TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
I don't envy you that heat TT.

Its HOT!!!!

Hey Sweet Fran ... you know that magazine "Southern Living?"

My wife has a copy of it in the living rom and I picked it up this morning and caught myself looking at it (southern expression).

Have you noticed there ain't no magazine named "Northern Living?"

LOL, I could take that question somewhere but I think I'll behave myself this morning.

I'm such a good boy.

TT

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Tracy, I'm glad my crochet brings up happy memories for you. I know how much you have to do, but take care of you and family time too!

I'm enjoying the rain, we need it here. It does interfere with getting outside to do things tho :)

I beg your pardon Mr. TT...we do have northern living magazines! They teach us how to shovel snow after we get to enjoy the fall colors ;)

yankeemagazine.jpg

Morning all!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I wish it would pour some rain here!!
I'd call that BEAUTIFUL weather!
100 degrees every day, lawn is a beautiful brown, too hot to do anything outside ... but can sit and vape some real nice juice.

TT
Our lawn goes underground in the summer. Just hope no wind starts a dust storm.:D

Have you noticed there ain't no magazine named "Northern Living?"

TT
1e7673717a1cd8de8f9378f52cd8b14b218a3614.jpg
NL-51.jpg

sluers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Shrewsbury, PA
TT, I commend you on showing restraint and sparing us 'Northerner's'. Some of that Southern Hospitality is leaking out ;). I lived in New Orleans for 38 years (Katrina moved me out), and Houston 4 Years. My "What I don't miss" list is much shorter than my "What I do miss"list.

Things I don't miss about the Deep South: #1 THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY
There might be one or two more items on that list, but they escape me at the moment :)

I wouldn't trade shoveling snow for the 'long, hot, and humid' summers for anything, less than a million dollars (I can be bought). :blush: And, I can say this because my daughter is in charge of 'Shoveling Snow'. :D

My brother still lives in Houston and I don't dare call him in the summer (For the other 'Northerner's', summer in Houston is from May through mid-October.), unless I want to hear about his $400 water bill and his dying backyard sanctuary (the money pit) or his monthly $500 electric bill, generated by non-stop A/C, in attempt to keep his 3000 sq ft house somewhat comfortable for him and his cat.

And why does he continue to do this? Stupid Southern Pride!

Now, for something much more important, How to repair an Under-wire Bra. To think how many bras I have thrown away because the wire broke and to see just how easy it would have been to fix them!!!!:cry:

How To Repair An Underwire BraOne Good Thing by Jillee | One Good Thing by Jillee

Oh, I almost forgot "Good Afternoon All" Hope your having a wonderful TGIF! Not that this means anything to TT. Come to think about it, I have no where to go Monday thru Friday either. :laugh:

sluers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Shrewsbury, PA
Well how about that!

The people up north have their own magazines. Now that's real nice!

Never have seen them for sale down here .... maybe they tried and couldn't sell any of them?

TT

Now, why would the folks in the south want to spend good money reading about the folks in the north enjoying the four seasons?????

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
Here's a little info for those of you who really want to be Southeners:

Southerners know the movies that speak to their hearts:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Driving Miss Daisy
Steel Magnolias
Gone With The Wind

Southerners know their religions:
Bapdiss
Methdiss
Football

Southerners know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
Chawl'stn
S'vanah
Foat Wuth
N'awlins
Addlanna

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some shugah" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana pudding!

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that" just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, ... and when we're "in line,"... we talk to everybody!

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

In the South, “y'all” is singular, “all y'all” is plural.

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Every Southerner knows that tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; that scrambled eggs just ain’t right without Tabasco , and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her sweet little heart"... and go your own way.

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff....bless your hearts, I hear they’re fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

Now Shugah, if you're a Northern transplant to the South, bless your little heart, we know you got here as fast as you could.

TT

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
I'm a Southern transplant to the North TT. You ain't taught me nothin I didn't already know ;) Katie laughs at me for using the term "I'm going to town." Bless her heart, she's lived here all her life.
LOL, well at least you can tell the others that the things listed in my post are true!

TT

sluers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Shrewsbury, PA
Here's a little info for those of you who really want to be Southeners:

Southerners know the movies that speak to their hearts:
Fried Green Tomatoes
Driving Miss Daisy
Steel Magnolias
Gone With The Wind

Southerners know their religions:
Bapdiss
Methdiss
Football

Southerners know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
Chawl'stn
S'vanah
Foat Wuth
N'awlins
Addlanna

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some shugah" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.

All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana pudding!

Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that" just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, ... and when we're "in line,"... we talk to everybody!

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

In the South, “y'all” is singular, “all y'all” is plural.

Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Every Southerner knows that tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; that scrambled eggs just ain’t right without Tabasco , and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her sweet little heart"... and go your own way.

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff....bless your hearts, I hear they’re fixin' to have classes on Southernness as a second language!

Now Shugah, if you're a Northern transplant to the South, bless your little heart, we know you got here as fast as you could.

TT

All 100% true and every last one of them are on my 'Things I miss' list. Thank you Darlin!

sluers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Shrewsbury, PA
Black Boxes in 4-wheel Drives

The National Transportation Safety Board recently divulged they had covertly funded a project with the US auto makers for the past five years, whereby the auto makers were installing black boxes in four-wheel drive pickup trucks in an effort to determine, in fatal accidents, the circumstances in the last 15 seconds before the crash.

They were surprised to find in 40 of the 50 states the last words of drivers in 61.2 percent of fatal crashes were, "Oh, ....!"

Only the states of Georgia, Florida, North and South Carolina, Mississippi, Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama, Texas and Tennessee were different, where over 89.3 percent of the final words were: "Hold my beer and watch this."

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
This is so funny, but I have to warn you, the 'F' word is used a lot.

A Southerner moves north

A SOUTHERNER MOVES UP NORTH

LOL, I'll pay my air conditioning bill!!! There's been plenty of times we've run it Christmas Day! And that post is why I'm glad to do it!!

5Card, I knew instantly you were a Southern boy! I never had a doubt!

Sweet sluers. come back down here as soon as you can. The South can always use more fine people like you!

And all the rest of you snow shovelers, we have lots of room and a warm welcome for you too!!!

TT

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
This is so funny, but I have to warn you, the 'F' word is used a lot.

A Southerner moves north

A SOUTHERNER MOVES UP NORTH

Sluers, that is precisely how I would describe my first New England winters! Moving to Ct 3 years ago was not my first time living up north, I lived in Maine from '93 to '97.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread