Titan 510 - Not Impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennytalls

Oct 27, 2009
Ok, so, I've tried a couple of e-cigs before, but wasn't over keen on them. Purely because there was no throat kick and they both tasted like dry ice.

So, after reading this forum for a month or so, I opted to go for the 510. As this has great reviews and people claim it has a throat kick (Which was exactly what I needed).

So, I get my 510 through the post. All excited, opened it up, charged the battery (light went green in about 15 minutes which I thought odd - Expected to wait a couple of hours at least).. Battery update - Battery lasted about 20 minutes, so clearly the charger is faulty as it didn't fully charge....

So, I put it all together ... And give it a go....

Now, I'm new to vaping, and there is probably a right and wrong way to do it ... Therefore, I tried it all different ways .... A draw just like I would a cigarette, which clearly isn't the way, a longer draw, not bad, then a slow draw ...

Now, the slow draw was much better, but hey, where is the kick? ... And why am I still tasting dry ice? I mean sure, I don't expect the kind of kick a real smoke gives you, but hey, just a twinge of a kick would be something ... But no, nothing!

I've tried every way I know to try and get this so called 'Kick' from the 510 ... But nothing ... Which makes this product no better than a regular e-cig for me ....

So, onto the taste .... I'd bought some liquid, followed the instruction video from the nice chap from east london and away I go ...

Well, I'd got the coconut, so I'm thinking if this tastes remotely like coconut I'm going to be happy ..... Low and behold ... DRY ICE!!!!!

Does that dry ice EVER go away?

In conclusion ..... The TECC 510 doesn't impress me in the slightest ... Zero throat kick, flavour doesn't seem to work and the dry ice taste doesn't go away .... Wish I hadn't bothered ... I'm off for a smoke to ease the disappointment.

If there is something I'm doing wrong, or there's some special way of getting these things working properly, then I'm all ears.

p.s. Atomizer likes to get warm also .... I say warm, what I mean is.. Man that's hot

Deschain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
England
Hi Jenny, charge the cell for several hours...I've been using battery chargers for years, those green lights tell lies! :mad:

Blow out your atty (from the threaded battery end) onto a paper towel to remove the nasty primer fluid (which is where the crappy taste is coming from), drip two drops of e-juice onto the atty to prime it and try again. (the primer taste will hang around for a day or two IME), the atty also takes a few days to break in and start producing proper vapour.

The 510 is the only PV I've ever used, it is a different beast after proper set up and a couple of days of use...give it a chance. :)

NewJoizy

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
510s are over hyped, sure they have great vapor but everything else about them suck ..., the battery life in particular is the worse thing about them! Like you said! They last only 20 mins on full charge! I wonder if I have a faulty charger or battery, I got them from e-smokey treats so i dunno.

The fiddling with the atty,dripping, drop, spill,mess,refilling,juice in your mouth,usb passthrough exploding, too much of a hassle. Stick with cartomizers imo.

Grneyes908

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Perkinston, Mississippi
I feel the same. My bf has the 401 and I like it better. I am new to vaping and I kept feeling like I was not doing it right. I really dont get a throat hit or the vape. I am going through batteries left and right. I just dont get that satisfaction from it. I am constantly hitting it. We have been experimenting between his 401 and my 510 and oh lord the difference .

At first we thought it might have been the juice I was using. I was a menthol smoker and I just was not able to find one I liked. I got the Nu port from Nhaler -- fell in love-- but I was not getting really any vapor or throat hit-- Once we put it on his 401-- it was awesome.

We have decided to try the sideshow-- so I will have to let you know if its any better. I am sure praying it is because I really dont know how much longer I can hold out. I haven't touched analogs since Tuesday but I am starting to go crazy !!!lol

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Primer is just e-liquid... may be a unpleasant taste. Make sure you put a drop or two on your atty each time you refill. New atomizers sometimes benefit from soaking a bit in liquid (about 4 drops on the atty bridge). The throat hit comes from higher nic. levels... if you use zero or low, you won't get that unless you go with a flavor that naturally has it. I use menthol in a 510 for a throat hit. Some of the tobacco flavors such as cuban cigar also will give you more of a throat hit. Some people put a drop or two of vodka in a flavor for a throat kick. These will NEVER give you a raw throat hit that a ciggy did... you'll get where you find your niche with a flavor.

Battery life sucks, so I bought the Mega Power bats from Totally Wicked. At least 4 hours, and made the 510 my go to e-cig to carry about. Their 5 pack is reasonable and they'll have another sale in December.

I also bought battery mods. A battery modification unit with a 3.7v battery (which initially charges to 4.2v) will give you fab vapor and huge battery life depending on what kind of battery it runs on and what the milliampere hours (mAh) are) so they usually run 7 hours to several days). THE way to go with any model.

Mikie Likes It

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I think its just the liquid you have. Try getting double strength double flavor Kiwi or RY4 from Myfreedomsmokes.com

I am the same way with the dry ice, I hate it. Those two are 100% not going to give you that taste. With double the flavor and 24mg, it gives a great throat kick, and satisfying flavor and feel.

(This is the only fluid I will vape with my 510) For best flavor, I suggest getting a high voltage device and using an 801 atomizer. (I use a Prodigy and a GG to switch back and forth when cooling down between vapes :)

Last edited:

jennytalls

Oct 27, 2009
I've got the 18mg Coconut liquid ... The idea is to quit smoking right? So the lower I go the less hit I get? What's the point in that?

I'm using this merely as a way of quitting in the long run, not as a hobbie, like some seem to on here ;o) .. I just need everything to run smooth for 3 months and then the e-cig can sit in a drawer just in case ....

I thought long and hard about which e-cig to buy and I opted for this because it seemed 80% recommended them ... Although I hate that the batteries are useless and cost a fortune to replace. .... Still, it may be early days, but if how it is now is anything to go by, then I'm not going to be pleased ... I thought I'd found a way to finally quit the analogues and not put on the 3 stone I usually do (Although, if I was stateside, then I'd never quit ... Marlboro lights are awesome ... They're the only cigarette where I've enjoyed EVERY one I've smoked ;o))

Thanks for the advice though guys, it's really good to know you guys are here ;o)

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
I don't mean to scare people.. but the big reason why primer usually has a metallic taste is because it actually has metal dust/power in it. Not harmful levels by any means.. but it's there.

Think about the manufacturing process for atomizers. Nichrome wire.. metal mesh.. hand assembly. There are microscopic levels of metal "dust" left over the the manufacturing processes of the wire and the mesh and the atomizer machined inserts... and the primer holds this in suspension. So you'll get that taste until the primer is burned out.. and will perhaps continue to get it after a refill or so.

Complete rinsing (perhaps multiple times) and re-priming often helps to purge this material.

brownbrown4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2009
San Diego
Ok, so, I've tried a couple of e-cigs before, but wasn't over keen on them. Purely because there was no throat kick and they both tasted like dry ice.

So, after reading this forum for a month or so, I opted to go for the 510. As this has great reviews and people claim it has a throat kick (Which was exactly what I needed).

So, I get my 510 through the post. All excited, opened it up, charged the battery (light went green in about 15 minutes which I thought odd - Expected to wait a couple of hours at least).. Battery update - Battery lasted about 20 minutes, so clearly the charger is faulty as it didn't fully charge....

So, I put it all together ... And give it a go....

Now, I'm new to vaping, and there is probably a right and wrong way to do it ... Therefore, I tried it all different ways .... A draw just like I would a cigarette, which clearly isn't the way, a longer draw, not bad, then a slow draw ...

Now, the slow draw was much better, but hey, where is the kick? ... And why am I still tasting dry ice? I mean sure, I don't expect the kind of kick a real smoke gives you, but hey, just a twinge of a kick would be something ... But no, nothing!

I've tried every way I know to try and get this so called 'Kick' from the 510 ... But nothing ... Which makes this product no better than a regular e-cig for me ....

So, onto the taste .... I'd bought some liquid, followed the instruction video from the nice chap from east london and away I go ...

Well, I'd got the coconut, so I'm thinking if this tastes remotely like coconut I'm going to be happy ..... Low and behold ... DRY ICE!!!!!

Does that dry ice EVER go away?

In conclusion ..... The TECC 510 doesn't impress me in the slightest ... Zero throat kick, flavour doesn't seem to work and the dry ice taste doesn't go away .... Wish I hadn't bothered ... I'm off for a smoke to ease the disappointment.

If there is something I'm doing wrong, or there's some special way of getting these things working properly, then I'm all ears.

p.s. Atomizer likes to get warm also .... I say warm, what I mean is.. Man that's hot

USE THE SEARCH

read the forum... its got everything you need..

jennytalls

Oct 27, 2009
Actually, I've just thought ..... If the throat hit is down to what liquid you use, then what makes the 510 speccial or any e-cig different from the other?

Everyone knows about the 510's battery life, so why not just go buy a regular, well made e-cig, which is half the price, add your juice and you're good to go?

As I said, the 510 doesn't seem any differrent to the other e-cigs I've tried regarding throat hit .... Now I know why ... Had I of know this before I'd have saved myself half the cost and gone with a reputable cheaper solution from a source I won't name as I don't want to look like this post was about promotion, but they have actual shops and not just online retailers.

jennytalls

Oct 27, 2009
USE THE SEARCH

read the forum... its got everything you need..

If you'd have read properly, you'll see that I've been reading the forum for a month or so .... And I've done more searches than you've probably had bapes .... And still I'm here .... With an average product...

Thanks for your informative help though.... I would never have thought to use that feature all by my lonesome ;o)

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Actually, I've just thought ..... If the throat hit is down to what liquid you use, then what makes the 510 speccial or any e-cig different from the other?

Everyone knows about the 510's battery life, so why not just go buy a regular, well made e-cig, which is half the price, add your juice and you're good to go?

As I said, the 510 doesn't seem any differrent to the other e-cigs I've tried regarding throat hit .... Now I know why ... Had I of know this before I'd have saved myself half the cost and gone with a reputable cheaper solution from a source I won't name as I don't want to look like this post was about promotion, but they have actual shops and not just online retailers.

Huh?

The 510 can be purchased for less than virtually any other PV out there. If you are paying more for a 510 than you are for a 901, KR808D-1, Revolver, SideSho, Smoking Everywhere, etc. etc. etc.. then you haven't done your shopping. Most PV's cost 30 to 100% more than the equivalent 510.

The 510 is designed differently than virtually any other PV out there. It has an additional wick system integrated into the bridge that usually allows it to deliver more vapor. It also has a very low atomizer resistance, which usually makes for a hotter vape. That usually correlates to throat and lung hit.

At best.. your post is confusing.

Deschain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
England
Jenny, if you wish to pack in smoking, you probably need to go to a higher nicotine level...

phase one, replace the cigs with e-cig

phase two, dial down the strength of your e liquid over the weeks/months.

If you start too low, you won't stick with it and you will end up back on smokes, which sort of defeats your aim doesn't it?

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Hang in Jenny... yesterday was 7 months without a cigarette for me. Amazing. These do work, but you do have to want the PV to succeed as well (and really want to give up the ciggys!). In the beginning, I had a few days that I wanted to throw them out the window and just drive for a pack of smokes... (dead battery, flooded atomizer, bad tasting liquid, etc.) so, I get ya. When I wanted a smoke, 24mg menthol and 24mg cherry was what I used, then went back down to 16mg vaping of other flavors. I associated the menthol/cherry with a cig. craving and when it was gone, I went back to my other flavors with lower nicotine. Today I use between 6mg and 18mg (most times 6mg). Cravings are gone.

If 18mg doesn't give you throat hit, it could just be the flavor you are using. Keep an eye out for sales and small samples sizes to try out. Some put a tiny bit of menthol crystal in liquid for that throat hit (teeny tiny, a very little goes a long way, so experiment carefully). Flavors from China have been wonky lately, so you might just have some liquid that isn't very good. Bickford's or LorAnn's can help to give liquid better flavor when added. I've also added a few drops of vodka.

The learning curve with these (all models) is a bit stressful, but it does get easier with time. Having the right batteries, enough atomizers and liquid you enjoy will get you on the right track. Reading the model specific discussions is very helpful also (here is the 510 Model sub forum).
Joye 510 - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat

jennytalls

Oct 27, 2009
Huh?

The 510 can be purchased for less than virtually any other PV out there. If you are paying more for a 510 than you are for a 901, KR808D-1, Revolver, SideSho, Smoking Everywhere, etc. etc. etc.. then you haven't done your shopping. Most PV's cost 30 to 100% more than the equivalent 510.

The 510 is designed differently than virtually any other PV out there. It has an additional wick system integrated into the bridge that usually allows it to deliver more vapor. It also has a very low atomizer resistance, which usually makes for a hotter vape. That usually correlates to throat and lung hit.

At best.. your post is confusing.

I have a shop in my town that has E-Cigs ... You walk in, they let you try them, they have great after care, their e-cigs feel no different than the 510 (and although I only had a few vapes, didn't give me such a tight chest) and they were' selling £10 cheaper than the 510, had an all black one, and said if I got any problems with my e-cigs, just pop in and they'll see if they can help ...They realise some things don't always last as long as they should ...

So there you have it .. Cheaper to buy, not so many batteries and anatomizers to replace and zero difference it seems ... Other than they had no liquid as they said they don't stock it because it's dangerous ..Which, it seems, is the only differnece in the e-cigs if I'm being told to up my dose to get the throat hit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread