Steeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
I wouldn't doubt that putting your juice in the microwave would affect the potency of your nicotine, or affect the taste adversely. Steeping isn't "required", and a lot of juices should taste fine immediately upon making them. I actually noticed 1 of my flavor combos from the B&M decline in taste after a few wks. And finally, I don't believe that all the heating or shaking you wanna do is replicating what actually occurs during a natural steep, which is days/weeks of air-exchange and any further reactions that happen at room temperature. If you're getting good results that you're happy with tho, there's no wrong or right IMO.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
After thinking about it I think a hot water bath (120F max), sitting it on a cable box, an AV amp, etc is the best way to go. As long as it doesn't get over 120F. I believe by warming it up you spread the molecules of the mixture further apart allowing the flavor, PG, VG, and Nic to be better incorporated at a quicker pace when shaken. The main reason I choose the cable box was I believe it keeps it at a constant temp for as long as I chose to keep it there. My water cools down. ;)

I believe the UC works the same way, warms up the mixture and shakes away at ultrasonic speed. :toast:

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Has anyone tried pre-steeping in the microwave in leu of a hot water bath? I have been doing it while making test batches(5ml), about 1 second per ml. Is this a bad idea? I then stir, shake vigorously put up in the cabinet uncapped 24 hrs. then cover and shake daily. :unsure:

A microwave can over heat the juice very easily so be careful with it. If it's to hot to handle you over did it. I would use an insulated thermal cup of hot water if your into hot water steeping and not use a microwave.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
A microwave can over heat the juice very easily so be careful with it. If it's to hot to handle you over did it. I would use an insulated thermal cup of hot water if your into hot water steeping and not use a microwave.

I agree with this. Head up a cup of water and steep the bottle of juice in the water. I'd be afraid of 1) overheating the juice (easy to do) and 2) possibly making 'hot spots' in the juice.

bcollier9253

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
I heat it in the graduated cylinder I mixed it in for about 5 seconds. I haven't checked the temp but I can tell ya it's quite warm to touch but not hot and it turns the color pretty quick. I choose to do this method for the reason of spreading the molecules quicker. The batches I have done taste alright but not perfect. I'm still new at this stuff so with all the reading and suggestions from all of the pros on here I'm sure I will eventually get it down. Right now I'm trying to perfect a Vanilla Custard vape. I know, I know... Start out with simple single flavors but the inquizivness (I guess that's a word) side of me wants to jump right in there. Thanks all for your insight.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
If it's turning color quick you may very well be getting it too hot. I also think you would be better off to put your mix in warm water bath (put it in it's jar first and no hotter than 120F). I used a thermal coffee cup, put in 120F water up to the collar of the bottle I was using for my juice, them put the top on. Let it sit for 30 minutes, shake and repeat once or twice. I would let the juice come back to room temperature between warm water baths. Like I said, I now just sit on top of my cable box - I measured it and it's never gets above 110F, so it's no muss, no fuss for me, but I've had cable boxes in the past that were hotter. Warm water is probably the safest way to go without a UC and even with that you have to monitor temperature.

Cheers,
Steve

I tend to agree with Barbara about creating hotspots using the microwave on the juice. I know if I heat up water it can be steaming on top but after stirring it, it's only warm.

Last edited:

bcollier9253

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
If it's turning color quick you may very well be getting it too hot. I also think you would be better off to put your mix in warm water bath (put it in it's jar first and no hotter than 120F). I used a thermal coffee cup, put in 120F water up to the collar of the bottle I was using for my juice, them put the top on. Let it sit for 30 minutes, shake and repeat once or twice. I would let the juice come back to room temperature between warm water baths. Like I said, I now just sit on top of my cable box - I measured it and it's never gets above 110F, so it's no muss, no fuss for me, but I've had cable boxes in the past that were hotter. Warm water is probably the safest way to go without a UC and even with that you have to monitor temperature.

Cheers,
Steve

I tend to agree with Barbara about creating hotspots using the microwave on the juice. I know if I heat up water it can be steaming on top but after stirring it, it's only warm.

Well allright, I see what your saying:) makes perfect sense. Thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread