Travel and Vaping Tips and advice for flying with PV's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I'm traveling this weekend (flying) and I haven't flown since I started vaping.

Are there any new rules? Or does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice?

One note: I will be visiting family (heavy smokers) and am taking a lot of juice, hardware, etc so they can sample and try my equipment. I CANNOT miss this flight (it's a funeral) and I may not be able to leave anything behind. So please, ANY advice is greatly appreciated!

TIA!!

sfkid

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
San Francisco
I'm traveling this weekend (flying) and I haven't flown since I started vaping.

Are there any new rules? Or does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice?

One note: I will be visiting family (heavy smokers) and am taking a lot of juice, hardware, etc so they can sample and try my equipment. I CANNOT miss this flight (it's a funeral) and I may not be able to leave anything behind. So please, ANY advice is greatly appreciated!

TIA!!

Check out the ecf section on travel and ecig: Travel and E-Cig

Lots of posts that will help you get a grip.

Also there is a great post on TSA and ecigs as well that is a must read if you want to learn more about traveling with ecigs and the rules: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/travel-e-cig/35138-tsa-ecig-faq.html

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Thanks for the links and things. I"ve been trying to find info, but there seems to be very little on the TSA site, or the Delta flight (the airline I'll be flying) The ONLY thing I could find yesterday, was a snippet that said 'electronic cigs were not allowed to be used on board'.
It didn't mention anything about how to carry or package. :p
I've never had a problem going through the checkpoint (when dropping/picking up my minor child) but I haven't flown with a large amount of vaping supplies. I hope to ship them in my suitcase, and only carry on my immediate needs, but I don't want anything to get confiscated because of ignorance. I'm HOPING they are more informed than some of these earlier posting dates (09, etc.).. now that it's 2011.

XDoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
Casper, WY
I've flown with mine several times and only ever been stopped once. They called for a bag check, pulled out my Chuck and asked what it was. I explained that it is an electronic cigarette. The guy said he'd never seen one that big, asked how it worked, I showed him, he told me it was cool and let me go.

Its no big deal. Just be prepared to explain if you have to. Even if they don't know exactly what they're looking at, most everyone knows that electronic cigarettes exist. It is 100% ok to carry it on. Hell, I stealth vaped an old DSE901 all the way to Vegas a few months back. Just put a pen cap over the LED and no one was the wiser.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
LBug, you are allowed to take per passenger one quart sized ziplock bag of liquids on board in your carryon. Bottle sizes in the bag can be no larger than 3.4oz (100 ml) You will be be putting that ziplock bag in the tray when you go through security. Larger bottles or more liquid than fits in the ziplock bag needs to go in your checked luggage where they will be fine. Carry on board in your carryon all batteries with you. Hate to be quoted for not being specifically correct so I'm not going to specify but "most" of your e-cig batteries can NOT be put in your checked luggage or you do run the risk if they find them of having them confiscated. You do not have to put your batteries in the tray as you go through security. When they scan your carryon they may or they may not stop and do an actual look through of your carryon. That's really a hit and miss thing. If they do they will ask what they are and you just need to tell them electronic cigarettes. They will not have a problem once they check them out IF they choose to do so. We flew Delta in Feb with no problems. When flying to LA I did choose to put the case I had my batteries in in the tray that went throught the scanner. They did stop and take a look through the small bag and all was fine. Flying home from Fort Lauderdale I didn't choose to put my batts in the tray and no one ever said a word to me. As I said before, it really is a hit and miss thing if they will decide to check out what you have, but either way you will be just fine.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
No, you won't look suspicous. You may have a few more than they normally see, but you'll be fine. My trip was for three weeks where I would not have a chance to get anything e-cig IF I ran into a problem so I had lots of batts, attys, cartos, chargers, and juice with me and no problems at all. You'll be just fine. (((hug)))

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
I would NOT put all of your liquids in your checked luggage, if they question it they will take it. In your carry on you are there to explain what it is, though I've never had any of the liquids questioned. I've had my ProVari swabbed, asked what my ego battery is, and that's it.

As many of us have posted in the various other threads on this subject, it's quite simple. Put all liquids in the zip-lock back (as the rules state). Put all your batteries in your bag (I put them in a separate zip-lock bag and put it in my laptop case). That's it, if they ask, be polite and explain. I haven't had a problem yet, and I fly all over the world.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Thanks for all the help! I leave in an hour and have fretted about it for days. I have almost as much ecig stuff as clothing! (a few kits, and multiple everything)

If I loose the juice, it's not a big deal.. I'd be irked, but I will have enough other things (cartos, etc) I *should* be able to get by. As long as I can introduce the fam to some quality product, and not just gas/mall junk.

Thanks again, yall are great :)

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Made it through the scanner with my carry on. Had about half my juice, all the bats, all the kits, and 1/3 of the cartos. The rest I sent checked.

They did stop and pull out my bag of juice and look at it closely. But I had followed all directions to a T. It was even labelled and taped and included an info card. So they let it pass, but they ran my boots through twice!!

Hehehe. Guess I look menacing. :p me and my fou-fou daisies... just like the poor elderly man in a wheel chair that practically got strip searched.

Sent from my pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread