• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

...thoughts and prayers........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheyna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So glad to hear that Marlene is making progress. Even slow progress is a beautiful thing, because it's moving forward.

You're going to be really busy the next 48 hours, madjack, so if you look in before your big day, the prayer machine is refueled, for an UBER-successful operation, and a speedy, pain-free-as-much-as-possible recovery for you.

We'll be thinking of you on Wednesday :)

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...and the adventure keeps on, keeping on.............

...first, I must offer my heartfelt apologies for first not posting before my surgery and then waiting so long afterwards to post an update...I am afraid my head was in such a place, that this is the first time I have looked at or touched a PC in near a month...I hope y'all can understand.............

...next a bit about my poor Baby...we had to be at the hospital at 5:30AM on 3-7-12...my surgery started at 7:30 and was done by 9:30...unfortunately for my Baby, this as her first time out of the house for more than a few minutes and her emotional distraughtness was in full swing and the hospital took until 4:15 to get me into a room...they finally had to give my wife a room to lie down in around noon since, she just couldn't take sitting up in the waiting room any longer...thank goodness for my 84yrold mother who sat up with her and chatted non-stop for hours to help keep my wife spirits up...the hospital finally got me into a room a little after 4PM and my wife showed up pushing a wheel chair with all our gear in it...the nurses took one look at her and promptly forgot all about me and spent some time taking care of her(bless their hearts)....

When I had my first hip replacement 2.5yrs ago, I literally hit the ground running afterwards and never had any problems...unfortunately, this was not the case this go round...when the PT people came in the next morning to get me up, my leg was like a dead sack of meat and I had absolutely no control over it...except for straight back, no matter what I did, I couldn't control it and it would hit the ground pointing in most any direction...after spending most of the day working on a bunch of isometrics exercises, I was able to control it that afternoon and the next day...I had the operation on Wed and the Doc wanted to keep me until Sat but, with a bunch of cajoling, he let me go home Fri evening...with the help of my two best friends, I got home and settled in and continued to get up and walk(with much effort) over the weekend...although, I am continuing to use the walker, I am getting around pretty well...even driving and on Thur last, they removed the staples allowing me to finally get some sleep...hopefully by next week I should be able to dump the walker and goto a cane and continue to make good progress...I must say, I had much more bruising and soreness that I did with the first surgery...of course, I was in much better shape the first time around that I was this time......

...my wife continues to make GREAT progress and regained most of her abilities with numbers and her writing is getting much better, as is her stamina......

I would like to once again, take the opportunity to thank all for the positive thoughts and prayers and ask you to continue to think of us, my wife second surgery will be in late May with her final surgery in Aug or Sept...thank you all so much...and once again, I apologize for taking so long to post this update............
Jack...................

Last edited:

36tinybells

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
Right Over Here
Oh Thank You so much for posting! I'm am sorry you had such a hard time! I am very glad to hear you are now on the path to recovery and that your wife is doing so very well! Your mom sounds like a blessing and I am glad you have found so many great health care workers. Hang in there, keep on getting better. You will both be in my thoughts.

Sheyna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
MADJACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We knew when you were feeling up to posting, you would. No need to apologize. Your priorities were absolutely in the correct order.

Sorry to hear that it was really hard on Marlene, but so glad the hospital realized they had two patients on their hands, and acted accordingly.

Also sorry to hear this go-round wasn't easy-breezy, but it sounds like you trudged through and overcame the obstacles. Hearing that you are already driving is great news, and also that chucking that walker for a cane is in the near very future.

Also hearing that Marlene's progress is forward progress is wonderful.

Gotta love moms, even when they're up there in years. What an angel she was to help Marlene overcome her anxiety.

It's great to finally hear from you. Yes, we were concerned, but not wanting to be near a PC for that long -- totally understandable.

You and Marlene remain in daily prayers, and positive vibes for continued healing, and that you will be out and about like a spring chicken again.

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
MADJACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We knew when you were feeling up to posting, you would. No need to apologize. Your priorities were absolutely in the correct order.

Sorry to hear that it was really hard on Marlene, but so glad the hospital realized they had two patients on their hands, and acted accordingly.

Also sorry to hear this go-round wasn't easy-breezy, but it sounds like you trudged through and overcame the obstacles. Hearing that you are already driving is great news, and also that chucking that walker for a cane is in the near very future.

Also hearing that Marlene's progress is forward progress is wonderful.

Gotta love moms, even when they're up there in years. What an angel she was to help Marlene overcome her anxiety.

It's great to finally hear from you. Yes, we were concerned, but not wanting to be near a PC for that long -- totally understandable.

You and Marlene remain in daily prayers, and positive vibes for continued healing, and that you will be out and about like a spring chicken again.

Sheyna, you said it all and beautifully. Gosh it's good to hear from you MJ and thank you for the update. Continuted prayers and thoughts for you both. Be well.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
....sorry for the long wait on an update...things just get in the way...we had computer issues that took a month to get the money to fix...finally went to pick it up to day and apparently the starter locked up on the car...my bud, Gary came and towed me home and we will try find car problems tomorrow...

...now for the updates...first up is me...I am in my 2nd mo of recovery...I am coming a long OK, not quite as fast as the first but it is coming around, I have been off the walker and using a cane for about a month now and use it as much for balance as weight distribution...hopefully, I'll be as good as (almost) new in another month...at least be free of the cane.....

...now for Marlene...her next surgery is scheduled for the 21st of May...things could be better, the fact is, they had to "scramble" her brain and bit and she is still very weak, not much stamina and the heat is a killer to her...her ability to write clearly and deal with numbers comes and goes along with her stress levels...which still remains high especially when she has "brain farts" resulting in confusion and emotional distraughtness...she continues to do her knitting, crocheting and bead work(made several nice rosaries)...

...the hospital she worked at for the last 18yrs has effectively thrown her under the bus and dealing with the insurance companies(multiples), the hospitals and the Doctors are enough to drive sane people nuts and stress sick people to death...and both into the poor house...while we have gotten excellent care, the facts remain, dealing with the various bureaucracies is enough to make a person BELIEVE in single payer, universal health care...

...once again, my apologies for the rant above and for the PC probs that caused this late update...Marlene and I both highly appreciate all the prayers and positive thoughts and humbly ask you to continue to think of us...
Jack...........

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...the latest updates...5/18/12...
...first off, I am doing fine...walking (a bit) without a cane except for help with balance...I have even picked up my big ol' weedeater and started on a couple of year backlog of yard work( a little at a time)........

Marlene finally seemed to have turned the corner on her recovery, showing a little more strength and endurance along with much less emotional distraughtness...unfortunately, she goes back into the hospital on the 21rst for her second brain surgery...we are understandably a bit on edge about this and hope for an outcome similar to the first...please keep her(us) in your thoughts and prayers...they sure seem to help.........

I cannot even begin to tell you how PO'd I am at her employer (for the last 18yrs)...they have thrown her under the bus without so much as a how ya do...luckily, her insurance is still in effect as long as we pay the premiums(near 1000bux/mos) which amounts to half her disability pay which hopefully remains in effect at least until her 3rd surgery...after Aug(her 3rd surgery should be around this time), she will go on long term disability which is another 10% cut...we have made application to Social Security for permanent disability...just in case she doesn't come back fully and have retained a lawyer to assist us in this...we'll see what comes down the pike...the truly funny/ironic thing is the Docs tell ya to avoid stress at all costs and the insurance bureaucracies do everything in there power to cause all the stress they can...this is not a new story to anyone with major illnesses but sure has been an eye opener to us...I advise all with(or even without) insurance to take a hard long look at their policies and think about what they would do if they found themselves without an income for a year or more.....

...anyway, I would like to thank all for the continued support, prayers and positive thoughts and humbly ask you to continue them on our behalf..........Jack

p.s. after 10+ years of using "cheaters" to be able to read and see finally, broke down and went to the eye DR and got a pair of bi-focals...and rediscovered an amazing fact, leaves have edges...lololol........j

p.s.s. THANK YOU SUNNY, you are truly a godsend...bless you girl............j

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread