To VG, or Not To VG??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
Need opinions .... have a perspective convert that, on her first trial vaping, made horrible faces,8-o:yawn::nah: choked and coughed etc ....said it was way too strong ...Ie-Too much throat hit for her (it was an 8mg Virginia). she is a "pull to mouth, light inhale smoker (hope that made sense)

I am thinking that she may be better off with VG since it is smoother... and the fact that she is typically "sensitive" to just about everything ( cant drink grain alcohol, allergies to many animals get hives with many medications etc)

I may have to mix a bit to get the taste up but hope the greater vapor (typically) and smoother throat hit will do the trick for her....

Any opinions welcome ...ever know anyone that didn't want the TH that most of us crave/require?... any mixing suggestions??

Also..any source for juice (V4l is a bit limited on VG)

Thanks in advance for any input

Last edited:

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
I don't like a lot of throat-hit myself. The cooler menthols, cool, etc are perfect for me (at 36mg/ml).

Like anything else, there's an acclimation period.

If you read this forum, it seems like about 75% of the forum population [believes] they have allergies to PG, where in the population the reports I've seen are ~2%, certainly less than 5%.

She coughed and choked when she was learning to smoke too.

Laz777

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2010
East Coast
Hey John,

I thought that vapor would dissipate quickly before I began vaping but I've noticed that (depending on the lighting in the room or environment you are in) the vapor hangs around for a few minutes. I'll be relaxing and vaping while watching television and I easily notice thin clouds or plums of vapor hanging around. I don't think it disappears as quickly as most of us think, it's just difficult to see without the right lighting conditions. It could be just me but i doubt it.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Hey John,

I thought that vapor would dissipate quickly before I began vaping but I've noticed that (depending on the lighting in the room or environment you are in) the vapor hangs around for a few minutes. I'll be relaxing and vaping while watching television and I easily notice thin clouds or plums of vapor hanging around. I don't think it disappears as quickly as most of us think, it's just difficult to see without the right lighting conditions. It could be just me but i doubt it.

How quickly it dissipates will have alot to do with the PG/VG mix, temperature, and humidity...
it hangs around longer when it's colder and from what I've sort of observed more humid...
Heres a cute little experiment...put some ice in a glass and blow your vapor in there and see just how long the vapor hangs around in there...

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I agree with Lynn, there are true stories about P.G. sensitivity, but the majority are just people trying to learn to vape or those who have withdrawal symptoms. P.G. is in ice cream, toothpaste and makeup. More then likely she is feeling the difference between smoke and vapor. For some it's great from the first drag..for others it takes a bit of getting used to. We have nearly 34,000 members, almost 8,000 posting members when you look at how few of them get V.G. and stay with it..you would be surprised.
You can give it a try in a low nic. But if she wants to quit it is better to go higher to start and the lower as the cravings lessen. My high is 11mg..others go 36 or 24.

Last edited:

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
How quickly it dissipates will have alot to do with the PG/VG mix, temperature, and humidity...
it hangs around longer when it's colder and from what I've sort of observed more humid...
Heres a cute little experiment...put some ice in a glass and blow your vapor in there and see just how long the vapor hangs around in there...

You can use an old cooler to make a fog chiller for a fog machine using this principle, a great thing to know if you like to decorate for Halloween and want to make fog that lies low and hugs the ground rather than making billowing clouds. Cut one hole in each end of the cooler, connect them with a tube of chicken wire, and then fill with ice. Aim your fog machine into one end, and milky, clingy fog comes out the other!

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
I just recently, as in last night, got my brother-in-law started on ecigs. Of course I introduced him to cartos since they are easier to deal with. This is a man that has smoked most of his life, he started when he was really young. He was addicted to inhalable drugs of a varying assortment so his lungs are used to harsh treatment. He choked and coughed for about an hour every time he took a drag. Once he figured out how to do a long slow drag he was fine. He has not had a cig since last night.

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I don't like a lot of throat-hit myself. The cooler menthols, cool, etc are perfect for me (at 36mg/ml).

Do you use the PG or VG then... I tried to get her to try the cool and my wintergreen, but she is a hard sell....says if its not "like a cigarette" she doesn't want it ...in other words she wants it to taste and feel as much like an analog as possible. Did you smoke menthol analogs .... she has always smoked the lighter/smoother cigs , mostly lights/ultralights

Like anything else, there's an acclimation period.

She is very impatient ...I probably only have one or two chances to get her to convert. I knew she would be my toughest sell, but I care about her and she is at my house a lot...so I have to give it my best!!

If you read this forum, it seems like about 75% of the forum population [believes] they have allergies to PG, where in the population the reports I've seen are ~2%, certainly less than 5%.

I hear ya, and i don't know that PG would be a problem, just figured why take a chance if VG would give her a better "feel" anyway. She used to be an Automotive Tech instructor and would break out horribly if she got antifreeze on her ...but that was likely the Ethylene Glycol ...then again the thought was ...if VG tends to be less of an irritant to sensitive people that I should consider it from the start.

She coughed and choked when she was learning to smoke too.

Thanks much for the input ...may have to try the cools again if I can get her to actually make an effort

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
mechtech everyone i let try the my vaporking had the same reaction, a lot of coughing on first hit, until i told them not to take a huge drag... just puff it quickly or a small amount seemed to worked perfect.. i bel. my first hit on the vapor i started coughing as well...

Thanks for the suggestion boston ....She is a light smoker to begin with ...as in her method ...not necessarily amount ... she says she doesn't smoke like "most people" as she does the mouth draw> hold > light inhale thing (kind of like I hear a lot of people recommend for vaping) hummmmm

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I sometimes sip my V4L with small puffs, just like an analog. Also, if vapor visibility is mostly what you're after, it helps to exhale immediately, since vapor has a short lifespan. Trying other flavors is a good idea too.

I tried to explain "how to vape" like it was explained to me at first....very much like you are saying ...but i think she just needs to go off on her own and try to figure out her best method without me trying to tell her how to do it...

thanks for the suggestion

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I agree with Lynn, there are true stories about P.G. sensitivity, but the majority are just people trying to learn to vape or those who have withdrawal symptoms. P.G. is in ice cream, toothpaste and makeup. More then likely she is feeling the difference between smoke and vapor. For some it's great from the first drag..for others it takes a bit of getting used to. We have nearly 34,000 members, almost 8,000 posting members when you look at how few of them get V.G. and stay with it..you would be surprised.
You can give it a try in a low nic. But if she wants to quit it is better to go higher to start and the lower as the cravings lessen. My high is 11mg..others go 36 or 24.

Thanks MaryKay.... I realize the chance that she is really sensitive to PG is pretty low, just thought that the VG being less likely to be an irritant was an added bonus to the real idea/concern of the throat hit issue. If there is really that much difference in throat hit with the lower nic levels It would probably be good to use one just to get her used to it then bump the level up to satisfy the cravings till she is off the analogs ....does that make sense ??

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I just recently, as in last night, got my brother-in-law started on ecigs. Of course I introduced him to cartos since they are easier to deal with. This is a man that has smoked most of his life, he started when he was really young. He was addicted to inhalable drugs of a varying assortment so his lungs are used to harsh treatment. He choked and coughed for about an hour every time he took a drag. Once he figured out how to do a long slow drag he was fine. He has not had a cig since last night.

Cool Jules...congrats on the convert ...but sounds like he was more willing to work with it than my subject. one of my problems is that she is my X wife and I'm not allowed to "Tell" her anything ....i can only politely suggest ...lol

There are definitely some underlying issues here making her a tough sell for me ...but she does truly seem interested since she saw me get off analogs so quickly. I just have to be a bit more diplomatic with this than I would be with a regular friend/family member ....maybe I should have someone else work with her ....to avoid the trust issues ..lol

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
You had a good idea, MechTech, maybe just allow her to learn whatever ways she likes better. That's what I did, it's how I'm learning. Having at least a few different flavors handy, and a couple diferent strengths would be even better, too. With me, I needed to be sure I had a fully ready and handy one, and each time I craved a deadly analog, I would sip and sip the much healthier ecig to my heart's desire, this was extremely important especially the first few days.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I tried V.G. just to see what it tasted like. I found it to be too thick for me and made the carto harder to drag. The harder drag may make a switch to P.G. worse as then she would try to drag to hard on a P.G. carto and choke! How about a lower nic with refills of a mix pf P.G. and V.G.?

I was in no way saying she wasn't sensitive! There are those who are and that makes life hard for them..who needs a yenta like me telling them that it isn't real!!

But all that being said..geeze don't put ideas out there!

You are right to let her learn at her own rate in her own style. I hope it works for her! You are one of the good guys.:)

KuiHiggins

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Ive got some all vg juice that I really like at home. I'll go and check which company they're from after work. I've got six flavors and like the 555 and dr. Pepper the best. I'll be back in a couple of hours with the site. You may also want to check out the hv juice line from nhaler, only 12 mg nic, little to no throat hit and some pretty good flavors. Not sure of the % of vg in the juice because it's Drew's secret recipe ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread