*THE* Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There is no ONE special tank that fits everyone's needs. Or, perhaps they are not all THAT different from one another. They all basically do a few simple things:

Act as a reservoir or juice carrying device for a cartomizer or clearomizer.

Do the above without leaking liquid onto or into our favorite vaping device.

Are made of materials that will not leach into the liquid or crack/melt with certain flavors, or impart any plastic/chemical taste to our juices.

Fancy milled titanium or stainless steel endcaps don't really make a tank function better. Green frogs glass-blown onto a pyrex-tubed tank do not make a tank function better. Color sand-blasting on a tank does not make it function better.

A well designed and well fitting tank will be easier to use and less likely to leak. A tank that uses endcaps will generally be easier to use than one that uses just silicone grommets (exception to High Desert tanks). Proper sized o-rings help the tank hug the cartomizer and tube and prevent slidiness and leaking. And of course, a pyrex tube is preferred over a polycarbonate tube. All stainless steel tubes are ok, but you are not able to see your liquid level.

Bella-Phin-Frog.jpg ProV.jpg

That said, I admit I enjoy vaping on a beautiful tank. It is a purely aesthetic thing. But obviously it will not make the juice inside of it taste any better or make it more likely that I will have clouds of vapor.

Finding the right cartomizer is much more important, as that is what is producing the flavor and vapor. Finding the right ohm rating, single coil vs dual coil, brand preference, etc is much more important. The tank only serves to hold the juice.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Bad is right about there being no perfect tank for everyone. That being said the tank that works best for me is Phiniac. I know others are selling Pyrex for a lot cheaper but I have a feeling it isnt as thick.If I'm wrong there feel free to correct me.

Theres a video on youtube of a Phiniac being checked full force at a brick wall and it doesnt have a scratch on it afterwards. IMO as far as customization and expressing yourself they cant be beat.Moorea will even work with you to design a custom etching thats one of a kind and is very fast on her replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
If you want a good pyrex / borciliate glass tank, you cant go wrong with a Phiniac, I myself like the naked tanks. But if you dont want to spend 50 dollars I suggest the IBTanked.com tanks, half the price and just as nice. I cant say its just as break resistant, but it is thick too. You could get the slimmer one with nice stainless steel caps for about 24.00. If you are a juice hog like me, than the wider one holds about 5 ml +. It will cost about 3 dollars more.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
After posting what I did earlier, I got to thinking. Instead of making the general statement that a tank is a tank is a tank....I should ask what specifically are you looking for in a tank? Something that looks great on your particular battery device? One that is super easy to fill, perhaps with a quick twist off top? Or, as you may have been hinting at, a large capacity and durable "no leak, run around and do cart wheels, vape all day tank".

The tank with the most durable reputation is the pyrex Phiniac. Probably because of their self-made video's on their website of surviving 6 foot drops onto concrete. The largest capacity Phiniac tanks are the XL colored tubes (cobalt, green, and amber) and XL black, holding 5ml and 6ml respectively. The clear XL tanks hold 4 ml. Price $38. Sandblasted Tank - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

IBTanked makes a pyrex 25mm wide XL tank that holds a whopping 8ml for $24.50. My own IBTanked's have rolled off of a bench onto a hard tile floor with no shattering or cracks. IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us!

Valley View Vapes makes a pyrex tank that holds 7ml of juice for $25. Premium Tanks

High Desert Vapes makes a pyrex tank that appears to be rugged. I have one that has been accidentally dropped a few times with no ill effects. It is the green frog tank in the above post. These tanks use a silicone grommet instead of traditional endcaps. Prices run from $39 to $60 depending upon the glass blown artwork on them. Most of of these tanks take a standard cartomizer like a Boge. For Sale

Last edited:

DrApex

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Raleigh NC
I bought a phiniac xl tank. In wanted glass because of fears of tank cracking juices.

It's a good tank. The seals work very well and do not leak.

I pick up my provari (which is somewhat heavy) by the tank all day, and haven't had any issue with the tank slipping.

Phiniac also sells a tank filling tool. It fits into the end of the carto and seals the inner hole. You then push the carto out, and pour the juice down the ramp. When fill, just push the tank back up. Done.

You can fill the tank completely full this way.

Regardless of which tank you get, consider a tank tool for filling.

Typed on my mobile. Please excuse typos.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What not nice enough? Well I'm a function before form guy, so............

If they perform for you and the juices that you use, that's wonderful. I've seen a few people swear by the Mom & Pop tanks, and I'm happy for them and you. :toast:

Someone recently PM'd me concerning my opinion of these tanks. I answered that honestly I'd never owned or used one, but by viewing the description and images from the website, I could quickly make a few comments:

____

Right off the bat, I can see that these are grommet tanks :nah:, which I've generally not had positive experiences with. Instead of traditional endcaps, these tanks use silicone grommets in their place.

Most grommet tanks, like the ones that Valley Vapes sells, fit so tightly that they are difficult to assemble, disassemble, or fill with juice (unless you get the tank with the juice fill hole/plug). That is why I encourage potential buyers of that tank to spend a few more bucks and get the aluminum endcaps that Ray offers as an accessory, or just get the Luxury Tank set with the metal caps that come with the tank set.

High Desert sells pyrex tanks that also use grommets instead of traditional endcaps, but they can be removed or re-inserted relatively easy, and carto's are able to be exchanged without any difficulty. I can actually recommend that tank even though it uses grommets.

So in all fairness, having not ever used a Mom & Pop tank, I don't know how tightly the grommets actually are on this tank. It's just a red flag for a potential buyer.

Speaking of juice fill hole tanks, I'd be afraid that I'd lose the screw or plug, and then the tank is rendered useless. :nah: However, I am certainly aware that there are many people who are a huge fan of this feature.

The tank uses polycarbonate plastic for the tube :nah:, which I feel nowadays is an inferior product. It is succeptible to certain flavors to crack, melt, or otherwise leach substances into the juice. There are a number of individuals who are sensitive to being able to "taste the plastic" of this material should it come into contact with their juice.

Even at this inexpensive price point, there are better options with better materials and design than this tank. So, yes, there is nothing that I like about this tank; I would never buy, own, or recommend one. A big :nah:.

However, if it works for you and your setup, I'm happy for you. It's nothing personal, just pointing out the issues that I have with that tank that a potential buyer may not be aware of.

Last edited:

ardelleg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
I keep coming back to my Chibi from Parkes.... cheap, simple plastic tank with grommets that I fill with a syringe.... haven't bothered getting a glass tank, yet. :) But I don't have any juices, except some Cutter, that react with the plastic.

But everytime I try something new I wind up filling up the Chibi so I have something to vape while I try to figure the new item.....

I have had fairly good luck with my Vivi Novas, but they aren't as consistent as the Chibi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread