Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Awesome pics! I am going to Colorado and probably Moab after that, but given a lack of time I may only explore CO on this trip. But Moab area is tentatively on the agenda. Looks so awesome out there. Never been to the rockies or the desert before.

20 or so years ago, I lived and worked in Denver, Colorado Springs, and also did a job in Beaver Creek. Lots of great mt biking all over. Stop in one of the many bike shops, and purchase a trail book. It will show you many trail heads and loop routes. When I was in Denver, I particularly liked biking around Red Rocks. It’s a place that shouldn’t be missed. When riding in Co, be prepared to be winded a lot, especially when riding technical single track stuff. The air is pretty thin up there.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Much of the RM's in CO are spectacular. What area(s) in CO?
Boulder is my first stop and largely i will wing it after that. Definitely Fruitia at some point. Open to suggestions. Im the type to have ideas under my belt but not make specific plans. I know I can ride some in the Boulder area while I talk with locals and forge the path beyond as it comes.

A lot will depend on weather too, I know it is already snowing in Vail (Veil?)...

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
20 or so years ago, I lived and worked in Denver, Colorado Springs, and also did a job in Beaver Creek. Lots of great mt biking all over. Stop in one of the many bike shops, and purchase a trail book. It will show you many trail heads and loop routes. When I was in Denver, I particularly liked biking around Red Rocks. It’s a place that shouldn’t be missed. When riding in Co, be prepared to be winded a lot, especially when riding technical single track stuff. The air is pretty thin up there.
I hear Beaver Creek has some beautiful trails. Yeah, I've never been above ~6600ft, so the elevation thing will be an experience I've never had.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Q - how does the video look quality wise? (I know it's shaky, but otherwise?)

See on my PC it looks fantastic, nice colors, zero blur. Watching it on youtube though it's sort of blurry. But my connection sucks, so I'm wondering if it's A) rendered to YT incorrectly or B) my connection speed just can't get a non-blurry image out of it even at 1080p.

Looked great to me! 1080 rez and all.. not really whacky till like near the end when the trail was ruffer.

Honestly looked better then I expected.

Looked like fun just gliding downhill like that for that long.

I think what your seeing is the signal being compressed cause your network lag.

• Love

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Looked great to me! 1080 rez and all.. not really whacky till like near the end when the trail was ruffer.

Honestly looked better then I expected.

Looked like fun just gliding downhill like that for that long.

I think what your seeing is the signal being compressed cause your network lag.
Excellent!!! :) :)

Now I'm researching free video editors, going to pick one today and start working on my new vid this evening. I got so much crazy footage from that ride, it's gonna be so much fun making this vid :D

And yes sir, that downhill was fun with a capital F. It was longer than that too but I kept stopping to try different camera settings :)

'Course, I had to ride up it, first :grr:

Reactions: JC Okie

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Here are some photos I've "grabbed" from various video clips I shot yesterday:

picgopr0046-jpg.690113

picgopr0093-jpg.690115

gpicopr0078-jpg.690119

^I love the shadow in that last one. What I REALLY need is a Sloth-hat-helmet, so you could see the sloth arms dangling - :lol: but as is my hat won't fit over the helmet.

But I did get some footage of the sloth hat riding, just did some selective shots, looks ridiculous :w00t: actually I'll grab a photo as an example and post it later.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Excellent!!! :) :)

Now I'm researching free video editors, going to pick one today and start working on my new vid this evening. I got so much crazy footage from that ride, it's gonna be so much fun making this vid :D

And yes sir, that downhill was fun with a capital F. It was longer than that too but I kept stopping to try different camera settings :)

'Course, I had to ride up it, first :grr:

Yeah I was thinking about that.. that had to be a workout and a half going up that hill lol.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Here are some photos I've "grabbed" from various video clips I shot yesterday:

picgopr0046-jpg.690113

picgopr0093-jpg.690115

gpicopr0078-jpg.690119

^I love the shadow in that last one. What I REALLY need is a Sloth-hat-helmet, so you could see the sloth arms dangling - :lol: but as is my hat won't fit over the helmet.

But I did get some footage of the sloth hat riding, just did some selective shots, looks ridiculous :w00t: actually I'll grab a photo as an example and post it later.

Yeah that would be a riot with the hat on! Haha

Nice pics!! Beautiful!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

Agree with the local bike shops. While I well remember some very special places along the Colorado Rockies, all of them are from over 20 years ago so I know not what may have changed.

However, if you are going to venture to the Grand Junction/Fruita area Tim... Go South Young Man.... to the Ouray to Silverton (to Durango) areas of southwestern CO. Ouray is around 7800' (a very fun and beautiful place), Silverton is around 9300' and the San Juan Mountains in that area are up to well over 14,000'. An easy 'loop' through some beautiful country past a lot of high mountain lakes/creeks would be Lime Creek Road. Starts at about 9500' by Casacade Creek a couple of miles up the road north of Purgatory Ski, and comes back into the Million Dollar Hwy some miles north by Deer Creek. An almost all uphill Silverton to Cinnamon Pass (approx 12,600') ride should be doable for an easterner, with a somewhat challenging back down (one side of the two track is straight down from 0' at the bottom to about 2000' as you get closer to the pass). A more challenging ride would be from the Million Dollar Hwy up over Black Bear Pass to Telluride. It is a serious 4X4 road to give you an idea of the lay of the land.

Speaking of long ago and Beaver Creek... in the late 80's I spent some time along the upper Beaver Creek drainage studying and logging the life history and larval food plant associations of three species of Hemileucinae, testing and proving a pheromone theory between the three species (Hemileuca hera hera; H. elglanterina annulata; H. nuttalli).
(Among similar others, I was a serious Lepidopterist for over 50 years, and this subfamily of Saturniidae was among my special interest families of worldwide Rhopalocera and Macro Lepidoptera.)

Attachments

• H hera hera.jpg
    H hera hera.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 18
  • H eglanterina annulata.jpg
    H eglanterina annulata.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 18
  • H nuttalli.jpg
    H nuttalli.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Agree with the local bike shops. While I well remember some very special places along the Colorado Rockies, all of them are from over 20 years ago so I know not what may have changed.

However, if you are going to venture to the Grand Junction/Fruita area Tim... Go South Young Man.... to the Ouray to Silverton (to Durango) areas of southwestern CO. Ouray is around 7800' (a very fun and beautiful place), Silverton is around 9300' and the San Juan Mountains in that area are up to well over 14,000'. An easy 'loop' through some beautiful country past a lot of high mountain lakes/creeks would be Lime Creek Road. Starts at about 9500' by Casacade Creek a couple of miles up the road north of Purgatory Ski, and comes back into the Million Dollar Hwy some miles north by Deer Creek. An almost all uphill Silverton to Cinnamon Pass (approx 12,600') ride should be doable for an easterner, with a somewhat challenging back down (one side of the two track is straight down from 0' at the bottom to about 2000' as you get closer to the pass). A more challenging ride would be from the Million Dollar Hwy up over Black Bear Pass to Telluride. It is a serious 4X4 road to give you an idea of the lay of the land.

Speaking of long ago and Beaver Creek... in the late 80's I spent some time along the upper Beaver Creek drainage studying and logging the life history and larval food plant associations of three species of Hemileucinae, testing and proving a pheromone theory between the three species (Hemileuca hera hera; H. elglanterina annulata; H. nuttalli).
(Among similar others, I was a serious Lepidopterist for over 50 years, and this subfamily of Saturniidae was among my special interest families of worldwide Rhopalocera and Macro Lepidoptera.)

Beaver Creek was a cool place; although a little pricey for my tastes. I was working all over the country, at the time, building ice rinks for a company out of Syracuse, NY. We built an outdoor rink in the middle of the main square in Beaver Creek. I also did a double rink facility inside an old refurbished bomber hanger at Lowery AFB in Denver, and did the rink in the World Arena in Colorado Springs.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY

Spy, thank you for this. I'm not sure why but I hadn't even had the thought cross my mind to bike some jeep roads out west. I was limiting my research to trails, but, in these parts I prefer a 50/50 mix of single track trails and logging roads. I imagine some of those ATV and jeep trails in CO/Utah would be AMAZING to mountain bike on. Thanks for the suggestions brother, opens up a whole new line of thought in my planning :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Spy, thank you for this. I'm not sure why but I hadn't even had the thought cross my mind to bike some jeep roads out west. I was limiting my research to trails, but, in these parts I prefer a 50/50 mix of single track trails and logging roads. I imagine some of those ATV and jeep trails in CO/Utah would be AMAZING to mountain bike on. Thanks for the suggestions brother, opens up a whole new line of thought in my planning :)

The west is far more about public access and use land than private land. So many specific use ares along these lines are pretty common in the west... rock climbing, hiking only trails, mountain bike trails, ATV/dirt bike and places for full sized 4X4 vehicles. Some of these trails run from just a few miles to hundreds of miles, even crossing state borders. Just need to pick whether you're after high mountain, plateau, rimrock, high desert or low true desert.

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
It was great meeting you man! You are one cool dude and your wife is awesome - so happy for you guys :)
The pleasure was ours. We're going to try to make it back out in May next year.

Planning on cutting through Canada next time, maybe even a Montreal pit stop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
The west is far more about public access and use land than private land. So many specific use ares along these lines are pretty common in the west... rock climbing, hiking only trails, mountain bike trails, ATV/dirt bike and places for full sized 4X4 vehicles. Some of these trails run from just a few miles to hundreds of miles, even crossing state borders. Just need to pick whether you're after high mountain, plateau, rimrock, high desert or low true desert.
Sounds like paradise :thumb: I'd like a little of each option over the course of the 2 weeks and a lot will depend on weather (at least for the higher elevations).

The pleasure was ours. We're going to try to make it back out in May next year.

Planning on cutting through Canada next time, maybe even a Montreal pit stop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Awesome!! Next time we should chill by a fire, lots of great options for places to do that :)

Montreal is amazing and so is Ottawa - both are excellent pit stops along the way.

Reactions: Spydro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread