Thoughts on a mod concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
So, I am brand new to vaping but can see myself becoming a hobbyist very quickly. Last night I was walking around outside to clear my head and do some creative thinking which is what I always did with analogs and got to thinking about a box style mod using the battery from something like my Motorola Droid 3 which is flat, 3.7v and 1500mAh. It could be very thin and light weight using an external 510 or the like connection or even better have a connection that slides into the unit allowing something like a cartomizer to be completely stored inside the box and then pulled out after opening a small door cover when ready to use. Another possibility would be a square shaped tank system which would make the unit more bulky, but longer lasting in terms of fluid.

The BF5X battery is very common, costs $10-12, is 1500mAh and is quite compact. I saw box mods that use round batteries and simply thought it looked like a waste of space. Plus, you could use the exact same charger as your phone to charge the unit. The mod would be best if it mimicked the Droid styling with the black rubberized case and sleek buttons.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
I don't think it will handle the amperage. And I'm pretty sure it's been tried. I'd like to be wrong>

Hmm...might have to get some commentary from someone with more knowledge on electrical engineering.

The BF5X battery has a max rating of 6Whr (6 watt hours), but I don't know if that translates to the Watt's Law calculation of (VxV)/R = W directly or not. If so, the battery should be able to handle a 2.5 ohm carto just fine since (3.7 * 3.7) / 2.5 = 5.476 watts. But again, I don't know if that's the case.

I understand what you're saying though. The batteries used in pvs tend to have alot in common which RC cars where there is a high power draw over a short time while cell phone batteries tend to be oriented toward lower power draw over a long time.

Rexor

Jan 11, 2012
In a galaxy far far away
What you need to know is the "C-rating" of the battery.

A 1500mAh 1C battery is good for 1.5A (1 x 1500mA/1000)

That is to say a 1500mAh 1c batt would provide 1.5A at 3.7V for an hour :)

Oh and as far as that small flat form factor what abut a small "bladder" type bag to hold juice? Think mini camel bak.

Last edited:

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
What you need to know is the "C-rating" of the battery.

A 1500mAh 1C battery is good for 1.5A (1 x 1500mA/1000)

That is to say a 1500mAh 1c batt would provide 1.5A at 3.7V for an hour :)

Oh and as far as that small flat form factor what abut a small "bladder" type bag to hold juice? Think mini camel bak.

Yeah having a heck of a time finding that. I know it's 3.7v, 1500mAh and 5.6 Wh, but haven't found if any of that translates into maximum amperage draw and I'm also not sure what kind of amperage a single coil 2.5 ohm carto would need to operate.

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI

Using that, I see no reason why the batt shouldn't work. I put in 3.7v and 2.5 ohm which gave me 1.5A and 5.5W. Both of those specs fall exactly where I expected since 1500mAh / 1000 = 1.5A and the Wh rating printed on the batt says 5.6Wh.

That is of course if the batt is rated 1c. I may just buy one and rig up a test system behind an acrylic shield in case it blows up :evil:

Last edited:

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
2 new mod concepts rolling through my head.

1. .50 BMG casing as a battery shell for a PV.

300px-Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

2. Modify a model of an Apollo program rocket into a PV with a passthrough USB connection at the bottom. The pv/rocket could then be set on a model launch pad charging station.

ap11-KSC-69PC-241HR.jpg

wfx

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
VA
not sure you want advice from an ee turned corporate hack, but ...

right. the stock phone cells don't have the punch. forget the battery. but go with the shell. i think some guy on ukv is working up to buy iphone shells and encase a box mod. beat him to it with the latest motorola skins and we can have a classic platform compatibility war.

i think the bullet has been done. the model rocket would be cool. i was just thinking the other day this torpedo ce2 tank is pretty close to a three stage rocket.

Last edited:

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
not sure you want advice from an ee turned corporate hack, but ...

right. the stock phone cells don't have the punch. forget the battery. but go with the shell. i think some guy on ukv is working up to buy iphone shells and encase a box mod. beat him to it with the latest motorola skins and we can have a classic platform compatibility war.

i think the bullet has been done. the model rocket would be cool. i was just thinking the other day this torpedo ce2 tank is pretty close to a three stage rocket.

Well that sucks about the batt, but thanks much for the knowledge and encouragement! :)

c4bed37c00ea76c33ab9038c601cc6738d57f47b-original-puregear-rubberized-grid-case-w-slide-in-holster-for-motorola-droid-x-mb810-milestone-x-mb809.jpg

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-1...-motorola-droid-x-mb810-milestone-x-mb809.asp

What about this? It's a holster, rubberized, has cutouts for connections/buttons/LCD for vv readout already and even a large cutout for a bottom feeder. Either the 2 parts could be made to securely lock together, or an acrylic cover could be put over the open section of the case making the internals visible or even just an opaque cover which would be a cool place to put a logo.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate

pumasforpets

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
NWI
Alright, so the one thing I have been having trouble finding is the min/max amperage required. The Provari specs say it shuts off if the amps exceed 2.5A. I assume 2.0-2.5A is sort of the sweet spot. Been doing a little research and found a sweet ... batt that would work perfectly in terms of specs, but it says max draw 7.0A. Been scanning through electronics information sites and reading up on whether a load will only pull as much amperage as it is able or if a higher amp batt can deliver too much current to the load :)

This is so fun! Definitely a steep learning curve, but rest assured that I have no plans to go in blind and start hacking away. I wouldn't dare start anything until I fully understand it :toast:

Oh, here's the batt: It's part number 2LP455590P5H on R/C Hobby

7.4v, 2300mAh, 7Amp max. It's 90mm L x 55mm W x 9.0mm thick and the Droid X phone that I would plan to use the case cover and holster for is 127mm L x 66.04 W x 10.16mm thick so it'll fit perfectly in the desired space and leave some room for other components.

Well, I'm off to read a metric crapton of electronics theory :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread