RDA Thoughts on the Freakshow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I might be late to this discussion, but I thought I would point out that it is probably your build and wicking that is causing the problems with the freakshow. I take repeated hits with it without having to re-drip. I don't have a leaking issue dripping through the top cap. And I get massive vapor and flavor.
This is what the build looks like. 24g nichrome at .21 ohm. If I was going to do it with Kanthal, it would be the same, except with 6-wraps per coil.
ucZ99Dn.jpg

Whats your diameter on the coil? I'm thinking I have to tighen up might diameters a bit on some of my builds and loosen them on others. My standard is 2.7ish. I am still uncertain how diameter effect flavors and clouds.

• Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Got my replacement today and loaded it up right away. The negative posts look a little better secured to the atty compared to my first one. Sadly I was out of 28 gauge kanthal, so I did a 6 wrap 26 gauge twisted dual coil build around a 2mm drill bit that came out to .25 ohms give or take. Wicked with rayon. I stuffed the wicks to the outside of the negative posts after some thinning. I just got an order of Suicide Girls Mothers Milk at 3mg nic, and to say that it hit like a train would be a bit of understatement. I had to put a longer stem pyrex drip tip on it to reduce the heat and popping. Definitely a fairly intense vape, good, but not an all day vape. For the money, assuming you get a good one first time, I definitely think its worth the buy for folks who like flavor with a decent cloud. Definitely digging the under the coil air flow, much better then the magma version of it.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Got my replacement today and loaded it up right away. The negative posts look a little better secured to the atty compared to my first one. Sadly I was out of 28 gauge kanthal, so I did a 6 wrap 26 gauge twisted dual coil build around a 2mm drill bit that came out to .25 ohms give or take. Wicked with rayon. I stuffed the wicks to the outside of the negative posts after some thinning. I just got an order of Suicide Girls Mothers Milk at 3mg nic, and to say that it hit like a train would be a bit of understatement. I had to put a longer stem pyrex drip tip on it to reduce the heat and popping. Definitely a fairly intense vape, good, but not an all day vape. For the money, assuming you get a good one first time, I definitely think its worth the buy for folks who like flavor with a decent cloud. Definitely digging the under the coil air flow, much better then the magma version of it.

wotofo makes a wide-bore top cap for it. It would be perfect for your current build.

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
North Las Vegas, Nevada,U.S.A.
I just got my Freak show V2 today and I'm enjoying it very much. I've found it to be on par with my both my Tug Boat V2 and Marquis in single coil mode. These three RDAs have different air flow designs (bottom/side/rear) and I've come to the conclusion that their all equally good RDAs, but for the price the Freak Show wins hands down. I know that there's differences in their drip wells, chamber/chimney sizes, posts and looks, but the fact remains that their all quality RDAs IMO.

Reactions: VegasVaap

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
How leaky is the Freakshow?
Only eight hours of vaping, but no leaks. I've never had "leaking" issues with any of my RDAs, although I have heard of the Freak Show leaking if your ID of your coil is to large and then the excess juice drops down into the air-intake. I believe that the biggest problem with RDAs leaking is "user" error and not design flaws.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
How leaky is the Freakshow?

I actually get regularly leaks, the well is somewhat tight, especially when you get the wicks tucked in, doesn;t leave a while lot of room for juice. Care with refilling should alleviate the problem, I tried smaller diameter coils to reduce the amount of wick needed and I am still getting the occasional leak through the airflow, or from condensation around the bottom lip of the top cap. That said, it still hits very nicely, and very intensely on a .25 build.

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks for the replies. EJAB I agree that a lot of the leaking complaints are due to the user rather than the device. I don't have a leaking with my Plume Veil clone and that's one that a lot of people have complaints about. Yeah, there's some seepage at times but as long as I'm cautious with my dripping, I don't have any issues.

The Freakshow is supposed to have great flavor which is why I'm interested. Plus the V2 has a single coil configuration which is a plus for me as that's all I use at the moment.

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
Thanks for the replies. EJAB I agree that a lot of the leaking complaints are due to the user rather than the device. I don't have a leaking with my Plume Veil clone and that's one that a lot of people have complaints about. Yeah, there's some seepage at times but as long as I'm cautious with my dripping, I don't have any issues.

The Freakshow is supposed to have great flavor which is why I'm interested. Plus the V2 has a single coil configuration which is a plus for me as that's all I use at the moment.
I've found the Freak Show to be an excellent performing RDA, at least in single coil mode. My ONLY complaint is that I've found myself dripping ALOT more often, in comparison to the other RDAs that I've used. The shallow drip well is the only "fault" that I could find with the Freak Show.

EDIT: I only use single coil builds, so I can't comment on dual coil builds.

Last edited:

jsl5150

Feb 2, 2015
I bought a Freakshow for my Wife and I'm very impressed with it. It's a good all 'rounder. Very good to excellent flavor when closed up. Nice clouds opened up at high watts.

I've tried several builds and I like it best with twisted kanthal or Tiger wire. Just rebuilt it tonight with centerpost build dual tiger coils, 4/5 wrap at .32 Ohms. I keep the coils a few MMs above the air holes and just slightly inside of center. I like it better with denser fill of organic cotton tucked/stuffed in behind the coils to compensate for the small juice well. Rayon wick work and taste very good in the freakshow too. I have to say that this is an extremely underrated RDA and can't be beat for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread