Status
Not open for further replies.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Now we got half ta-ta's hanging out with the tag line "vape with me baby". In the last year we've had the abbreviation for Richard spelled out so that it can only mean the slang for penis, and the S word promenently spelled out as if it did not matter what so ever.

As a member I have a list of banned words a mile deep, and if I posted any of these pics I might be banned myself.

The discussion of the sexualization of vaping is something that should be taken seriously, if this website is to remain above this sort of obscene and needless marketing. I would think that the powers that be would take this into account when accepting advertising copy and would try to influence the advertisers in a manner that would be agreable and edifying for all. Unfortunately any sort of decency or class seems to go out the window when income is involved, and have to ask myself, why am I told to keep to a level of decorum when the advertisers are not. Surely it can't be all about the money? Surely THIS website can do better.

Sincerely,
Randall B.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Sex sells. At least they can't say it's marketed towards children. I'm pretty sure this site uses google or something for its ads. They are selected from a pool by an algorithm, based on your viewing habits; if you're seeing sexy, vape-related ads, they aren't necessarily hand-picked by the forum admins. Maybe you've just been to lots of, um...vape sites, recently. Kidding aside though, for real, you've visited vape sites, you're actually on one right now, google looks at this and goes "'ay yo, show 'em one of them vape ads we got right now," and it's not ECF's fault or Google's fault or anyone's fault but the advertisers that those ads are full of naked ladies and rude vocabulary. Google probably has standards for their ads, I mean you don't want to be showing naked ladies and rude vocabulary to young kids on happy morning fun time dot com, but this forum is technically an adults-only website, so the ads here are probably allowed to get a little racier than they are in other places. But naked ladies and rude vocabulary apparently catch the attention of people who buy vape stuff, so they're likely not gonna stop anytime soon.

I am not seeing advertising.
I have Adblock too, but I turn it off for sites I actually appreciate.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Sex sells. At least they can't say it's marketed towards children. I'm pretty sure this site uses google or something for its ads. They are selected from a pool by an algorithm, based on your viewing habits; if you're seeing sexy, vape-related ads, they aren't necessarily hand-picked by the forum admins. Maybe you've just been to lots of, um...vape sites, recently. Kidding aside though, for real, you've visited vape sites, you're actually on one right now, google looks at this and goes "'ay yo, show 'em one of them vape ads we got right now," and it's not ECF's fault or Google's fault or anyone's fault but the advertisers that those ads are full of naked ladies and rude vocabulary. Google probably has standards for their ads, I mean you don't want to be showing naked ladies and rude vocabulary to young kids on happy morning fun time dot com, but this forum is technically an adults-only website, so the ads here are probably allowed to get a little racier than they are in other places. But naked ladies and rude vocabulary apparently catch the attention of people who buy vape stuff, so they're likely not gonna stop anytime soon.

I did consider this, but I would think that admin has some sort of master control, that would better reflect admins desire for the forum's direction.

Reactions: r055co

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I did consider this, but I would think that admin has some sort of master control, that would better reflect admins desire for the forum's direction.

No, they don't.. it's up to your browsing history and how those sites and/or those types of products advertise...

ECF makes a small income from advertisers which helps pay to run such a large site but that is all, they cannot control the content of the ads themselves.

You can become a supporting member in order to avoid seeing those ads, but that is how vaping sites and manufacturers advertise their wares and ECF has no control over it.

If you prefer not to see them, become a supporting member. If you find them offensive, boycott the companies which advertise in a manner you find offensive and tell them your boycotting and why.

Other than that it's life, sex sells. Heck sex sells Hardees hamburgers for goodness sake. Most commercials these days are sexual in nature and are full of cuss words. Its life in 2018, and not much can be done for it... in time culture will swing the other direction, but they are apparently not to that point yet.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Now we got half ta-ta's hanging out with the tag line "vape with me baby". In the last year we've had the abbreviation for Richard spelled out so that it can only mean the slang for penis, and the S word promenently spelled out as if it did not matter what so ever.

As a member I have a list of banned words a mile deep, and if I posted any of these pics I might be banned myself.

The discussion of the sexualization of vaping is something that should be taken seriously, if this website is to remain above this sort of obscene and needless marketing. I would think that the powers that be would take this into account when accepting advertising copy and would try to influence the advertisers in a manner that would be agreable and edifying for all. Unfortunately any sort of decency or class seems to go out the window when income is involved, and have to ask myself, why am I told to keep to a level of decorum when the advertisers are not. Surely it can't be all about the money? Surely THIS website can do better.

Sincerely,
Randall B.
Do you object to products that have sexualized ads or just vaping? Just curious.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Their desire is to keep running to reach as many vapers as possible, new and experienced. Ad money allows for this. Become a supporting member or use another option to not see the ads.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Now we got half ta-ta's hanging out

I fail to see the problem here ... :?:

Seriously though, as others have already mentioned, this advertising technique is not new nor unique to vaping products. As much as we might like to think otherwise, humans are still driven by primal instincts and as such, advertisers try to use that to their advantage. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be so pervasive. I get your point however, you'd like to think we could represent vaping in a better light but what's acceptable or even desirable varies widely among individuals. These advertisers are mainly trying to cast a wide net at what they consider their 'target' audience.

If the ads offend you, your best bet would be to do as others have suggested; avoid them altogether. I really can't see placing the responsibility of ad screening on a site that, for the most part, provides you with free content.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks folks. Just installed duckduckgo and will ditch chrome as soon as I get things migrated. To be clearer, it wasn't so much the nature of the ads that rubbed me raw, but the double standard they promote.
How is it a double standard? No ads show nude people or cursing, ECF filters nude pics, cursing, and some suggestive sexual content. They do let us keep just enough to keep it fun and entertaining.;)

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks folks. Just installed duckduckgo and will ditch chrome as soon as I get things migrated. To be clearer, it wasn't so much the nature of the ads that rubbed me raw, but the double standard they promote.

You might like to give the rules a go...

This site is huge, and provides you "free" content - however, its content that costs money, as such, the ads are what is paying for the valuable information you read...

The valuable information includes the latest sales and deals, chances to win free vape gear, (I've won around a thousand dollars worth of free stuff here over the years), information on battery safety, access to help with technological problems you may run into, help with any vaping topic imaginable.

If you wish to avoid paying for your free content via the ads, then you will enjoy checking out the other option and that is to become a supporting member - which isn't much all things considered.

In short, it's against forum rules, should I remember correctly, to use an ad blocker as it costs real money to keep the site up and running..

Just my two cents..

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
These are the only pics and ads I see on this site.
I feel ripped off. I like ta-tas

• Winner
Reactions: ShamrockPat

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You might like to give the rules a go...

This site is huge, and provides you "free" content - however, its content that costs money, as such, the ads are what is paying for the valuable information you read...

The valuable information includes the latest sales and deals, chances to win free vape gear, (I've won around a thousand dollars worth of free stuff here over the years), information on battery safety, access to help with technological problems you may run into, help with any vaping topic imaginable.

If you wish to avoid paying for your free content via the ads, then you will enjoy checking out the other option and that is to become a supporting member - which isn't much all things considered.

In short, it's against forum rules, should I remember correctly, to use an ad blocker as it costs real money to keep the site up and running..

Just my two cents..
They can't force us to not use blockers just ask that we don't. It is my understanding that we shouldn't advertise or discuss blockers except in passing.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
How is it a double standard? No ads show nude people or cursing, ECF filters nude pics, cursing, and some suggestive sexual content. They do let us keep just enough to keep it fun and entertaining.;)

I can't remember what ad it was. But a couple of months ago the s word was spelled out in bold letters, so yes. Iv seen cursing in the ads. I know the whole concept of double standards are open for interpretation, but it seemed over the top at the time.

Perhaps I have more control then i know about. I recently changed from using a win 8 puter to a android 8 cell, so I will make some changes as required as the politics of the root problem (relying on Google for revenue) just make me nauseous.

Cheers.

Reactions: Letitia

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
They can't force us to not use blockers just ask that we don't. It is my understanding that we shouldn't advertise or discuss blockers except in passing.

It's been a while but I've spoken to @Oliver on the topic, and sure, he'll never know if someone runs ad block, but the site as a whole often runs on courtesy.. and Oliver does at the least ask us to either not run an ad block or become a supporting member..

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
These are the only pics and ads I see on this site.
I feel ripped off. I like ta-tas

The internets is full of ta-tas, Google probably picked them up from my news feed.
Fact is, most vaping chicks, (not all not all, but most), the style of the advert and how it is portrayed, leave something to be desired. I might have a completly different outlook if they were to use a 45yo redhead who's taken care of herself.

I can't stand Google, yet failed to realize I had been using it for far too long.

And if the largest vaping forum on the net is not using an advertising dept in its search for supporting revenue and is instead leaving it up entirely to Google? Well, that would seem to be a huge waste of such a great asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread