually be healthier than not vaping!

Here's a link to the page I read that made me purchase my first e-cig.

Here's the part of it that caught my attention:

Just FYI, I wanted to share. For those of you who need a little inspiration to keep using e-cigs and not go back to cigarettes!

Wow! Really interesting stuff! I had no idea! Thanks for sharing that with us!!! :vapor:

Adja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
Thank you for the welcome Suddenly. I am so glad to have found this forum!

I couldn't picture myself living without birthday cake either, but I keep envisioning germs, and so far that has kept me strong. On the other hand, I now purchase a cake occasionally for the family for no special occasion, just to replace the birthday cake that is missing from our lives. <g>

The idea of PG being an antibacterial agent sounds relatively benign, but the word pesticide sounds a bit scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread