thinking of getting a yihi to complement my dna.. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
My DNA250's - button gets stuck all the time, think vape have not answered my email. That said,I have heard the same happens on the hcigar vt250 - and hcigar are a brand i respect very much, so i am wondering if it's an issue with earlier DNA250 boards. Note to self, wait in future for second revision of mods... My one and only expensive mod in my collection, is the ONLY one that gives me this sort of issue.. go figure!

Since i'm rocking pretty much only TC mode these days, i heard yihi as as good as dna and even better in 316 L mode.

What do you think?

I held off buying the Q class mini because of it only seating 22" attys flush, and I like to rock my subtank plus sometimes which is 25", as well as a couple of 23 and 24's.
Also i heard of early niggles with the chip. But i now hear that the revision, the "q mini" rather than "q class", has up to 25" flush and has fixed all the bugaboos, and basically it's supposed to be an incredible mod.

it's not like they don't sell either.. the one store in OZ that carries them for 260 AUD (shipped they work out to 199 USD exactly, so there's no benefit in buying one from OS, remember, don't confuse it with the now heavily discounted q class), had 2 red in stock and sold them within the one day i was deciding, as well as all the blacks he had.
He said he is getting more by next friday latest and i'm on auto email notification, but he refuses to let me pre pay and hold one. So hopefully i'm fast enough this time, but I have a couple of basic questions..

1) Do all the preset TC figures just work? I hate mucking about with TCR's especially for pre built coils

2) Is the lifespan of yihi built mods generally known to be long? and Rattle free? I HATE shifting battery doors when gripping and firing and i hate button rattle.

3)Do i need a computer like with a dna, or can more be done directly on mod interface with this one?

4)Do they fire instantly the moment the button is depressed like DNAs do? I have 25 mods and not one fires as fast as my dna40 and dna250. It's instant in any mode, literally.
I would rock my dna 40 forever if it did more than just nickel wire in TC. I love my hcigar VT40 so much - best investment ever and i got it for 69 AUD brand new, which was a very good price.

5)Do the watered down yihi chips in pioneer4you stuff, still have the same acc preset temp control and fast fire? If so would it be worth me investing in say an ipv6x which i can get 55AUD shipped from fasttech right now, or their latest mod the vesta, to see if i like yihi chips in general, or is that NOT a real indication of what their chips vape like?
vesta link:
Pioneer4You iPV Vesta – GrumpyVapes

what i am hoping is that the ipv chips still have just as accurate fire and temp control but are simply watered down in customisability features, which doesn't bother me.

Anyone with knowledge on this, i thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: Hyperspace

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I just had, and then sold, their latest the G Class.
I'd expect that for the Q Mini, you'll be happier.
Pros for the old Yihi mods (I have and love the M & ML)
Well built
Accurate with TC (I use TCR to do SS 430 and NiFe52)
Cons for the old and the current Yihi mods.
Battery life is not what my DNA mods have. My vaping style does not change just because I have a new mod.
I get a full day vaping out of a pair of 30Qs on my DNA167s. I was always well into the 2nd pair with the G Class.
I never heard the buzz/hum while in TC on the ML, I did have it with the G.
Firing. There was a slight delay that I didn't really notice after a few days. I did notice the 'cold start' after it had been unused for a while.
I hated the battery caps on the ML, and the new spring loaded bottom door on the G was worse. No idea about the Q mini. But, for me, Yihi has a special relationship with the Crappy Battery Access Manufacturing Co.
You don't need a computer for the settings that are available. For things like preheat, there are canned boost amounts available on the mod. There is no battery cutoff available. The info shown is the info shown on the display, no possibility of changing the info, say battery percentage and power applied. Then, do you really need to change displayed info? If all you want to do is to change power and temp, it's nicer. If you want to have more, it is impossible.

The OEM Yihi chips aren't going to have the bells and whistles that their flagships have. But, for basic operation, like TC, they should share accuracy. It's the build and warranty where they will be lacking.

Were it me, I'd find a way to get the button replaced on my existing mod. I have the down powered version, the 167. Same chip, different power source so down rated. It can't be a generic thing as mine has no problem, nor have I heard others with the problem on the VT167. Bad design of the case it sounds like.

If you want to see about a Yihi chip and how you'll like it, grab a quality OEM version. If you like it, you'll still be able to get a Q mini and have the OEM as a backup. If you don't, you won't have to bother selling the Q mini.

Reactions: Vesh

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thank you! Unlike you, i think I am officially hating on dna chips. I took another plunge, on an epetite dna 60, and the minus and fire button click perfectly, you know exactly when you've engaged them, and the plus button has zero click. Not a single one. That's 2 out of 2 expensive dna devices that have worse buttons than my $30 eleafs. That's unacceptable. Just bad! My hcigar VT40 is the best built dna device of all of them, for a third of the price. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anyt form of SS temp vaping. Even if it could do SS via tcr and not a preset, i'd be happy with that, as the buttons are amazing, but it can only do nickel perfectly, and "sort of" titanium.

I haven't read anyone who has bought a faulty mini Q yet, so that gives me hope.
As far as display, all i care about is power and temp, so that's fine.

One thing i noticed, all yihi use joules instead of watts for maximum power output choice in temp mode..

If i say use my dna 40 at 30 watts and 440 F, would it be fair to say that 30 joules at 440 would be similar? I juts don't get joules, I will admit.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I have a good combination of both boards, DNA's are generally more accurate, better in TC & more efficient. Yihi was a good alternative back in the DNA40 days, but today their lagging pretty far behind.
This is of coarse just my opinion, your experience my be way different :)

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
I have a good combination of both boards, DNA's are generally more accurate, better in TC & more efficient. Yihi was a good alternative back in the DNA40 days, but today their lagging pretty far behind.
This is of coarse just my opinion, your experience my be way different :)
Is this scientific tests or "feel"? Sometimes feel is more important, i agree.. however like the reviewers that really strip them down to the nitty gritty, all seem to say yihi has more accurate temp than dna 200/250. Just saying what i have seen myself, NOT from personal experience.
anyway will find out in a couple days, as i'm just going to blow my entire free cash this month and get the G.
Screw it!

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Just to point out, the Q mini has magnetic door, meant to be solid as a rock. G is spring loaded? I am not a fan of those on any mod, but as flimsy as they always feel, somehow, once inside, they do tend to stay.. almost every magnetic cover of any mod i have ever used, shifts back and forth in your palm when you hit fire button.. so there is advantage IMO, in bottom feeding batts. So i think it's "placebo" problem with spring loaded door for me lol.

One huge thing for me is that everything can be done from mod without the software being forced.. as a mac user, and evolve's insistence to just refuse to release a mac version, well, that's very frustrating! I also like the iphone app control, looks very easy to use on the yihi.

@ShowerHead, the dna devices i have had problems with are regarded as really good brands. However, i learned my lesson, if i ever buy DNA again, will ONLY be hcigar, say vt250s or upcoming colour screen VT75.

The fact that with dna, you even have to put mod in escribe and run case tests just to get proper working temp results, is so weird to me.. all those things should be calibrated perfectly by manufacturer at the factory! Heck, even Hcigar had issues with VT200, they had wring watt hour setting for lipo! So for those on mac without virtual machine, (which i hate anyway), they couldn't just buy a vt200 and use it from the box properly with correct battery usage!

I have absolutely no idea why over the last two years i have bought 3 dna devices, 1x250, 1x40, 1x60.. maybe self punishment? LOL!

And yet, the VT40 is the one that kills the other ones for me in terms of construction QUALITY. Just kills them. The VT40 has best clicky buttons of any dna i ever felt. Not only that, you don't need to do anything other than put in 1 x 18650, turn on the mod and vape. Either temp on or off, nothing else to worry about, watts if you like, ohms lock, flip screen, that's it. So easy. Best nickel vape I ever had is in VT40 hands down.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Is this scientific tests or "feel"? Sometimes feel is more important, i agree.. however like the reviewers that really strip them down to the nitty gritty, all seem to say yihi has more accurate temp than dna 200/250. Just saying what i have seen myself, NOT from personal experience.
anyway will find out in a couple days, as i'm just going to blow my entire free cash this month and get the G.
Screw it!

Well good luck to you :)
I'v been burned twice now by Yihi mods, My SX M Mini has stripped threads on the 510!
This was a 200$ mod! how can a 6$ VT 510 have better threads?
I got the first 450 Q class, same as the ml before it, just dual battery!
Obsolete before the preorder was shipped :( another wasted 200$
Like I said before back in the SX 350 days, Yihi meant some thing.
Today you want a DNA :)

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
i hear you, and I agree, that's ridiculous.. it kind of makes one think... i've still got an mvp 3 pro that has been used to death, from day one, and every button and feature is still like mint. 1 quarter of the price of the g class, but obviously, "super high end" in it's day. I am not worried about dual battery, i have 8 HB6's, will dedicate 4 to this mod, they can vape at 40 amps, and djls vapes tests confirm that mod can indeed hit 200 watts with just 2 18650. That really doesn't bother me. Mostly, 98% of the time, i will be under 100 watts anyway. Of course, we have to choose what works personally for our own situations.
Anyway that said, your issues with yihi, have been my dna nightmares. I still can't believe that think vape 150 dollar dna 250 , BOTH up and down buttons just get stuck in there especially if you hold down to scroll through a large wattage number. One of the buttons can't even be pushed unless your finger is perfectly pin point center (the minus). I am waiting to hear back from think vape, but i emailed them 10 days ago now, so i really just don't think alot of these devs give a toss once they have our hard earned.
And the lost vape, as i said, the plus button is a joke.. it takes twice the effort of the minus and has no click at all whereas the minus is super clicky.
So both my over $100 dna mods have CRAP buttons. Go figure.

So i could be lucky here, and the g class is everything i've been waiting for, with great buttons and great temp control. OR, it could just be another expensive disappointment.

The thing is, since this is by far the most advanced and expensive thing yihi have ever released, that IF it's not up to scratch, i will know, unequivocally, to never ever buy an expensive mod again.

Honestly, i will just go get something like an MVP4 100 watts which will probably last 5 years and "just works".

I'll let you guys know what it's like once i've used it a couple days. Cheers

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Sounds like you want a Yihi and somebody to tell you how much better it is.
You think the spring loaded door is good?
Let's see, I owned it, used it, hated it, sold it.
Yeah, I'll stick with my opinion.

Good luck with your Yihi.
No, that's you making up fabrications in your own mind, to tell yourself a story that you decided to believe. That's not it at all.
I am going by djlsvapes, who raved about the spring door on the yihi as if it was the best door EVER.. and he actually stripped the mod for an hour and went through everything. You gave me one line on how bad it was, yet seem to be offended that i am taking a punt and taking his word that it is a good door. That doesn't mean yours wasn't bad, but how many people buy 2x 150 dollar dnas and both have bad buttons? So my theory is that perhaps i will luck out with the yihi.
Aus has very comprehensive return laws, so if it's not up to scratch, i will return it. And as I said above, it will my last high end mod ever if it's no good. So it's one last "experiment" if you will.
Somehow you wanted to go and twist the story into something else, good luck to you. LOL. Enjoy your fantasy. (ps if there is one thing i can't stand, it's people putting words into my mouth and pretending THEY know exactly what my motives and thoughts are - next silly reply like that gets a permablock, which is thankfully very easy here).

Last edited:

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
By the way, buying the dna 250 was the most exciting day in all of my vaping life. I was literally chomping at the bit to get it. I never even *considered* a yihi before that. Ever. In fact, i don't really know much about them, other than most reviewers say that for temp control, that and the dna are the top two, and the rest like innokin/aspire/eleaf etc, are all fine and "decent" but not at the same level. I was devastated when i spent that wad of cash on a crap dna 250, but what's worse, i can't get a single email of support to help me, and i was so polite, i specifically read over the email multiple times before sending, to make absolutely certain their was nothing confrontational in it. I just wanted to know if "perhaps this was unusual" and "what would your advice be'? And think vape will NOT answer. Nada. LOL!

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
The thing about the button sticking isn't a DNA thing! DNA chips go into very many different & varing quality mods. To this I can't really say who makes the best DNA mods cause I build my own.
I can give the nod to Hcigar, I bought 2 VT200 enclosures & there Good!
The cases were perfectly made the buttons fitment & chip placement was perfect.
The 510 wasn't the best, but is holding out good. Up to now the finish has held out nicely :)

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
The thing about the button sticking isn't a DNA thing! DNA chips go into very many different & varing quality mods. To this I can't really say who makes the best DNA mods cause I build my own.
I can give the nod to Hcigar, I bought 2 VT200 enclosures & there Good!
The cases were perfectly made the buttons fitment & chip placement was perfect.
The 510 wasn't the best, but is holding out good. Up to now the finish has held out nicely :)
Oh i understand that..

my reasoning is that i have been unlucky 2 out of 2 times, so who's to say i might not be incredible LUcky with the yihi? That's all i'm saying, and perhaps the fellow above was UNlucky with the yihi G, just as i have been UNlucky with DNA's. Isn't that a reasonable possibility?

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
and also as you can see, i pretty much praised the dna's fire response and temp control. This whole topic was really about, " is yihi as good" in other words, i know the dna accuracy itself is fantastic.. but apart from one "no", without explanation, there's not really been much meat on the actual yihi TC.. so i decided to find out for myself.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
As I said, you asked, I answered, you spent time explaining why my first hand experience wasn't.
So, you want someone to confirm your choice to buy a Yihi.

Using your rational, I have around 8 DNA mods. None have a button problem. Therefore, you are incorrect.

As a final note, if you have access to the Steam Crave group on FB, there are many who have screwed battery doors on the G Class.

Here's an excerpt: "Running the Aramomizer plus with my g class and love the setup. Anyone else notice the battery door seems to not sit flush with batteries inside?"

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Hope you enjoy your Yihi device.... I tried a Q and tested it... Sold it in a week.... Worlds of difference in TC and accuracy from a DNA....

As long as the device "trips your trigger" then that's all that matters.... vaping is subjective.... :thumbs:

Just been vaping and testing the new DNA 75 Color.... the mod maker or owner of the device can design the theme to do almost all of the EScribe functions on the device thus EScribe doesn't need to be used.... enjoying it but haven't learned to design the theme yet...

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    The "Q Mini" is a good choice. (disclaimer: I own two of them)

I own a number of single and dual battery YiHi powered mods. Outside of a few "Boxers" almost all of them are YiHi mods. Outside of killing my first SXminiM after 6mo's of service I'm happy to report nary an issue with any of them.

I should note that YiHi chips operate differently than other brands. They use PWM (pulse width modulation) to regulate temperature. This forces the user to adjust the Joules output to be "reasonable" for whatever build they are firing. Otherwise simply setting the mod to maximum output and "letting the mod regulate" will likely result in noticeable "pulsing" of the vapor output. (some claim a "rattlesnake" noise)

The pulses of high end YiHi chips are many:
    • set and forget resistance lock. Unlike other mods the resistance is REQUIRED to be locked. Once locked you can remove/install the tank as many times as you'd like. No nagging questions, no mod "fine tuning". Change coils or tanks and simply lock in the new value.
    • The measured/locked resistance is EDITABLE by the user
    • One of the better "dry coil" detection schemes
    • The "Q" has true balanced charging
    • Nearly all the adjustments are available on the mod itself. No need for a PC unless your trying to enter a "power curve" or some such.
    • Out of the box the mod can be setup and fully functional without a PC within minutes
    • >=9V output voltage
    • While the specification still reads 0.3ohms as the upper limit (from the Ni200 days) high end YiHi chips can temperature regulate 2.0ohm builds
    • If you set the device to "Joules mode" the device will REMAIN in Joules mode. A YiHi chip will never "kick you out of" a mode and revert to power mode.
    • On most/many of its "flag ship" chips YiHi releases firmware updates
    • ALL the buttons can be LOCKED. (no firing or changing wire types or temperature in your pocket)
    • The mod can be POWERED DOWN.

Last edited:

Vesh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2017
    Hope you enjoy your Yihi device.... I tried a Q and tested it... Sold it in a week.... Worlds of difference in TC and accuracy from a DNA....

As long as the device "trips your trigger" then that's all that matters.... vaping is subjective.... :thumbs:

Just been testing the new DNA 75 Color.... the mod maker or owner of the device can design the theme to do almost all of the EScribe functions on the device thus EScribe doesn't need to be used.... enjoying it but haven't learned to design the theme yet...
    Yes if i ever get a dna again it will be the hcigar vt75c.. the looks and screen and i know hcigar will not have any button issues.

I forgot to mention, i have two hcigar vt40 here, cause i love the feel and buttons so much, one is just put away as a desert island safety net, but the buttons are perfect on both.. the best buttons i have ever used on any device, dna or otherwise.. just perfect.. I am pretty sure their new 75 will be flawless, and i'm even tempted to try the dna250 revision, the VT250S, which is now available on flash sale at gearbest for 100 USD shipped (just a guess on the USD, but it's 149 au shipped). so i'm not anti DNA, i have just had bad experiences with "raved about" dna mods.

I'm giving the yihi a go, and one thing I do know is that it comes with way more functionality straight out of the box as well as being able to totally edit it with iphone app. No escribe required.

As far as evolv not making a mac escribe, don't you guys think at least THAT is pathetic?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread