The Tree Family - Home of Glassmanoak's Tree Peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Theo awoke; he stretched his arms as his legs moved back and forth. He looked up at the ceiling, the flames of the candles danced above him. He laid there for a moment, watching he wanted to go back to sleep but had to pee. He got up out of his bed and looked down under. The bed was made of wood, with rope and the animal blankets below and on top.

He put his cloth boots back on fast, and got up out of bed, the urge to go was coming to him and he ran to the back door, took the latch off and went to the balcony. He grabbed and released. “oh , oh” he let loose below looking to make sure no one saw him and then his eyes opened.

He looked past the balcony, beyond the stable; they came in a direction that did not allow them to see what was really going on. Theo walked to the south side of the balcony, and he saw many people. Not knowing how to count he saw close to a thousand busy and working.

By the North wall of stone, he saw a building unfinished but tall already. There were people in wooden wheels turning it with their strength. He looked close there was stone being lifted up and up.

He watched as the people in the wheel stopped moving and two others were pulling the basket over also made of thick wood. A large man started to pull out the stones from above and he saw the tower being built. But Theo was hungry and something smelled good.

He went back in and knowing that his brothers would get on to him he grabbed the sword, the one that almost took him. Pallab had gotten on to him more than once. “Do not go anywhere without this.”

Theo then went out the front door, the light of the sun coming though the open windows, the air fresh, but the smell good. He went down the stairs, all the flames were out. He went over to the counter and a woman turned to him.

“Morning me lord.” Theo stopped and asked. “Why did you call me lord?” The woman looked down at him and smiled, she said. “My name is Denise, this is my kitchen and bath. I helped your mother yesterday to bath.” She looked down at him. “Do you people bath? You are so dirty? Sit, sit.” She said.

Theo sat in the wooden chair after he sat the sword still too big for him on the side. Denise grabbed a clay bowl and dipped a linen cloth in it and taking it back out came to him and started rubbing his face, Theo moved back for a moment but it felt good so he let her.

“My lords, have you bathed in a month?” Theo looked at her and being honest said. “Well we have been kind of busy.” She whipped his face a little longer, and finally his part of face was clean. “Where did you come from?” she asked as she looked down at his sword.

Theo saw her look at his sword, and responded by standing up and going over to the open window. Denise came by him and said. “You all came in through that way.” Theo said. “Yes we came from there.” Denise stopped and said. “So you came from the north the cold land?”

Theo still looking nodded yes and Denise went back and looked at his sword, she looked for a minute and said. “I have not seen a sword like this in some time, it is old.” She took it in her hands gently and continued. “Yours is heavy, ours are much lighter, but it is a good piece.” Theo went back over and Denise motioned for him to sit down. So Theo did.

“Are you hungry?” she asked he responded, “Yes maim.” Denise turned back to the fire and a makeshift stove, a flat stone cleaned and hot vegetables were being cooked, onion and pepper, she grabbed a large wooden box and opened it. She pinched a little salt and black pepper and sprinkled it on the top. She then used her two point fork and picked up some meat that was starting to sear and placed it with more with the onion and pepper.

It sizzled and Theo started to drool, it smelled good. Denise said while still cooking.

“Did you see the clay pots outside?” Theo looked at her confused. “Outside did you see large bowls?” Theo then understood and said. “Yes?” Denise turned the mixture the smell getting better, she said. “Next time you have to go, do it in the pot or bowl you see, we use it to clean, and cure skins of the animals and more, it is worth money.”

Theo felt ashamed, and asked. “How did you know?” She pointed at the open window, and said. “You just did it right above and I could see and smell it.” Theo dipped his head back down. “I am sorry.” Denise was done and turned to him with a bowl of eggs and vegetables’ with a meat. Theo took her two forked fork and grabbed a big bite and put it in his mouth.

“This is good, what is it?” Denise looked down at him she could not help it, he was so dirty, she took her thumb and with a lick cleaned around his other eye. “I swear to the lords you must have….” She stopped and said. “Mouse.”

Theo had just swallowed his second bite. “Mouse?”, he started to gag. Denise stood back, and grabbed a clay bowl; she said. “No, no don’t do it.” Theo started to hack harder, and finally blew, just in time to the bowl. He hacked some more.

“Mouse is a cheap and easy way to eat, we do have animals but they are expensive, so we use what we can, you were lucky yesterday, the turkey you ate was from last harvest, and after boiling it for half a day it was good enough to eat again.”

Theo finished throwing up in the bowl and looked up at her with tears in his eyes. Denise looked at him. “You need to bath, Grunk come over here.” A large man was sitting on the floor, his back to the wall. He stood up and placed his bowl on the table of Denis’ kitchen.

“I… I am Grunk.” He said slowly. Theo looked at him and was about to ask when Denise said. “I will tell you, he is kinda slow to talk, but a gentle giant. He and a partner.” She said while making quotes with her fingers continued. “They were out hunting, as most do for our food outside of the livestock we have in the pens.”

Denise continued. “They found a beaver dam, and wanting the skin’s and meat for money went over, and as they did were ambushed. Grunk took a blow to the head, we think by a mace. Anyway, he did help a little his partner said, and they were able to get away. His partner paid for a moons time, and he healed a little. So now he is here and helps with the chores.”

Denise said to Grunk. “Get the horses and a wagon and gather water from the river okay.” Grunk said back. “Oh….. oh okay.” Denise smiled at him as he took Theo’s small hand in his. “Hi….. I ….. I am Grunk.”

Grunk stood above Theo very tall, at 6’ 7” and probably around 300 pounds he dwarfed Theo. “Theo!” Pallab had come out of the door above and looked down. “What are you doing?” Theo looked turned and looked up, he saw his brother coming down quick and he had his hand on the hilt of his sword, his beard and hair messed up, Denise watched him coming closer. “So me lord, are ya hungry?” she started to cook another small dish, and continued. “Your mum bathed yesterday, but we used all the collected rain water; so we have to get more from the river, please sit.”

Pallab came over and Grunk even stood above him, Pallab saw him put out his hand and eventually took it. “I. I. I am Grunk.” He said with a smile, and Theo finished. “We are going to fetch water.” Denise said. “Go Grunk, time is running the sun will be down and you don’t want to be out then do ya?” Grunk responded. “No.. no maim.”

Theo went with him as Denise said, “You all are so small compared to use, what do you do?” Theo went out the wooden door with Grunk as Pallab looked at Denise. He said. “My parents are hunters.” “Oh good, that is a great skill to have here, please sit have a bite to eat.” Theo laughed a little as he went out with Grunk knowing what Pallab was about to eat.

Theo followed Grunk to the stables, their horses were still there, but he chose two that were big male and muscular, he hitched them to a wagon and picked up Theo and placed him on top. “We….. we must get …. W. water.” But when Grunk got on the wagon it sank down a bit, six wooden barrels on the back. “K K K… come on.” He flicked the reigns and the horses started to go. Down the hill they went and Theo watchted, he saw pens with animals, there was no grass just dirt, wooden fences but the wall already tall made of stone, he looked as more were in wooden wheels with ropes, walking they turned it and a large stone was being lifted.

He watched as a woman helped a man with another large stone, she took a small bit and with a wooden handle took it out, the man then placed a wedge in the stone, he stood and swung down hard with a large hammer and the stone split in two, six others were sanding the edges. “What are they doing?” Theo asked. “The stone, the ….. the stone is … cut in half….. then.. then they just …” Theo stopped him. “They don’t have to cut the stone at all, it is by fire and force and then they clean the edges how simple.”

“What?” Theo could hear Pallab in the background he started to laugh as he heard his brother starting to gag. Denise said fast. “If you blow, you’re going to clean it!” and the cart left the outer wall, the sun was behind them. It took them about an hour and Theo looked at the trees and land cultivated. The trees were trimmed up to about ten feet tall, all visible, a few spots had thick brush to allow animals places to hide in freedom.

When they got to the river, Grunk had the horses come to a stop very close to the river. He got down and put up his hands for Theo, who let him take him down to the ground. “Get….. get…. In the water and bath… bath some…. i…..i can get the barrels.” Theo watched as Grunk went to the back and took a smaller barrel out and placed it in the water, he filled it and went back and filled the first on the back right, he went back and forth doing it over and over, Theo could hear something in the distance, hacking people cutting.

Theo laid his sword down, and took off his belt, boots, and shirt, and went to the water, he placed a toe in, and it was cold, the snow melting above them and near freezing. “Go… go…go ahead Th…. Theo.” Theo started in and Grunk came over he handed Theo a small rectangle sized piece of soap, and said. “Use…. This.”

Theo took the soap and went to the edge of the water but not in, he smelled the bar of soap and it smelled good he could not tell what flower was in it, but it was nice and he dipped his hands into the water lowering his head and hair into the water.

Grunk filled the barrels in the back as Theo bathed in the cold water, and after Theo was done he got up water dripping off his long hair, he shivered a little but the sun was still somewhat high and warm and breathed as he looked around. They had been there for some time, these people; he could see much work had been done before they ever showed up.

After Grunk was done, he came over to the river and picked up a small rock and skipped it over the top and Theo seeing him took a small rock and tried the same but failed, Grunk did another and skipped it across, Theo took another and it skipped twice, and another and another and finally it skipped six times. “Fun.”

Abby awoke, the lanterns out Lattrel had awoke before her and blew them out, there was a wooden window opened letting in fresh air, he hair was tangled from sleeping, she went to the desk made of wood a brush of four small spikes made of bone on it and she took it and started to brush her hair down, the new linen clothes were nice and clean, she felt better than she had in months.

Abby finished with her hair, and got dressed, she grabbed her quiver and laid it around the small of her back and put the bow, with the string undone beside her, she took care of her bow more than she did herself, and finally her daggers and a small sword. She walked out the back just in time.

Her eyes got big and she took the string and strung her bow, Pallab and Lattrel where outside, what she did not know was that Denise told them to stay they had to pay or work, and knowing they had no real skills went to look, but they were different and smaller than those in the city, and the two were surrounded by others.

“Stop.” Said Pallab the oldest, the others coming closer. “Stop!” He drew his sword, as a man came to him the bully of the town and large and with another eight. “What is this weapon you have? Old and heavy, ours lighter and swifter.”

Pallab took his sword and held it with both hands. He could see a crowd gathering around them, it was a sport but Pallab took it as death and the two started to turn around each other. Pallab was side stepping to the right, the man came at him hard with his sword and Pallab struck it down and punched him in the face, the man about his age fell, and punched Pallab in his groin.

A low blow, and Pallab stepped back a little, he regained his composure and now getting angry, started forward, he hacked his sword down, the blow just stopped by the other, he hacked again his heavy sword now a better thing than the lighter one, and again and again. “Yield.” His eyes were big and his dark hair covered in sweat.

He was focused on the bully from the city, who they later found out was the building’s owners son, Lattrell had his sword out to watching his back as they were outnumbered, and as they came forward, an arrow landed right at the foot of one of them, they stopped and looked up. Abby had another arrow already cocked, she had four more in her hands. She aimed down.

Abby watched as one came close to Lattrell and let loose, the arrow flew, and another and another, the first landed in a leg and he dropped, the second landed the shoulder and they dropped their sword the third cut the face of a rusher and he stopped and looked up to her. They all stopped and looked at her, she had rearmed and was looking down to them, four more arrows at the ready.

Denise has walked up the wooden stairs, she came close to Abby and she turned aiming one right at her face. “Whoa. Whoa.” Denise put up her hands. Abby let the arrow out of tension a little, and Denise said. “Don’t mind them, he is a bully the son of the owner of this building, I own the kitchen and bath.” Abby recognized Denise and let her guard down and looked back at her sons below.

The others were backing away, the screams of pain could be heard from up on the balcony, Abby watched as the man with the arrow in his leg pulled back out, making the wound worse, he should have pulled it through.

Pallab stood above the bully, his sword still out and tired he drew back to Lattrell, and it was over. Denise said. “Your boys have a fighter spirit in them I can see.” She placed her hand gently on Abby’s right shoulder. “I am not sure where you come from, but the Lord’s of this land are looking for good fighters and your son down there looks like one.”

Theo watched as Grunk got back into the wagon, and got back on himself, he asked. “How did you learn this stuff to …. Uhm build what you do?” Grunk got the horses to start to move slow and pull the weight of all of it back to the newly built castle. “We…. We,…. We have a smart man.” Theo spoke softer to him, and said. “Breath” Grunk closed his eyes and breathed in. “The maan with the …. Sticks is the builder.” And Theo knew of whom he spoke.

Abby calming down, went with Denise as she explained how it worked how each had to do their part, that from the crack of dawn until sunset each worked hard to achieve the goal of building the castle as directed by the Lord from the north, about two days ride away. Abby listened as Denise told her that up near the ocean there was a larger city, where trade was abundant.

Abby done went to the stables, she rubbed each of the horses, she looked at the most pregnant one, and thought for a moment, she came back later with a little white paint and put a spot on the horse just on the left side of her neck. The fat greasy man came a little later and saw her. He said. “You have paid enough for two moons, how do are you going to pay for the rest?”

Abby turned to him, and responded. “Are horses worth anything to you? If so then you can have in trade this female and her baby for payment.” The fat man looked over the horse, seeing it good said. “Okay.”

Abby listened to Denise, and took three male horses with her, and outside of her advice started north to the bigger city to trade, she had a small leather purse full of coin, silver and gold. Her blades all around her the arrows on her lower back, the bow just over her shoulders.

Abby left the city after talking to Pallab and Lattrell, she instructed them to get to work of some kind and keep their goods safe she left most of the gold and silver with Pallab, she took the bear skins on top of the other three Runner under her, the days warmer than they had she went out, she had to make a turn on the merchandise.

Abby was gone by the time Theo got back, the water was in the wagon in the barrels, cold but fresh, the fires in the city still burning hot, Grunk let him down off the wagon and went forward so that he could get close to a big clay pot and started to take his smaller clay pot and filled it with water, steam came up at first.

Theo watched the people and saw the man he first saw, he was still measuring things, and his wooden sticks had notches in them, for measuring. Theo came close to him and started to talk. “How did you learn this?” Theo asked after watching for some time, the man stood. “From the Romans, and Egyptians if they can do it so can we and easier than they.” The man stood and lifted his right hand to theo after brushing it off, Theo took his hand and shook. “So lord Theo.” Theo stopped, and asked. “Why do you call me Lord?” The man smiled, “You have horses, gold and silver we have all seen it, skins and swords. Your mother left about five hours ago north to the major city where our masters are directing us to build this castle on the top of this …. hill”

Theo listened but he being young still did not get it, his mother was going back north, the blue and white people where there, and trading was a big thing of people, slaves.

It was late in the evening, Denise had the water boiled and that cost them a lot more, each time it cost them a lot. She knew they had money on them, she filled the tub made of stone on the lower floor, the night coming so she lit candles, the smell nice and filling the air, she had basted an old female cow no longer able to give children all day, the main course, the vegetables from around the windows in clay pots and the earth, she made a great meal.

Theo was taken by Denise to the bathroom, she told him to unclothe and he did, and got in, she poured gently water over his head, and this was this first time that Theo felt a good warm bath, he let her pour water over his head some more. Just like his mother he sank into the tub not as much water as he was smaller, she washed his hair. “So Pallab is your older brother?” She asked. “Yes.” He responded.
;)

Reactions: liblue1

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
cartoon land,usa
Mw58.gif

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
Mornin all so good to see you here Redd, that made my day. Found the radio does not give the songs I want when I write have to be in a certain mindset, and found it so have you......

Edit:
Abby was riding on top of Runner, he was watching his own feet and listening intently, the three horses laden with goods as she went alone against the instructions of Denise, not afraid she continued on. The day was getting late and she stopped Runner and took all the gear off of them, the bear skins and swords.

The horses she let free to eat of the land and they stayed near her as she built a small fire, she sat to the north of it as a northern wind was coming, and the night was finally on them. Sparks flew up into the sky the crackle of the wood sounded nice, it had been a long time since she felt safe.

She laid down by the fire and her eyes slowly closed, the next morning the fire was out and just coals, still a little warm, she took a fish given to her by Denise and placed it on top, she took her fork and rotated it after a minute, and let it sit; done she took the fish with her fingers at the tail and it slipped a little done.

She used the fork to remove the skin and with her fingers and fork she ate, this forest was not like the one she grew up in. She saw lights in the distance that made her at first concerned, but they were fireflies. She stood after eating and kicked the dirt over the coals to put them out. It was early, the sun barely up and a pleasant evening and morning at that. She gathered the horses and put the skins and swords back on them and found her bearings and headed north again, she wanted to get to the port trade city.

She rode through the woods, the trees cracked in the wind slight sounds as Runner kept forward, the other horses followed, when Runners ears picked up and he paused. Abby felt it, and let him come to a stop; she trusted him. She got back down, and untied the horses from each other, and took her bow and strung it.

She grabbed five arrows, one she placed to the bow and did not draw, she walked to her right low, and there were tall brush she could hide in. “Come out.” She said. She stayed still watching and repeated. “Go ahead come out.” And finally a male walked from the other side of the trees, he had his left hand up and right holding his own horse.

He wore chain and mail, his sword still on his side he came to the opening. He said. “I saw you last night sleeping by the fire and did not want to disturb you, but why are you out here alone, that can be dangerous?” Abby responded standing and pulled a little on her bow, and he saw her holding four more. She said. “Interesting as you are also out here alone.”

The man stopped and put both hands up, “Hold up.” He went over to were her fire was the coals still hot under the earth and he took a dagger and removed it, and placed a thin slice of ham on the coals, it cooked fast as he then with covered hands took it and ate it.

Abby watched him from a distance as he took an animal skin canteen from his side and drank water. “Want some?” He asked. Abby had her own canteen and said. “No thanks.”

The man stood after taking a drink of water and eating. He asked. “So where are you headed?” Abby said back. “To the north and the trading port city and you?” He went back to his horse and said. “The same, there is a tournament going on this week, and I want to enter.”

“Tournament?” asked Abby. He went back to his horse and slowly took his bow out. “How about a contest between you and I? You and I both shoot a target?” Abby let her guard down a little still holding her bow, as he took a handkerchief out and placed it on the nearest tree and with his dagger stabbed it to the tree, he took another dagger and put it on the bottom of the handkerchief and made it somewhat stationary, he the slowly walked towards Abby.

“The rules.” He said, “Hit the target center or as close as you can, the better you do the more points you get. I do not have a prize that is what the tournament is for. Abby let him close as he turned to face the target his quiver on his back upwards, hers sideways on her low back. “Interesting, ready?” The man grabbed one arrow and put it to the string. Abby got ready. “Go.” The man raised faster as he said go, but Abby gained momentum her reaction faster, he loosed as she did, but as he put his hand back to get another arrow, hers flew, and another. He had just strung his second as she had her fourth ready.

“Would you like to come with me to city with you, that is where the tournament is? It would be safer to travel with another out here?” Abby asked. “What is the prize of this tournament?” The man chuckled, and said. “Gold, wealth, fame you name it, the biggest names will be there tomorrow and for a week.”

Abby walked over to Runner and watching the man closely said. “If we are going to the same place I guess so I was told to take a companion on this journey.” The man in his best gesture came with his horse, another carried his armor he was a knight. He asked. “Ever jousted?” He could see her face turn into a question.

“You will see, come on we have but one day to get there and register.” Abby got on Runner after she took the other three and tied them back together. She followed him as he placed his left hand out to her. “Tom.” She reached out her hand and said. “Abby.” “It is nice to meet you.”

Pallab was the last to bath; Denise made him shy she was pretty to his eyes. “Turn.” He said to her, and she did. He got in the tub as his mother told him he should try, it was hot. Denise came over and asked. “So how did you get wounds on your face?” Pallab answered. “One an arrow another was a blade.” She gently rubbed his cheeks as she looked for infections and saw none.
Time for a break.

Last edited:

tiggerrts

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
OH well for free speech:

We knew this would happen double standards, Hollywood and singers get to mock and make videos of shooting or stabbing Trump (NOT ME) to be clear. Madonna and others, shows you we as American citizens have no rights. two teir system? try three or four. Politicians first who we pay their salary so they "work" for us. Then add Hollywood and their pedophile ways, still nothing. Then Illegals coming across the border have more rights than citizens of this republic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread