Throat hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrgoe

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
Hello everyone, I switched from smoking to vaping 16 months ago. I thought my craving for throat hits would go away after 6 months but I stil enjoy and need them. I would like to drop my nicotine level and keep the throat hit. I can only vape 100% VG and use an ijoy elf tank with aspire .7 coils at 24 MG nicotine. Any suggestions?

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Get a tank that's built for throat hit, like an FeV clone or the siren 2. They're rebuildables and you can build for more or less throat hit.

Nicotine salts have less of a throat hit so I guess that wouldn't help ;)

What I linked is salts, but salts engineered specifically to ADD throat hit. What I don't know is if it is more than freebase nic, or just more than standard salts, but for a $2.00 sample it might be worth a try.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Aaah I see, I skipped right over that part :oops:

There's also a capsaicin juice additive to increase throat hit but I never tried.

Not sure I would want to vape pepper spray, which is essentially what liquid capsaicin is. Depending on concentration, it would only take a very tiny bit. It would definitely add TH though, and tongue hit, lip hit, and maybe even nose and eye hit too.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
It's not pure capsaicin, it's an additive made for vaping. You have it in the US as well
Capsicum HEAT by Flavor West
Doesn't seem to be very popular though, don't know why
Kappa.png

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It's not pure capsaicin, it's an additive made for vaping. You have it in the US as well
Capsicum HEAT by Flavor West
Doesn't seem to be very popular though, don't know why
Kappa.png

Apparently it is pure capasaicin. From their own page:
Use Capiscum Heat to spice up your favorite DIY e-liquid recipe by adding heat (depending on the mixture, anywhere from mild to scorching). Capiscum Heat is the real thing, derived from the American pepper plant, so take care you don't go on a taste adventure and never return. Scoville heat units (SHU) 15,000,000.

According the the Scoville Scale that is pure capasaicin. More than 3x as strong as Pepper Spray.

scoville-heat-units1.jpg

I eat habanero peppers on a semi-regular basis, and I have accidentally rubbed my eye or nose after handling them, so I know how it feels. I can tell you I wouldn't want anything to do with inhaling that stuff. Not even diluted. At the concentration it comes in, it would likely cause chemical burns on your skin if you spilled just a few drops on you. If you accidentally mixed it too strong, it might even cause chemical burns in your throat and lungs. If someone tried to vape it straight (or even drink it straight) it would probably kill them. I can't believe that is even on the market as something to vape.

Now as I do love to eat spicy things, I may get some to add to various food, like chili, hot sauce, fajita marinade, etc. So I do thank you for pointing out this exists.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Making me :oops: twice in one thread so.... shame on you? :D
What we have here as an additive for eliquid is about 500000 Scoville, I didn't care to read the text on that page I linked assuming it would be similar :rolleyes:
Pure capsaicin seems just overkill for eliquid, a dilution would surely be easier (and safer) to handle.
Really makes you want to put pants on when mixing :lol:

• Agree
Reactions: ScottP

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Up PG (if you can tolerate it). Menthols seem to add a bit of a throat hit, from what I've experienced (albeit limited). I think trying that nicotine (especially for the price) may well be worth it, if it genuinely does what it says it does. The problem will lie in the fact that no matter what nicotine you are using, if you use less, the throat hit will diminish and need to be replaced with something else. I know there are additives (not just capuchin) that can increase throat hit, but I've never tried any.

I use very NOT harsh, 18 m.g. ml nic salts and get 9 throat hit, although I've never really been after one, it's actually not something I miss, but my entire respiratory system was ON FIRE when I switched to vaping. Since I'm also fairly PG sensitive, it's probably for the best that I don't desire much throat hit, as I imagine trying to get one would be quite difficult.

Good luck with it though, I think there will be things you can do that will improve your throat hit experience, it's just going to be a matter of experimentation until you find something that makes you happy. Unless you are in a huge rush to decrease, I might consider keeping the nic the same until you find another mix you like just as well, so you don't feel that you are "missing out" on anything in the meantime.

Best of luck!

Anna

Reactions: Snicks

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Been vaping rebuildable rta's for 6 years and vaping 24mg nic since I started. While I do think there are a few things that increase TH, they are minimal imo. I'm a big TH junky and even 18mg is a bit to smooth for me. I have tried more pg, more power, contact vs spaced, lower or higher coils, smaller coils, lower ohms, etc and maybe those if done just right can maybe make a 20mg juice feel like 24, but that's about all . Imo, you just cannot lower nic without losing TH. I will never lower my nic, because of this reason, cause I just enjoy that major thump to much. I do love my smaller chambered rtas, for they do provide a slightly warmer vape

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Been vaping rebuildable rta's for 6 years and vaping 24mg nic since I started. While I do think there are a few things that increase TH, they are minimal imo. I'm a big TH junky and even 18mg is a bit to smooth for me. I have tried more pg, more power, contact vs spaced, lower or higher coils, smaller coils, lower ohms, etc and maybe those if done just right can maybe make a 20mg juice feel like 24, but that's about all . Imo, you just cannot lower nic without losing TH. I will never lower my nic, because of this reason, cause I just enjoy that major thump to much. I do love my smaller chambered rtas, for they do provide a slightly warmer vape

There are certain juice/device combinations that I enjoy this way, mostly tobacco. Don't particularly prefer this, but I've found that some (arguably most) synthetic finish RDA's like the 454 (authentic and clone) tend to present the effect of a drier vape, although through the wetness of density…you need to keep up flavor. A tight smaller Ø than required with the power of say parallels will give you the heat and density output. It's faster convection which is what the vertical 454 has plenty of. Found I can replicate this in thin wall atty's, alum and alum finishes like the Patriot's. In other words, a high heat with plenty of fast production.

Don't know if you've observed this vap but it's preferable to going multi-wire high mass with the attendant exaggeration of vapor diffusion which to me merely mutes the flavor or accents.

Certain caramels and toasted almonds can also add to this effect (which adds splendidly with tab's). Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the chemistry may try to explain.

Good luck. :)

p.s. I'd add that some folks have high sensitivity to cayenne pepper. So it's not a universal drop in solution.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
There are certain juice/device combinations that I enjoy this way, mostly tobacco. Don't particularly prefer this, but I've found that some (arguably most) synthetic finish RDA's like the 454 (authentic and clone) tend to present the effect of a drier vape, although through the wetness of density…you need to keep up flavor. A tight smaller Ø than required with the power of say parallels will give you the heat and density output. It's faster convection which is what the vertical 454 has plenty of. Found I can replicate this in thin wall atty's, alum and alum finishes like the Patriot's. In other words, a high heat with plenty of fast production.

Don't know if you've observed this vap but it's preferable than going multi-wire high mass with the attendant exaggeration of diffusion which to me merely mutes the flavor or accents.

Certain caramels and toasted almonds can also add to this effect (which adds splendidly with tab's). Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the chemistry may try to explain.

p.s. I'd add that some folks have high sensitivity to cayenne pepper. So it's not a universal drop in solution.

I can picture what your saying, but haven't had the opportunity to witness first hand, mainly because I don't know if I have ever vaped a tank like configuration like that. Honestly I've never even thought about how different, maybe less insulated tank materials may differ the vape and aluminum definitely seems like it would make for a possible robust vape...

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I can picture what your saying, but haven't had the opportunity to witness first hand, mainly because I don't know if I have ever vaped a tank like configuration like that. Honestly I've never even thought about how different, maybe less insulated tank materials may differ the vape and aluminum definitely seems like it would make for a possible robust vape...

Another aspect to bear in mind is alkalinity. Throwing a recipe or finished juice to the pH high side can produce some of the kick you're referring to in moderation. Too much and it starts to resemble the textured taste sensation of a bad circuit (acrid, bitter). It's a good idea to consider the modifying effect of any additive with respect to any favorable impact on flavor or throat hit; as well, with concern as to the potential increase in nicotine uptake as suggested by this summary…

Methods
The present study compared nicotine absorption from a single unflavored referent ST product (pH 7.7) that was flavored with a low level of wintergreen (2 mg/g) and the pH was amended to either high (8.3) or low (5.4) pH with sodium carbonate or citric acid, respectively.

Nicotine Absorption from Smokeless Tobacco Modified to Adjust pH

Conversely lowering pH slightly can impressively smooth the vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread