To RBA or NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I've been tossing around the idea of buying an rba or an rda -- I can't even figure out the difference. I want the one that's a dripper so an rda?

Basically I want to drip and I want to learn to build a coil - I have a T3 that just sucks -- it leaks/floods and I know rebuilding it is definitely the key. I have watched SO many YouTube videos my eyes are bleeding and hours have flown by.

Where should I start? I'm not down for spending alot of $$ not even like 30 bucks, I'm talking like 15. I'm not a "cloud chaser" I just want to drip in order to have the "oh the flavor is awesome"-ness and to get away from all these clearomizers. It's time for an upgrade I guess you could say.

And I know learning how to build a coil would help me out with these clearo's that really need some help in the performance area. I don't own a mech -- I have an itaste and an MVP 2.0 (and I am happy)

So any suggestions on what to buy for a beginner? And as well as kanthal goes...how do you know what size to get? I'm assuming a safe bet is to go with 30 gauge? Just asking these questions is overwhelming me :cry:

Any help very much appreciated --- Monica

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
For dripping, the IGO-L is hard to beat for simplicity of build. You should be able to get one up and running in no time. And they're easy to experiment with as well. I actually have an IGO-W that makes it a bit easier to do dual coils, but I tend to use it with a single coil most of the time (it came with two caps - single hole for single coils and two holes for dual coils).

I started with 32g and 30g but went to 28g rather quickly. I find 28g to be more durable and easier to work with. Still, can't hurt to have both on hand.

Once you start rebuilding, you may not go back to the clearos at all. I went down the genesis path, but they're collecting dust while I'm vaping on the Kayfun line of RBAs. Simple to build and hold lots of juice without leaking.

Good luck!

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
For dripping, the IGO-L is hard to beat for simplicity of build. You should be able to get one up and running in no time. And they're easy to experiment with as well. I actually have an IGO-W that makes it a bit easier to do dual coils, but I tend to use it with a single coil most of the time (it came with two caps - single hole for single coils and two holes for dual coils).

I started with 32g and 30g but went to 28g rather quickly. I find 28g to be more durable and easier to work with. Still, can't hurt to have both on hand.

Once you start rebuilding, you may not go back to the clearos at all. I went down the genesis path, but they're collecting dust while I'm vaping on the Kayfun line of RBAs. Simple to build and hold lots of juice without leaking.

Good luck!

The Igo-L is exactly where I was leaning towards & then someone suggested I go with the Igo-W because of the holes in the posts they said it would be easier. I think due to the fact there's not much of a price difference I might just go with the Igo-W. To start out do you think I should buy both 28g and 30g? I'm thinking just go with cotton for wicks...

I would love to leave clearos in the dust...it was wonderful when I the cartos got tossed!

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
The Igo-L is exactly where I was leaning towards & then someone suggested I go with the Igo-W because of the holes in the posts they said it would be easier. I think due to the fact there's not much of a price difference I might just go with the Igo-W. To start out do you think I should buy both 28g and 30g? I'm thinking just go with cotton for wicks...

I would love to leave clearos in the dust...it was wonderful when I the cartos got tossed!

go with 30(IMO) and cotton for sure. 28 would be ok too. 30 is alittle thinner wire. Might be easier to learn on. good luck!

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
I forgot about the holes in the posts - yes, easier.

You can start with 30g. Before I got the 28g, I tried twisting some 30 (or 32?) with a dremel and liked how it came out. I decided to buy some 28g after getting carried away once when dremel-twisting some wire and it went flying across the garage - never to be found again :\

And I've converted to cotton for everything. I never bought more than a few inches of silica and went to cotton before finishing the silica. I may try hemp in the near future, but it's hard to beat the price and convenience of cotton.

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
I'd still suggest the igo-l over the w. Most everything out there is gonna have you wrapping around a screw, so might as well get used to it. Plus those posts with holes can have issues too. Screwing them down too tight can shear off the wire, or too loose and they can unscrew. I know it's easy to figure out, but I'd rather just have a screw head to wrap around.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
What kind of resistance are you going to be shooting for?
I'm assuming with vv/vw devices you are going to be well above 1.2ohm.
If you want to keep it between 1.3ohm and 2ohm I would go with 30ga.
Since both of your devices have ohm meters built in, you won't need to buy one of those right away.
I would go with the IGOL, unless you want to build dual coils.
That is, unless you want to cover up one of the holes with tape or something.
Or, if the one you buy comes with a single hole top cap. Or, you want to buy a separate top cap.
It's pretty easy to wrap around a screw.
You'll need something to wrap coils around.
A micro screwdriver would suffice. Or, grab a 5/64" drill bit.
You'll need some organic or sterile cotton.
I get my organic from Whole Foods, and my sterile from CVS.
Shoot for a coil between 1.6-1.8ohm to start out. Then play around from there.
You may find that you get a little bigger nic rush while dripping. But at higher resistances, I don't think it will be an issue.
Now, if you end up getting a mechanical, high drain battery and start wrapping sub ohm coils, you'll most likely find you need to cut you nicotine in half!

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
Sorry guys got caught up at work ;~

I only have an itaste vv 3.0 and I have an MVP 2.0 actually on its way right now. I'm not ready to go the mech route ---

savagemann - thank you for all the info its great...
I'm not going for the whole sub ohm stuff (not right now anyway maybe some day) just looking to build my own coils and buy a starter RDA. I actually almost bought the Igo-L until someone literally stopped me in my tracks and said it was too hard and the Igo-W was easier but honestly I'm not really into dual coils and all that right now so maybe my first instinct was right on.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Sorry guys got caught up at work ;~

I only have an itaste vv 3.0 and I have an MVP 2.0 actually on its way right now. I'm not ready to go the mech route ---

savagemann - thank you for all the info its great...
I'm not going for the whole sub ohm stuff (not right now anyway maybe some day) just looking to build my own coils and buy a starter RDA. I actually almost bought the Igo-L until someone literally stopped me in my tracks and said it was too hard and the Igo-W was easier but honestly I'm not really into dual coils and all that right now so maybe my first instinct was right on.

No problem, glad I could help.
I wouldn't be too afraid of the igoL.
It's not really hard to attached the wires under the screws.
The holes in the posts of the W are nice, but it's not totally necessary.

It's great wrapping your own coils and playing with different wicks.
When I started, I was using protanks and vivi novas.
they worked to get me off the stinkies, but soon left me wanting more.
Ever since I started building coils, I have only touched my other tanks a couple times, and that was only to fool around with building coils with cotton wicks for them.

The taste is out of this world with an rda compared to a clearo/carto etc.
You'll start finding nuances with your juice that you never noticed before.
It's super easy to rewick with a puff of cotton, and if you feel like it, wrap a different coil to try out.
Next thing you know, you'll want 2, then 3, then you'll want one for every single flavor that you use.
then you'll be onto mechanicals with high drain batteries and doing lower ohm setups.

I've played with several wires and resistances. From .3ohm up to 2.8ohm.
Most of my rdas are sitting around .7-1ohm, and I've been wrapping coils for my kayfun type devices around 1.1-1.4 ohm. Loving it.
Shoot for around 1.6-1.8ohm to start out. then go up or down as you see fit.
If you find yourself wanting to go below 1.3ohm, then it's time to get your hands on a mechanical and some good high drain/safe batteries.

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
Building coils is very easy and gets easier with time. There's really no reason to NOT build your own coils.

The wire and the micro torch is really the only expense, but you'll save from ordering replacement heads and such.

Once you start doing your own builds and making them to your own liking, it really doesn't get any better. I build coils for 3 people no and receive zero complaints

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
Just want to say thank you to u guys. Definitely made up my mind. Igo-L & Kanthal HERE I COME!

Just my $.02.

I'd definitely go with RBAs and your success is dependent primarily on your setup. I generally use 32ga Kanthal and will be getting some 30ga, as well, for some microcoiling.

After some experience with the Igo-L and a few others that shall leave unnamed, I'd go with the A7 Mini based on your budget. I believe it's $18 or so. It's ego-sized. Pretty easy to get working. Has a substantial drip well. It also has another configuration option that I particularly like (the A7-oid - similar in function to the GP Spheroid).

Two tips for the A7. Do a 10-minute soak in vinegar following by a boiling water bath and soak. Use a tiny bit of plumber's tape on the positive pin as the threading is a bit loose.

It's reliable, durable, easy to build for it's size, and it performs well.

I started with a Phoenix rda from dv. Some basic silica wick and 28g nichrome. The absolute best res wire ive found is ribbon wire. You can fit it through post holes though. Ribbon wire is awesome on ss rope with an Ekowool sleeve on an rsst. That's the best flavor I've found, it's on par with my drippers. Bottom line, rbas/rdas equal awesome flavor. Good luck man!!!

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
Question if anyone's still around that is: What is mesh for and is I realize its not necessary but does it make things better in any way?

Also it's weird that the price for the Igo-L ranges so much from site to site...can anyone suggest a vendor?

Also since it seems no one is around I'll throw out another question maybe it'll get answered maybe not what about the Igo-S? It's just the Igo-L but smaller...I wonder if it would make things harder for me seeing that it's my first attempt.

Last edited:

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Question if anyone's still around that is: What is mesh for and is I realize its not necessary but does it make things better in any way?

Also it's weird that the price for the Igo-L ranges so much from site to site...can anyone suggest a vendor?

Also since it seems no one is around I'll throw out another question maybe it'll get answered maybe not what about the Igo-S? It's just the Igo-L but smaller...I wonder if it would make things harder for me seeing that it's my first attempt.

Mesh is used primarily in genesis atomizers as a wick for pulling juice up from a tank under the atomizer deck. Not something you need to worry about with an RDA for now.

Igo-s is smaller, yes. A great little atomizer. One thing you will learn about as you progress with RDAs is how air flow, coils, wicking and even chamber size and juice ingredients all relate to your vape. I would not recommend the Igo-S as your first RDA, even though it is one of my favorite RDAs. The small size makes for a small chamber which can improve flavor, but with this atty at the cost of holding less juice, which means you have to drip more often. It will also be a bit trickier to build on being so small. I'd go with the Igo-W first. Big enough to build on comfortably, and room to progress to more coil configurations as you gain confidence and want to experiment more. Regardless, almost any RDA is going to be better than what you've had so far, and that's a good enough start.

The Igos are also well supported by third parties for customizing. As an example, I have 3 extra caps in different sizes for my W that make it fit flush with different mechs I have or to just change up the look a bit from the stock cap. I also have an extra brass cap for my S that allows it to fit flush on a small 14500 battery mech of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Monica, IGO-s is very similar to the cyclone. The internals are basically identical :)

I have cyclones and they vape excellent, are low profile and very easy to build. Here is a vid I recently made detailing the internals and how to build it :)

http://youtu.be/--4N5Vt7GPw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread