Thinking of moving up to a Vamo, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveI

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2012
NJ
Hi, I've been using 808d exclusively for 2 years and 2 days.

When I saw this:
nautilus<$23.76 Authentic Aspire Nautilus BVC Clearomizer (5.0ml) - 1.6ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping>
I started drooling... time to make the switch. Well I need to match it with a more flexible setup so I saw this:
V5SS<$22.56 Vamo V5 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod - stainless steel / 3.0-6.0V / 3.0W-15.0W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping>
and this:
V5SS<$26.25 Vamo V5 Variable Voltage/Wattage Mod / APV - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping>

I also looked at the v6 and 25, but both don't have VV explicitly. Since this new to me, I thought I could give up some power, to get as much flexibility as possible (and I'm cheap.)

I also want to get safe batteries, so I looked at:
LG<http://www.amazon.com/AUTHENTIC-LG1...=UTF8&qid=1414380943&sr=8-1&keywords=18650+LG>
and
Panasonic<Amazon.com: Two Panasonic NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries QTY 2: Electronics>
and
Efest<Amazon.com: 2 Efest Purple IMR 18650 35A 2500mAh 3.7v Rechargeable Flat Top Batteries: Electronics>

For flexibility, I was also looking at:
Efest<http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Efest-...5494&sr=1-4&keywords=imr+18350+battery+purple>

and a charger<http://www.amazon.com/i2-2014-Intel...=1414453131&sr=8-14&keywords=nitecore+charger>

I figure if I go with it, I'll spend about $100, including spare coils, drip tips and do-dads.
I've done a lot of reading, and want to make sure I keep the bonehead decisions to a minimum.
If these are the only choices, what would you pick? Would the result be trouble waiting to happen?
Any advice/suggestions/criticisms appreciated.

Last edited:

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
I've never owned a vamo, but I have heard good things about them. If you like it I'd say go for it. First time I moved up I went with the mvp2, and from there to a 134 mini from Innokin and then a Reo which is where I stopped. With the vamo, the device itself has safety precautions so I'm assuming efest batteries will be fine. For an all out mech, I'd only recommend AW batteries from RTD as they are safe chemistry. Nautilus is a great tank so you're good there too. As far as chargers go, I can only comment on the one I have. Haven't tried any of the other ones. I have the Efest LUC and it works great for me. Not sure how it compares in price as I purchased mine in a deal package when I bought the 134. I don't think you've made bad choices with the options you've listed(I'm sure others with more info on them will chime in) and I'm excited for you trying something new after two years of vaping with the same set up. Keep us posted

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
I started with Volt back in the day and moved up to a Vamo as my first vv/vw mod. I haven't used the newer models but generally I hated the Vamo because of poor build quality and output signal.

I would consider upping your budget to a Cloupor box mod with a flat power signal and some extra snort to drive that nautilus. If you want something cheaper, go with the nautilus mini and the eleaf istick.

Stacy1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Brunswick,GA,USA
The question is, what is your vape style. Are you a cloud chaser, flavor chaser, like a small device, prefer box mod? All those play a part into what will work best for you. Me, I'm a flavor chaser. I don't care what my device looks like as long as my vape taste good, but others prefer a device that looks most like a cigarette, some prefer something that produces HUGE clouds with the ability to sub ohm, some want only box mod type devices. What matters to you? That will help in determining your best upgrade. Do you want to build your own coils in something to save money, or had you rather buy premade coils?

SteveI

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2012
NJ
Thanks for suggestions...
More background... Im ok with most of my HW, using aspire dual coils & T3's on big stick batteries, including VV, like EGO twist. I mix my own juice, and a few are really weak, like chocolate, and coffees.. If I mix them stronger, they taste nasty. Only works well when I up voltage to 4.3v or more. Problem is everything heats up and I feel like the HW just cant keep up. I don't mind big, ergo 5ml nautilus. (mini is same price @FT)

I want it all, big vape, big flavor, and I notice that certain flavors need an extra kick. I know the VAMO is low end, and don't expect miracles, but still a decent step up for me. Remember, I'm switching from 808's. I have enough supplies to probably go 6 months without another purchase.... just cant resist that nautilus. :)

The cheapo in me is why I mix my own juice. I'm lazy tho, so I usually mix a batch of 5 or 6 different flavors of 30ml each. As long as it comes out acceptable, I'll vape it. Coils, eh, I'm good with buying replacements. I used to dry burn but realized its easier to swap out coils, and the cost is low. I buy 10-20 at a time so I keep myself stocked up. Sub 1 ohms, maybe someday.... but I'm in no rush.

It's late for me, so I'll probably order the stuff from china at least tomorrow night.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

NewellVW

Aug 5, 2014
Batavia,Il,USA
Hey Stevel, just got a Vamo V6 from here VAMO a week ago and it is a solid unit. You have to watch out for the stuff from Fasttech because there are many different Chinese factories making the Vamo and some of them are real trash. The original ones are made by KSD and this one is quality built. Machining is flawless, it's 20w, silver plated and adjustable 510 pin, silver plated battery spring.
Awesome service from Rock Bottom Vapes too. Ordered mine Friday and delivered Monday for $5 shipping. One of the recurring problems with Fasttech is shipping. You could get it in a week, it could be 2 months so keep that in mind also.
Good luck in your hunt for new stuff! Vamo is my all day vape and has been flawless!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I picked up a Vamo V6 on a Rock Bottom Vapes Deal of the Day a couple weeks back (and the Nautilus a few weeks before that.) I've been running MVPs and VV3s all summer, and wanted a little different form factor. I've found I'm pretty much a VW setting gal. So far, been quite happy with the Vamo. I'm just wrestling with getting good batteries. From the Batteries and Chargers section, I've been disinclined to order any batteries from Amazon, but that's just me. In that section, there are a number of reputable vendors listed who offer up good quality batteries which shouldn't be questioned.

I haven't pushed much beyond 13-13.5 watts on the Vamo, and had considered the V5 myself. It's all about what you'd like to try. I did pick up a Sigelei Zmax V3 about 2 months ago as well. I like the Zmax because it can run 4 different battery configurations 1-18350, 1-18490/18500, 1-18650, and 2-18350. The Vamo V5/V6 can do all but the 18490/18500 configuration.

They're solid seem to work very well for me.

Good luck!

SteveI

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2012
NJ
Thanks for the feedback all. I went ahead and ordered everything.... I figure the vamo will get here about 2 weeks after the batteries. :/

For the $22, I figure it will be a good learning experience. If the vamo doesn't function well, I will probably replace for credit. Worst comes to worst, the rock bottom site looks like it has potential, and I can use the store credit to stock up on coils. :)

SteveI

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2012
NJ
FINALLY!!!
After 3 weeks of impatiently waiting, my vamo came in the mail. I love eeeet!!! Its my first APV, and it is almost idiot proof. I read and read, so I know it is not perfect, but so far so good.

The model I received is stainless steel. I can only describe it as simple elegance. I know many are probably sick of it, but not me. It has a 2 line display, always showing battery indicator and puff count at bottom. I can change the display to nothing, or top half to show watts, volts or amps. After all the reading and videos, I had no problem going through features and getting around the menu.... I have it set to show amps, and it also says RMS at the same time.... I don't need a calculator and I know I'm only drawing 2.0-2.2 amps, so I am well within my battery's tolerance. I know what I am setting in volts or watts, so it is nice to be told amps without knowing ohms law. Only had it a couple of hours, and I'm loving it.

I'm using a SI vivi nova, with a 510/510 & ego adaptor. Its great to know I can move from Volt and still reuse most of my gear.

Time will tell if this VAMO will last, but thrilled. I haven't bought new hardware in a long time, but I already feel the urge to try out MORE! maybe a SID or Tesla.... Heck I really like the look of this v5, so maybe I'll get the 35w vamo ..... Should it matter that I haven't gone over 8w yet?

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
I have a Vamo V6 and love it. Using it with a Patriot as I type this. I know some complain about not having VV but I have found I can get what I want with VW. Don't really understand why people need both. Changing one adjusts the other. :confused: But it works perfect for me. And no I don't buy batteries on EBay or Amazon or FT. I use Efest 18650 or Efest 18350 stacked. from America's best vaping and ecig deals and steals - 101 Vape. :2c:

SteveI

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2012
NJ
I'm pretty sue mine is a cheapo knockoff, but not complaining. It cant switch between Mean and RMS, (always RMS). Also, I think the display is different. I wish I could read volts remaining on battery, but do like the 2 line display, always showing the battery meter.

I really like the unit so far. As for batteries, my Panasonics 3400 were from a reputable dealer, and made in japan, so I am hopeful. Havent even drained it once yet. I also bought 18350 demonfire 1200mah high drain.... Not so pleased. I have no reference point but they seem to drain pretty fast. The Panasonics 3400 have 3x the capacity, so after all day of vaping I will get a sense of whether the 1200mah is legit or not.

Also got the Aspire Nautius... . beautiful, but it crapped out, and decided to leak like crazy and spit at me (plus I think the coil flooded so Ill have to let it sit upside down all day just to see if it will fire.). If I can get this beast sorted out, I will be a happy camper. I'm waiting on more gear compatible with my vamo. Most of my stuff is 808/ego and my SI vivi nova is using an adaptor to make it work. It will have to be good enough for me to take it for a spin today.

anendeloflorien

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
College Station, TX
I've had my VAMO V6 for a couple weeks now, it's my first APV too! So far I've been loving it! I'm using mine with a kanger protank 3 on an airflow control valve (entire tank setup from eBay cost me $12) and I haven't had any issues, besides that the center pin has to be re-adjusted occasionally when I switch between tanks. I've tried a variety of different ohm coils on here (1.2 - 2.2) and I'm finding I get the best vapor/flavor on 1.8 ohm coils around 10W.

Good luck with yours!

SteveI

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2012
NJ
Doing great! Loving the Vamo, and it seems air flow control is the new "thing". My Nautilus is a beast, using it a lot. Also I got a cheapo clearo that has airflow control as well, uses kanger coils and I gotta say, great bang for the buck.

It got me looking into mech's. I really like the control and readings, ohms volts, watts. Awesome tool. I kinda like the idea of simplicity. Once I get a better feel between coils, flavors and such, I may go full mech with a kick.... Set it and forget it. Nothing fancy. Heck, I already have NCRs and IMRs.

OthatGuy

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2014
Westcoast
Forget the kick just make sure your educated before you play. You'll love mechs, if you want a tank look at fogger v5 for dual coils and lemo for single coils, don't key anyone talk you into any kayfun variation, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm anytime. Welcome to the edge of the rabbit hole. If you really wanna dope setup look at sobe bottom feeders, a feeder with a rda is very hard to beat.

I've just got my Vamo too, I'm enjoying it but...... I'd prefer the firing button to be higher, nearer to the top which would make it more comfortable to hold and I really wished there was a note somewhere to tell you not to screw the top air thingy too tight 'cos then I wouldn't have needed a pair of water-tank pliers to get my vivi nova off! I envy you guys your nautilus tanks I'm getting mine soon. I might even miss the element of surprise, never quite knowing when that next dry hit is coming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread