To vv or not vv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skorpiankh

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Illinois
New vaper here and I currently have a Lavatube v1. I like the vv aspect and the ability to adjust for different flavors. Now I'd like to upgrade to a grand but I'm not sure if I need to spend the extra $$ on the vv. I've been told the standard grand would be fine for what I do and honestly I usually have the Lavatube set at 4.5. Will I notice a huge difference if I buy a regular grand? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
New vaper here and I currently have a Lavatube v1. I like the vv aspect and the ability to adjust for different flavors. Now I'd like to upgrade to a grand but I'm not sure if I need to spend the extra $$ on the vv. I've been told the standard grand would be fine for what I do and honestly I usually have the Lavatube set at 4.5. Will I notice a huge difference if I buy a regular grand? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

If you want the ability to adjust to flavors with the Grand you can always get atty's of different ohms. With a LR atty of around 1.5 ohms you would be happy with the Grand.

The rba's that are out give you much more room to play with ohms. You could put a 1.0 ohm atty on it and blow your lungs out!

Many people with the VV Grand run it at lower power and use the L.R atty's too.

I think you would be happy with what you would get with a Grand.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
set your lava tube to 4.2v, then slowly keep dropping the voltage to 3.7v as you puff away.

try this with various atties and cartos you have laying around.
if you dont like it, try a lower resistance atty/carto.
if you are happy get a grand
still not happy get a vv grand.

:laugh:

either way, when you make your choice get a bottom feeding rebuildable, and enjoy bliss!

I have a woodvil with an A7 atty w/a 1.8ohm coil
The woodvil is modified to use a kick for Variable Wattage. but i enjoy my Reo in either setup.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Consistency is huge for me, the VVG stays spot on right up until it's time for a battery change, which is, for me, after around 6 ml (a full bottle) of vaping. (I vape in the 8 - 10W zone, 4.5 - 5V with a 2.5 ohm carto or atty)

Unregulated standard Grand wins for raw simplicity, durability (VVG is rugged, but it does have electronics), but over the course of use the nominal voltage will vary from a starting point of about 4.2V and drift gradually down, until you change the battery. If you vape to the point where the battery output is 3.5V, and started with a 1.8 ohm atty, power will be going from 9.8W down to 6.8W over the course of use, a pretty healthy change. You certainly can minimize the change by changing batteries more frequently, at higher voltage, just depends on the degree of hassle.

VVG if set to 4.9V output on a 2.5 ohm atty stays right there, all day, no drift. If you decide during the day that you want a little less oomph, you get to turn the voltage down slightly. Likewise you can choose to adjust voltage up a bit for a warmer vape.

Both are excellent, but if you are used to being able to change voltage when you want, control the vape, VVG is where it's at :)

boilednuts

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
ALOHA STATE
If you still like experimenting with different juices, then get the vv. If not, find an atty that would work w/ the juice you like and get the plain grand. But by all means get a Reo and you'll never look back. Eventually I'd like to get a vv but I'm having so much fun using my non vv at the moment. LOL, had only 18650s at the time I ordered so the choice was easy. Let us know what you decide to do.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I was deciding between the provari and grand today, decided on the grand. Why? Simply because a low res atty is more than enough for me. And the grand is awesome. I was contemplating the vv grand but it's huge. If anything I will get a kick and toss it in if I get ants in my pants.
It is bigger, yes, but not so when you consider the rounded edges of the VVG. I personally think my VVG feels much less obtrusive in my hand than the regular Grand!! It's just a NATURAL fit!!

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Everyone is a little different with what they want and why. I decided to get a Reo because it's all mechanical, and I loved dripping. I already have both a Provari and a Kicked SB, but it seemed like they gathered a lot of dust while I dripped on an old mechanical Mako. I feel that I actually have more control of how an atomizer performs, not less, with a mechanical mod.
    The one consecession I make to electronics is I use a little 5amp Short Stop sitting on top of a flat top IMR in mine. Unlike the 2 cent fuse, the Short Stop will work on either end of the battery, and the flat surface of the Short Stop gives a little more travel to the switch. Mine seemed to be a bit of a hair trigger with a AW IMR button top battery.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2009
    Lower Mich.
    I was deciding between the provari and grand today, decided on the grand. Why? Simply because a low res atty is more than enough for me. And the grand is awesome. I was contemplating the vv grand but it's huge. If anything I will get a kick and toss it in if I get ants in my pants.

Save paper.... to me, the vv grand isn't huge...it's a bit taller than the grand, but it's slimmer with the rounded edges.. For me, with arthritis, the fit is marvelous and the side button makes it seem smaller than the grand. Also, in my opinion, the throat hit is " cleaner" and stronger..and you can adjust it!

JC Okie

REOnaut
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I have both and I use the VV ALL the time. It does seem smaller, to me, because of the side button and the rounded corners and the way I hold it (because of the side button.) BUT....I wouldn't give up my Grand for anything simply because it's all mechanical. I have an extra spring, so if anything goes wrong with the Grand, I can most likely fix it. If anything goes wrong with the VV, it has to take a trip to Maine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread