Throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankieboy

Sep 17, 2014
London
Just noticed some stuff with throat hit I thought I'd share with you, although this has probably been already discussed 100 times...

This applies to mouth to lung people like me. Straight to lung people have their own methods.

Throat hit seems to be also affected by technique, not only equipment and juice, and I've noticed two techniques so far that work for me :

1 : Whereas you usually smoke a ciggie by drawing into the mouth then straight away into the lungs, try trapping the whole draw in your mouth for between 1-2 seconds before actually inhaling it into your lungs = increased throat hit. Probably increased nicotine hit too.

2 : Take a draw and right at the last point while drawing into the mouth, inhale in through your nose for a split second, then inhale into lungs = increased throat hit. Takes a bit of timing at first, almost like you're sniffing immediately before inhaling.

I prefer no. 1. - No. 2 can make you look a bit like you've got a nervous tick, or worse - like you've been doing things far more dodgy than ecigarettes. But it still has its benefits.

They work for me anyway. Means I can turn the voltage down a bit and save my equipment and juice = less money.

You probably all know that anyway, but thought I'd post it up anyway - maybe completely new people can benefit from it.

Also, has anyone noticed you get a better throat hit from a cold tank, or is it just me?

If you have any other techniques, post 'em up if you like if you think it will help people.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Throat hit is almost always determined by the nicotine level. Techniques will only do so much, but the "throat hit" is almost always nicotine strength. Sometimes strong menthols will replace the hit, but otherwise, it's not your technique, it's the level of nicotine you are using. Your techniques will always revolve around your nic level. If you're using rebuildables, the nic level will be EXTREMELY strong.

Last edited:

Frankieboy

Sep 17, 2014
London
Throat hit is almost always determined by the nicotine level. Techniques will only do so much, but the "throat hit" is almost always nicotine strength. Sometimes strong menthols will replace the hit, but otherwise, it's not your technique, it's the level of nicotine you are using. Your techniques will always revolve around your nic level. If you're using rebuildables, the nic level will be EXTREMELY strong.

I'm glad to hear this actually. I've just ordered some juice online that is a slightly higher level than I've been using. I think what I'm talking about is that some smokers, like me, smoke in a very relaxed fashion, and if you notice, some of the smoke comes out of their mouth before they exhale. The techniques to me seem to preserve more of the vapour for inhalation, kind of trapping it, therefore that's where the increased throat hit comes from for me - more vapour off each drag. Before, I'd noticed some of the vapour coming out before I inhaled it.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Inhaling techniques are different with everybody. The throat hit, again, is mostly determined by the nicotine strength. Menthol adds to this.

If the throat hit is too strong, drop your nic level. Some all-VG (vegetable glycerin) juices lack throat hit, but if they're at 2.4 mg, it's still gonna hit hard. You *will* know if the nicotine strength is too strong for you.

I used 2.4 for two years, then dropped to 1.8 recently. I use cartomizers and cartomizer tanks. They are an old-school way of doing things. If you're interested in rebuildables, you're going to HAVE to drop your nic strength. There is no way around that. The amount of vapor you will get from rebuildables will make up for any lack of throat hit.

I've encountered one person who desired throat hit but didn't want to increase their nic level or switch to PG heavy liquids. Eh. In that case, I said good luck.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
An iClear 16 is not a rebuildable. You're okay, you're not doing anything wrong at all.

The voltage on your battery (your Twist or Spinner) (i.e., cranking it up, turning it down) has absolutely nothing to do with the nicotine strength of your juice. The "turn it up turn it down" feature of VV (variable voltage) is essentially a heat dial. If you turn up your spinner or twist, it's not increasing or decreasing your nicotine level (per se). What the "VV" feature does is make your coils in your "tank" or "topper" burn more hot. The hotter a coil burns, the more liquid it will vaporize. This doesn't always mean a better tasting vape, or more vapor. If you run your vape pen-style battery at max voltage, you're going to burn through a lot of your "atomizers" a lot more quickly, and you're going to drain your battery much faster. It may also make your juice taste burnt.

"Cranking things" to the max doesn't equal uber vaping in this case. In fact, it can do the exact opposite of what you intend.

Last edited:

Frankieboy

Sep 17, 2014
London
An iClear 16 is not a rebuildable. You're okay, you're not doing anything wrong at all.

The voltage on your battery (your Twist or Spinner) (i.e., cranking it up, turning it down) has absolutely nothing to do with the nicotine strength of your juice. The "turn it up turn it down" feature of VV (variable voltage) is essentially a heat dial. If you turn up your spinner or twist, it's not increasing or decreasing your nicotine level (per se). What the "VV" feature does is make your coils in your "tank" or "topper" burn more hot. The hotter a coil burns, the more liquid it will vaporize. This doesn't always mean a better tasting vape, or more vapor. If you run your vape pen-style battery at max voltage, you're going to burn through a lot of your "atomizers" a lot more quickly, and you're going to drain your battery much faster. It may also make your juice taste burnt.

"Cranking things" to the max doesn't equal uber vaping in this case. In fact, it can do the exact opposite of what you intend.

Ah ok, thanks for the advice, I find about 3.8 is right for me, on what I believe are 2.1 ohm coils. I did try it on above 4, but I dunno, it starts affecting the flavour a bit.

What would you advise for a step up into consistent flavour without too much maintenance? Something like the Vivi Nova? The iclears are good, but seem to require a fair bit of maintenance to keep the flavour. I think they gum up quite quickly.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Inhaling techniques are different with everybody. The throat hit, again, is mostly determined by the nicotine strength. Menthol adds to this.

If the throat hit is too strong, drop your nic level. Some all-VG (vegetable glycerin) juices lack throat hit, but if they're at 2.4 mg, it's still gonna hit hard. You *will* know if the nicotine strength is too strong for you.

I used 2.4 for two years, then dropped to 1.8 recently. I use cartomizers and cartomizer tanks. They are an old-school way of doing things. If you're interested in rebuildables, you're going to HAVE to drop your nic strength. There is no way around that. The amount of vapor you will get from rebuildables will make up for any lack of throat hit.

I've encountered one person who desired throat hit but didn't want to increase their nic level or switch to PG heavy liquids. Eh. In that case, I said good luck.

The amount of nic you use would have me worshipping the porcelain goddess. :D I always stay at or below 10mg, but I gotta have TH or it's just not satisfying -- so I stay at about 75% PG.

I agree that some techniques are better for TH than others; I have to practice all different ways throughout the day, because I start the day wanting not so much TH, or it makes me cough; later, I need all the TH I can get. I agree that rebuildables provide much better TH than probably anything else, but I've never noticed any difference in how 10mg "feels" whether I vape it in a cartotank or in a Kayfun. I don't even notice that much difference from my dripper, but I build my dripper's coils to the same 1.8 that I build my kayfuns.

Andria

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
The world is a many and voluminous place. I vape 1.8 in carto tanks every day, but when I hit my friends rebuildables, I cough like a plague victim. The heat burns my lips too. I hit hard and fast but I'm just not used to it. A .25 dripper is just not for me. Back in the day, we had nary a rebuildable nor a kayfun. So dealing with 1.8 or even 2.4 wasn't a big deal.

What people constantly forget, before a year ago, before this whole rebuildable craze took hold, things were a little bit easier. I don't know. Maybe they were just as hard. But we didn't have as many crazy factors back then than we do know. Air flow. Coil gauge. Builds. It is cool in that it advances certain things, but to what end? I can only hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread