Dec 28, 2012
Scotland

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Unless and until I see real-world test data I'm not convinced of any claims by manufacturers regarding capacity, even Panasonic or AW. What they can achieve under ideal conditions versus real conditions makes for some interesting differences. Also, that battery is a protected battery, includes its own overcurrent protection. That can conflict with the control circuits in any mod and may not even be high enough to operate a mod. Check the Nitecore site to see if they show a maximum current drain, it needs to be at least five amps.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I have a vamo v5. What are the highest mah 18350 and 18650's that will fit. I've seen some with freakish mah like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-18...&qid=1386111440&sr=8-1&keywords=18650+3100mah

But I have no idea if they'll fit. The 18350 I bought just now don't seem to last very long. If I could get something that lasted 9 hours I'd be happy.

These in my Vamo - Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Flat Top - Batteries

These in my Provari - AW IMR 18650 2000mAh

I don't care if I can fit more mah, these are safe and reliable.

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Harrisburg (area), PA, USA
My efest 18650's take over 12 hours to fully charge in my trustfire TR-001 charger

I just spent the past 3-4 hours reading here and the main battery warning page. There are some loose ends I have.

(1) Batteries can't be charged unattended so what happens if you don't have 12 hours (or 5-6 I expect my future buy to be)? Are batteries blowing up or catching fire really a big concern if I leave the house for a couple hours during the charge? I plan to buy Nitecore I4 V2, and only Panasonic, Efest, AW IMR 18650 + 18350 batts.

(2) I'm not a heavy user, or at least not yet, so I did see a post about storing batteries for days/weeks/months. What is suggested for max storage time of a fully charged batt? I figure If i have a 3 or 4 batt rotation they may be sitting for a couple weeks eiter not charged or fully charged. All I saw was a few days was fine...

(3) I'm sure there has to be a link somewhere here I haven't come across yet, but how should I properly store these types of batteries. It seem obvious not loose in a drawer. It was strange the scary battery warning page didn't mention this, or I completely missed it.

I have some time to figure this all out as I just ordered my first mod - VAMO V5 from FT last night...

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Some quick answers -

(1) If it takes 12 hours to charge a battery, you're charging at way too low a charge rate. I use Panasonic CGR18650CH batteries a lot, with an Xtar VP1 charger, and charge them at 1000ma, 1 amp. The charge time is, at most, three hours. If you are really concerned about a fire from a battery or charger malfunction while charging, just put the charger and batteries in a cast iron pot.

(2) A charged battery can sit around, fully charged for a year, or even longer. It might lose a little capacity over that long a time period. After a year, a quick charge on an intelligent charger will top them right off again. Damage doesn't occur to a lithium based battery until the cell voltage drops to about 2.7 volts or lower. Even them a good intelligent charger may be able to "bring them back".

(3) Lithium batteries, like the ones used for vaping, should be stored in a plastic or other non-conductive case. If your batteries don't come with a plastic case when you buy them, cases are available from many vendors and are very inexpensive. They should always be in an environment where they cannot be short circuited. Many battery horror stories happen because people put them loose into a situation where they get shorted out. As an example, the change or keys in your pocket can short them out. These batteries are capable of extremely high current, power, output and can quickly overheat enough to cause a fire under short circuit conditions.

(to be read at double speed)
Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk. The end user agrees to hold the poster harmless and without liability. I am not a doctor, scientist, chemist or physicist and hold no academic degrees, nor do I play any of them on TV.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If I may add my thoughts. All regulated mods (VV/VW) use PWM (pulse width modulation) in their processor boost circuits to acheive higher voltages. This requires a "high drain" battery, as explained by the people who make the Provari:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/334831-technical-why-high-drain-batteries.html

Most of the protected ICR batteries do not have the amp limits to fire higher voltages due to the fact that PWM can need twice the output that the user sets his device for. They are not high drain capable.

IMR and hybrid batteries are "high drain". Therefore, IMR or the hybrid batteries are the best choice to use in regulated mods like the Vamo. In the first link below, I have a very large list of the common IMR or hybrid batteries on the market:

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Last edited:

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Sorry 1 more...

(1) If it takes 12 hours to charge a battery, you're charging at way too low a charge rate. I use Panasonic CHR18650CH batteries a lot, with an Xtar VP1 charger, and charge them at 1000ma, 1 amp. The charge time is, at most, three hours. If you are really concerned about a fire from a battery or charger malfunction while charging, just put the charger and batteries in a cast iron pot.

CHR18650CH? or CGR18650CH? I think that was a typo, but I am so noob I'm not sure

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Sorry 1 more...

CHR18650CH? or CGR18650CH? I think that was a typo, but I am so noob I'm not sure

I use these right here Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Flat Top

I bought a bunch last month when they were still listed at $7.50 yay
I use the flat tops only in my Vamo and the AW IMR 18650s in my Provari.
I have a VTR and a Vamo 5 on the way and they both take 18650s so we'll see which get to share with which.

Those Pani 18650s I linked to are great and correct for the Vamo and RTD is 100% trustworthy. :2c:

Also - listen to Baditude - he's the battery guru and really knows his .... :toast:

EDIT - same goes for awsum140 - he's the other guru :toast:

Another edit - I haven't seen xbassman around lately but he's the other other guru :toast:

I only parrot what I've learned from them. You're in good hands here.

Last edited:

richberstler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I use:
Samsung INR18650-20 flat top - works fine if moved briskly side to side the battery shift may be felt - rattle no - ebay
Panasonic NCR18650B flat top - works fine if moved briskly side to side the battery shift may be felt - rattle no - local B&M
Ultrafire XSL18650 button top - works fine in all but my aluminum v2 (too large in dia) if moved briskly side to side no battery shift - rattle no - local B&M
Tangsfire TRC18650 button top - works fine if moved briskly side to side no battery shift - rattle no - Tiny Trade
Tenergy ?18650 button top - works fine if moved briskly side to side no battery shift - rattle no - local B&M
Tried stacking 18350 button tops once but did not like the amount of stress I was putting on the bat spring/control module battery contact. I suspect flat tops would be less of an issue. Vaping with 2-18350s was deemed 'for other people only'.

Wife uses:
AW IMR18350, Trustfire, Tangsfire 18350, single button and flat top with no issues. All but the Tangsfire cane from local B&M, Tangsfire from Tiny Trade

GeorgeIIII

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Kingsport, TN
I just got my V5 a few days back. Had a VTR that I was using Panasonic 18650B's with. They're flat top batteries and so far i haven't had a problem with them. Quickie note: one thing I've noticed with the V5 is that it has a stronger hit to it than my VTR did. Also seems to burn through the batteries quicker. Sometimes my coils won't fire and I have to take my tank off and jiggle it just a bit to get it to fire again. Seems to happen after I refill my tank. Am going to try an airflow controller, since I've heard stories about soft threads on the 510 connection. Other than these minor niggles it's a good APV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread