The Rub

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
OK, here is the deal...

A week ago I got involved in a thread about the Screwdriver. As you may or may not know my reputation on this forum is somewhat of a screwdriver hater. As most discussion concerning me and the Screwdriver it got kind of hot and heavy.

During the Discussion wv 2 win posted a remark calling me "queen of the smoking everywhere" and posted some completely unrelated stuff. I have had problems with WV in the past and at the informal request of walrus I had previously agreed not to engage him on the forum. I did just that and hit the report to mod button.

It ended up falling in the hands of terraphon who seemed unwilling to do anything about the post. Instead I got a PM chastising me and telling me to stay away from SD threads. I sent him back a PM where I agreed to stay away from SD threads but told him I thought his way of talking to people stinks.

Up till this point I had no information regarding any action that was taken with regards to the derogatory comment from WV and in a public thread that was loosly related to how the forum is moderated I called Terraphon a queen.

He did not like that and I recieved an infraction warning with 2 infraction points. Along with that was an explination that what I failed to realize was that the other party involved in my conflict was given an infraction. Of course I failed to realize this because the insulting post remained unedited.

AFTER the infraction was issued I sent a PM to Terraphone calling him a hypocrite for leaving a post calling me a queen but removing one calling him a queen. That was when the word queen was removed from the post but the thread still remained in all its trollish glory.

I little further along in that discussion I made some comments to another poster about the purpose of the forum is to sell products and not to allow the free exchange of opinions and promote discussions.

That was it, that was the straw that broke the camels back and I was banned. No rule infraction was cited and the reason I was issued for the ban was simply 'come back with a new attitude' and the ban will be lifted on such and such a date and time.

I was pretty ....... all the things discussed in the thread about moderating were the things I did. I attacked the posts, not the poster. In contrast most of the others involved in that screwdriver thread attacked me personally and disregarded the things I said. I even made it a point to say to one of the people that it is just an internet discussion and if she is taking anything personal please do not.

The fact that the mods seemed to be saying the opposite of what they were doing irritated Spikey. She could see the double standard in the way I was treated and she knows how hard I have been working to help with the suffolk county law. She seemed to take the whole thing as personally as me but kept her composure and did not make any problems on the forum.

Then Kate got banned AGAIN!!! This made Spikey brew just a bit hotter than before. Spikey seems to be the kind of person that takes it more personally when someone wrongs a freind than she does when she is wronged personally. Her compassion is really unending to the point of self sacrafice. This is evidenced in the next event.

The final straw came when RatInDaHat decided to depart the forum citing time restraints and 'managerial issues' as his reason. Not to ironically this post came right after a discussion where RatInDaHat tried to point out that it was unfair to give Blu a forum in the supporting suppliers section for free when all the others have to pay every month. Terraphon was a bit argumentative with RIDH in that thread and then next thing ou know RIDH is calling it quits.

Apparently that drove Spikey over the edge. She started a discussion in a public forum and from what I understand things were going well. I did not get to see the discussion myself. But as the thread things deterioated and the thread ended up getting removed.

Spikey made another thread and in that thread she made a mention that she was pretty sure she had to be warned before she could be banned and one of the mods decided to prove her wrong and went ahead and banned her straight away with no warning.

Understandably Spikey is upset about being treated in this manner and as it stands right now she has little interest in returning to ECF in the same capacity she was here in before. She no longer trusts the forum or thinks it is running like a community.

She is in the process of trying to make LIVC a more self sufficient club that will have its own forum so it does not have to rely on ECF to provide a place to engage in OPEN discussion.

Now obviously this is all told from MY perspective and as we know there are several other perspectives involved and the truth is somewhere in the middle of all that so take what i say with a grain of salt, I too am a bit ...... at the way Spikey was treated.

If anybody wants to know how to find spikey then please PM me and I will help you with that right away. She IS still around if one knows where to look. For our club members that info is simply a PM away.

I hope this help catch you guys up on the ongoing plight that is the days of our lives.... no wait that a soap opera... well whats really the difference?

DW

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Wow, that could be a possible explanation as to why Terraphon was so quick to put his problems with me aside and go out of his way to help me out with one of my threads.

However, as I said in the other thread, this is just the way things go from what I've seen in other forums. Once the population booms then the moderation gets out of hand. And when you're always looking for new moderators eventually you'll wind up with a few bad apples. Usually at some point a small group of some of the more active members goes and moves to another forum with less people, and the cycle repeats again.

I'm really shocked at this though. I really thought that Terraphon had separated his previous social interactions from his moderating duties.

Once we have our own forum I don't think I'll be posting here much anymore. Forums always seem to go downhill once you start to have thousands of members. I haven't been liking the direction that this forum has been taking for the past couple of months anyway.

Last edited:

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Long term supporting forum members should be given warnings prior to banning. It sounds like a few mistakes were made here. The moderators should be a bit more forgiving.

Yeah, seriously. And since Spikey didn't, she should be reimbursed for the time that she was not able to use the forum that she supports financially.

Yeah, seriously. And since Spikey didn't, she should be reimbursed for the time that she was not able to use the forum that she supports financially.

hehe :) I want my two cents back!

But seriously guys? I don't think it is really the moderators fault all of the time.. I think most of them are doign what they are told. They are moderating privately from behind the scenes and discreetly and TRYINg to keep things running smoothly... and after the new forum is up.. many of them will be invited to join us there cause before they were evil moderators.. they were board members and our FRIENDS!

(to mods... seriously... I kno u guys are reading this... but with the exception of the Cop Squad I think you are ALL in my friends list.. oh.. maybe not epipeman.. but I like him) and I have a great deal of respect for you and what you do! You were my friends before and will be my friends after! We hope to see MOST of you at the new forum.. but you are ALL welcome!).

I am not looking forward to running the new forum... but it needs to be set up cause our club has NO WAY to communicate when I am banned and since we cannot expect DW to last long without getting banned (he can only be sweet as pie for so long and then he will go psychotic!) I need to have a forum for us to reach each other.

Anyway... www.VapersForum.com will be linked from www.VapersClub.com and I will see all you a$$holes at the meeting on Saturday and hope you wil be with us on 6/23 to speak or at least stand in front of the legislature if it is humanly possible for you to do so!!!!

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
hehe :) I want my two cents back!

But seriously guys? I don't think it is really the moderators fault all of the time.. I think most of them are doign what they are told. They are moderating privately from behind the scenes and discreetly and TRYINg to keep things running smoothly... and after the new forum is up.. many of them will be invited to join us there cause before they were evil moderators.. they were board members and our FRIENDS!

Oh wow, you're back already. I was expecting a much longer ban.

But I agree, it's not the moderators' faults most of the time, they're just doing their jobs. It's just that things used to be a bit more laid back when there weren't as many people, so for the members who have been here for a while the sudden change in moderating intensity could be a bit of a shock. And of coarse with all the new members the need for more moderators increases, and everyone has flaws and biases, so you can't really avoid that with new moderators.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread