This is threatening to put my MVP's on permanent retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I've always said how convenient the MVP is and told everyone that while I love my ProVari's the MVP is more convenient when on the road because I don't have to deal with extra batteries and chargers.

Well, I saw something on Tasteyourjuice.com and for sale at Sun-Vapers that is threatening to retire my MVP's once and for all.

Xtar MC1 Portable USB Charger | Sun-Vapers.com

The xtar MC1 portable USB charger. Will charge using a Micro USB cable. Easy to put in your computer bag or small enough to put into your little eGo case. Easy to use your phone charger. Easy to use in the car.

And it's very inexpensive.

It doesn't charge them fast, but it's a lot better than throwing in a big charger. You can even use it as a battery holder to hold your spare.

I just bought it an let you know how it works.... My poor MVP's.....

Last edited:

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely let us know what you think. I just ordered another Nitecore because I brought the Trustfire on a trip this week and it wouldn't even charge an 18500 overnight (yes, I know you're not supposed to charge overnight but I was on business and it was the only time I could charge). Luckily I had brought enough batteries to get me through. We bought the Trustfire when I bought my first Provari but a day or two later I won the Nitecore in a raffle so the Trustfire never got much use. Have another trip coming up in a couple of weeks though and probably more travel this year so I'm interested in something more compact. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sooner or later, you are going to be using your Provari's when out-and-about rather than just for home use.

You've been "babying" your Provari's thus far, fearful of bringing the Provari's outside of the protective security of your home. Trust us, the Provari can handle anything that can happen away from home.

My Provari's go everywhere I go. One is always in my hand, my pocket, or in my lap. A spare battery in a plastic battery case takes up very little room in my pants pocket.

I've carried my own MVP with me out of the house, too. However, I've always preferred the Provari over the MVP.

Kellysleep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Lynchburg,VA,USA
Since the day they arrived I have taken one with me everywhere I go, knock on wood I have yet to drop one but o feel confident if I should it will survive. I can say I have not picked up any of my other mods since the provari's arrived, I enjoy the vape I know it is better then the other mods I have so why would I want an inferior vape when I don't have to? Sorry not trying to sound like a vape snob.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
pbusardo called them out about a month ago and said they are pretty nice. They are intelligent chargers and very small.

Some reviews I've seen talk about the micro usb charger connection being a little fragile, so remove the cord before you pocket it.

I plan to use it as a spare battery holder. Then if I have to swap batteries, put the spent one in and charge off my phone charger at work or in the car.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Well guys it's here. It's really nice and small. It comes with it's own USB to Micro USB cable. Has an LED to give you battery status (red=charging, green=charge complete, no battery inserted, off=polarity reversed).

It has reverse polarity and short circuit protection. It will also lower the current in high ambient temperature environments to avoid over heating. It has a soft start function to prevent damage to the battery from a large current surge and It has 0V battery activation to recover over discharged batteries and a three stage charging curve.

I really like it.

Here's a pic of it on my desk taking some juice from the phone charger I keep permanently plugged in at work.

18650 microusb.jpg

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
From Battery University:

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold, or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime. Since the consumer market promotes maximum runtime, these chargers go for maximum capacity rather than extended service life.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

A lot of charging myths apply to older NiCad's (such as full charge and deep discharge to clear memory).

I gave my 18650 a quick "squirt" during lunch while I was eating. Took it from 3.8 to 4.0 volts...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread