To Steep?

Trent Erikson

• Nov 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This topic comes up every so often, and I thought maybe it could use a revisit.

I typically make heavily mentholated juice and am also a very impatient person. This is not a good combo, I understand. Nevertheless, here we are. I've used the microwave method with several recipes to see how/if it worked. My juice typically has 25-30mg of nicotine and roughly a 50/50 or 60/40 base. I have succeeded with this method, but the flavor improves if I let it sit for another few days after microwaving. I give uncapped 10ml of juice for about 10 seconds in the microwave, shake them extremely well, then open up the bottles until they reach room temp and repeat 3-4 times.

I've been apprehensive about going further, even though I know it has more steeping to go, because I don't want to risk messing up the whole batch by overdoing it.

I understand there is a crock pot method and many other ways to speed up steeping. I also know some say any of these methods will disrupt the chemical process and shouldn't be done at all. Is anyone else doing the 3/4 microwave steep and leaving it alone for a few days to finish on its own? Any new methods out there or advice on how I might improve my technique? You've all been super helpful with my other DIY questions, so I thought I'd ask the experts about this too.

Mediocre00Rebel

ECF Veteran
    Mar 23, 2022
    I just started mixing about a month ago. Ive just stuck to doing simple fruit SnV while I wait for my flavors that need more time. I haven't used heat for any of my recipes other than accidentally leaving a couple in my car for a couple hours and that doesn't seem to have changed anything. my results after 2 weeks have been mostly delicious... I only use 3mg nic tho.... I'd imagine that high of nicotine has an effect on steep time but I'm not sure.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    A long time ago I did all the tricks. Except microwaving. The one I did the most was the crockpot method. I have no idea whether they did any good to be honest. They were all a lot of bother though.

Now I just mix them up with a whisk and put them on the shelf. I'm impatient too. I figure a big bottle will last so long that it will be steeped long before it's finished, so the first few tanks might be a bit raw but 1/3 of the way through the bottle it will be well steeped.

Another thing I heard way back was that steeping is speeded up if you have some well steeped juice in the bottle. So I try to mix 100mls in a 125ml bottle which has the last 20 mls or so left from the previous mix. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt.

Reactions: Trent Erikson

Users who are viewing this thread