Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I will say though that after trying out an IBTanked and a Taifun GT that I have some Protanks (1, 2 and 3) and iClear30's that will never again see the light of day or a drop of juice. The vapor and taste from the IBTanked and Taifun are so totally different from what I was getting from the Protank's it was like I was vaping a different juice. Absolutely no comparison.
Yeah, but a Protank with a decent coil and a cotton wicking is a totally different animal than a Protank with a stock head as well. Since I learned how to do that, I prefer it to to a carto in a tank.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing IBT here -- a carto is a carto, no matter what kind of tank it's in. Unfortunately, IBT has no control over the quality of the cartos that are available and they currently seem even more hit-or-miss than stock Protank coils. Anyway, I intend to revive my IBTs as soon as my Sophia arrives (and I intend to wick it with cotton too).

Last edited:

HumbleTex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Texas
In my case it is the opposite.

Not surprising at all really. I have a feeling that this subject is sort of like arguing about e-juice flavors. Round up 100 people that've tried the juice in question and a small percentage will think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, a much larger percentage will be slightly positive to slightly negative and another small percentage will think you have no taste buds.

/shrug

It is what it is when you discuss subjective things. It's my opinion vs. yours and neither one of us is "right" to a 3rd person.

HumbleTex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Texas
Yeah, but a Protank with a decent coil and a cotton wicking is a totally different animal than a Protank with a stock head as well. Since I learned how to do that, I prefer it to to a carto in a tank.

Ahhh .. ya I'd imagine it would be but then you're really just using it as a tank and have turned it into cheap rebuildable. Nothing wrong with that but I just never saw the point. I looked at it as a system that didn't gurgle or leak, didn't give my juice a plastic flavor and was pretty solid. In other words it was cheap, reliable and conveinent.

Given that I can buy a 5 pack of coils for $7-8 bucks and that 5 pack will last 7-1/2 to 10 weeks I just never saw the point in rebuilding them. If I had they'd have been cheaper, possibly less reliable and a lot less conveinent for me but I get why others might feel differently. I like to tinker with stuff as well which is why I bought a Taifun.

The IBT, for me, has replaced Protanks for conveinence but then again I used carto's for a long, long time so they're hands down what I'm most familiar with. When I get the urge to tinker I break out the Taifun and mess around with coils and wicks.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ahhh .. ya I'd imagine it would be but then you're really just using it as a tank and have turned it into cheap rebuildable. Nothing wrong with that but I just never saw the point. [...] Given that I can buy a 5 pack of coils for $7-8 bucks and that 5 pack will last 7-1/2 to 10 weeks I just never saw the point in rebuilding them. If I had they'd have been cheaper, possibly less reliable and a lot less conveinent for me but I get why others might feel differently. I like to tinker with stuff as well which is why I bought a Taifun.
The point is to have something smaller than your typical rebuildable tanks that performs almost as well. I have some devices that on which a 22-23mm Kayfun, Squape or Taifun would look pretty silly. For example, I love my Vaporshark DNA, but anything wider than 19mm looks really awkward on it, so it's currently wearing an Aerotank. There are also times when I still like to use my iTaste VV V3. I use mini PT2's on it.

These tanks also have another benefit over traditional rebuildables: Because the heads are so cheap, you can rebuild them in advance and carry spares, ready to pop in should it become necessary or desirable to do that. With a traditional rebuildable, spare build decks tend to be expensive (if you can get them at all) and are much bulkier.

Anyway, it wasn't long ago that I too was skeptical that rebuilding Kanger heads was worthwhile. But it is, and for me at least, it isn't about saving money. ;)

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
Maybe I'm just lucky but I have a PT2, a PT3, and 3 mini PT2's and have no issues with any of them. No gurgle, no leak (occasional TINY bit of liquid just on the connector of the Provari). Coils have been lasting 1-2 weeks just with removing and soaking after every couple fills and I use them till the liquid is gone- no topping off... am I in the minority having a positive experience here?

no you aren't....it's just that the people that have PT's and it works for them don't often complain about them, ask questions about them, gripe about them ... those would also be the people that 'defend' the PT's ... simply because it works for them right out of box with no issues

Aero Tank is issue free (that's my experience, been using Kanger tanks for 7 month)
:D

wjosephsimmons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
City of Angels
I have always loved protanks,,but yeah kayfun and similar tanks(taifun,russian,etc) are kinda better..flavour wise kayfun wins hands down..but I still use my protanks and one of the reason for me is because I have an itaste vtr...vtr+protank is the most compact,portable and reliable setup that I have.

You should try the VTR and a Protank II with an Kanger Aerotank base/airflow control valve on it. It looks/fits better than the stock PT base, and the ability to adjust the draw makes it just fantastic.:)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ahhh .. ya I'd imagine it would be but then you're really just using it as a tank and have turned it into cheap rebuildable. Nothing wrong with that but I just never saw the point. I looked at it as a system that didn't gurgle or leak, didn't give my juice a plastic flavor and was pretty solid. In other words it was cheap, reliable and conveinent.

Given that I can buy a 5 pack of coils for $7-8 bucks and that 5 pack will last 7-1/2 to 10 weeks I just never saw the point in rebuilding them. If I had they'd have been cheaper, possibly less reliable and a lot less conveinent for me but I get why others might feel differently. I like to tinker with stuff as well which is why I bought a Taifun.

The IBT, for me, has replaced Protanks for conveinence but then again I used carto's for a long, long time so they're hands down what I'm most familiar with. When I get the urge to tinker I break out the Taifun and mess around with coils and wicks.

Do you know about the Sophia?
Rebuildable atomizer the same shape as a cartomizer and fits in a carto tank.
Since you already use cartos and a rebuildable Taifun, have a look at it.
You can twist it closed too, to close off the holes so it won't leak when you're not using it.

mr.motivapr

Jan 13, 2014
UK
Since ordering 2 of the Kanger Protank 3's, Kanker is now dead to me.

Nothing but garbage, the constant flooding / leaking and the airy draw make these a big no no for me.

The Iclear 30 is a much better tank IMO, been using one for 3 weeks, still same coil I started with.

Never had a single dry hit, nor a leak, will stick with this until I invest in a decent Genesis RBA at the end of the month!

guitarmafia

Sep 12, 2013
Lucknow, India
You should try the VTR and a Protank II with an Kanger Aerotank base/airflow control valve on it. It looks/fits better than the stock PT base, and the ability to adjust the draw makes it just fantastic.:)

I am trying to get a hold of an aerotank base...but they are sold out on most of the websites..I have heard good things about the areotank..

Wyld729

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Portage Ind

I'm actually using this same set up! Except I rebuild with micro coil and cotton wick!!

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
protans are a pain, finally found a combo that worked well, but when it started getting really low in the tank you have to hold the mod straight up or it will leak and gurgle. as long as its straight up it will vape well. I dont really use them anymore though, lacked flavor, to annoying to deal with, rather use my RBA and RDA.

wjosephsimmons

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
City of Angels
I am trying to get a hold of an aerotank base...but they are sold out on most of the websites..I have heard good things about the areotank..

Just an FYI I received 02/06/14 from My Vapor Store for anyone interested:

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologize for the inconvenience. The Kanger Airflow Control Valve is estimated to be back in stock in 10 - 14 business days. Thank you for your patience.

Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions. Thank you for choosing myvaporstore and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Ben
info@myvaporstore.com

I've been using my Protank 2 for 4 months now and have never had a single problem with it. i started using it right out of the box, as is, without any modifications of any kind. I actually used the same two heads that came with it, for over two months. I just clean, dry burn and then rotate the heads, with every other tank refill. One of the original heads is still going strong after 4 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread