Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The internets is full of ta-tas, Google probably picked them up from my news feed.
Fact is, most vaping chicks, (not all not all, but most), the style of the advert and how it is portrayed, leave something to be desired. I might have a completly different outlook if they were to use a 45yo redhead who's taken care of herself.

I can't stand Google, yet failed to realize I had been using it for far too long.

And if the largest vaping forum on the net is not using an advertising dept in its search for supporting revenue and is instead leaving it up entirely to Google? Well, that would seem to be a huge waste of such a great asset.
Or they are investing their time and funding in forum content which is why we are all here for to begin with.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Generally, we have no control over some of the ads that are shown. If it's an ECF supplier, then yes, we do have control over what they display. However, some of the advertising networks we use have total control over what is displayed. All we can do is go back to the network and complain about a specific advert. In this case, there's really nothing to be outraged about and there is no double standard.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So the complaint is that sexualized ads should be controlled. Do I hear the sounds of 1975 in the background? Nope. 1875? This argument has been made and has failed for almost as long as there have been newspapers

Your issue is not with ecf it’s with Maddison Avenue. And it’s one you will lose. Badly. Not only is there a fantastic amount of money behind such advertising, but it generally turns into an affront on women’s rights to boot. It’s one of the biggest of losers. Sex sells and advertisers will use the maximum of whatever is available to them to sell their product. Women like to dress however the hell they feel like and will happily gut you over it.
You may be right or you may be wrong but this is the way it is:
There are three options: bemoan the failure of society to the wailing wind as has been done for well over a hundred years, move to a place like Saudi Arabia that has censorship laws, Or join some sort of (more?) repressive religious cult and never look at the outside world again. That’s literally all you got.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Generally, we have no control over some of the ads that are shown. If it's an ECF supplier, then yes, we do have control over what they display. However, some of the advertising networks we use have total control over what is displayed. All we can do is go back to the network and complain about a specific advert. In this case, there's really nothing to be outraged about and there is no double standard.

Respectfully, there does seem to be a double standard. In the screenshot below, taken today, there is clearly a word used in an ad that would be filtered if any member used it. I'll type it here: bull.....

See? It got filtered.

I'm a big boy and can handle it, and also realize that I am a guest here and only allowed to be here due to the generosity of the site owner, and must follow the rules in his house. I am cool with that - just illustrating what the OP is referring to.

Screenshot 2018-07-14 at 8.47.06 AM.png

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Respectfully, there does seem to be a double standard. In the screenshot below, taken today, there is clearly a word used in an ad that would be filtered if any member used it. I'll type it here: bull.....

See? It got filtered.

I'm a big boy and can handle it, and also realize that I am a guest here and only allowed to be here due to the generosity of the site owner, and must follow the rules in his house. I am cool with that - just illustrating what the OP is referring to.

View attachment 754121
100% agree!
That is bull....!
Good for the Sheep that CONTRIBUTE freely ALL the content on the site.
If you pay the MAN, the rules are...flexible. (no banning of vendors that "put out")

BaaBaabite me
I

Ublock Origin for the win

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

See? It got filtered.

View attachment 754121
I reiterate my previous statement.

Reactions: Letitia

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I reiterate my previous statement.

I'm not disagreeing. In fact I accept the fact that money talks, and ECF can do whatever they want to do regarding censorship of members and the rules. I am OK with that. I get it.

All I was pointing out was that there IS INDEED a double standard after a moderator claimed there wasn't. Clearly Broke Dick is paying the bills and gets a pass, but if I deliberately attempt to bypass the swear filter with the same word, I risk getting banned. At a minimum I would expect a warning.

Again - I completely understand that this isn't a democracy and I am a guest here, and I accept the terms of the board in full - just sharing proof of the non-existent double standard.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm not disagreeing. In fact I accept the fact that money talks, and ECF can do whatever they want to do regarding censorship of members and the rules. I am OK with that. I get it.

All I was pointing out was that there IS INDEED a double standard after a moderator claimed there wasn't. Clearly Broke Dick is paying the bills and gets a pass, but if I deliberately attempt to bypass the swear filter with the same word, I risk getting banned. At a minimum I would expect a warning.

Again - I completely understand that this isn't a democracy and I am a guest here, and I accept the terms of the board in full - just sharing proof of the non-existent double standard.
If there is a double standard it is that ecf doesn’t have the equipment to mechanically search gifs for text content. You can make a foul gif too actually. It will probably be complained about by other members and then taken down the same as an ad. Easy peasy

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Broke Dick isn't a forum supplier

Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum

Those are advertisements based in Google Adsense or other advertising venue..

As such, Oliver has no control over them..

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Broke Dick isn't a forum supplier

Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum

Those are advertisements based in Google Adsense or other advertising venue..

As such, Oliver has no control over them..

So Broke Dick gets to have ads with links to their website for free?...and at one of the largest e-cig websites on the planet, with thousands of hits per day...how nice of ECF to allow that, and for nothing in return.

OK, fair enough. But then please explain this:

If the ads are driven by Google and based on the user's browsing history - why are all of the ads for vape related products only? If ECF (or any other site) cannot control the ads, why am I not seeing ads for any of the other stuff I browse or buy? I have a lot of other hobbies, and don't see those ads here.

Color me ignorant if you like, but there seems to be some way to filter the ad content.

I get that Oliver cannot control the ads - because he is getting revenue to allow them and forfeiting control. To say that he absolutely cannot control the ads - well I don't think that is entirely true.

Again - I don't care. This is not an argument for or against any particular ad content. It just seems to me that if you really want to control the ads on YOUR site, you can. You may have to look for another way to keep the lights on, but you certainly can reject the ads in their entirety, from the source.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
So Broke Dick gets to have ads with links to their website for free?...and at one of the largest e-cig websites on the planet, with thousands of hits per day...how nice of ECF to allow that, and for nothing in return.

OK, fair enough. But then please explain this:

If the ads are driven by Google and based on the user's browsing history - why are all of the ads for vape related products only? If ECF (or any other site) cannot control the ads, why am I not seeing ads for any of the other stuff I browse or buy? I have a lot of other hobbies, and don't see those ads here.

Color me ignorant if you like, but there seems to be some way to filter the ad content.

Advertising runs through a third party. The third party (such as Google) gets paid to run ads by companies like Broke Dick, then the third party turns around and pays people like ECF for the ad space - after taking their cut of course.

As for why the ads are all vape related, it's because your on a vaping website.. obviously, this is your area of interest.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but the third party might tie vaping ads into vaping discussion sites, RC ads in with RC discussion boards etc. OR, certain sites like ECF might have an option to request the advertisements tie-in to the site.. I'm not sure on those points, but it makes sense.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Google Adsense is who pays ECF for the advertising space, and they also run the ads you see... Broke Dick or other retailers pay Google for the advertising space.

As for why the ads are all vape related, it's because your on a vaping website.. obviously, this is your area of interest.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but Google might tie vaping ads into vaping discussion sites, RC ads in with RC discussion boards etc. OR, certain sites like ECF might have an option to request the advertisements tie-in to the site.. I'm not sure on those points, but it makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

I get that when you enter an agreement to allow the ads that you accept the entire package, and that a filter cannot intercept an "offensive" graphic (gif, tif, jpg, etc). I also get that to survive a site must enter agreements to pay the bills, to keep the site open for freeloading knuckleheads like me.

I'm obviously in over my head on this subject, and probably posted too much already, so I'm out (before the lock).

Thanks for putting up with me :)

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

See? It got filtered.

However, if you used it in an image like the advertisement did, it would go through with no filtering. We're good, but we don't have the ability to read the text in an image and filter based on that. Yet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread