Tobeco Kayfun Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
so i just got a kayfun mini, i have tried about 6 different builds with no luck..
all i get are dry hits or its flooded. what PG/VG ratio is preferred for this device i have tried %70, %30, 10, VG. i can see air bubbles come out of the liquid ports but they do not float up to the surface. this tells me i have some vacuum / pressure issues.
the only wick im willing to use is Silica. do i really need to use cotton with this device?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
I've been wanting to get a KFL mini clone myself....in doing some research I haven't found many, if any, who have had consistent success with any of the mini clones. Quite a few comments in this thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tems/551105-kayfun-mini-clone-does-exist.html

Seems like there's quite a demand..... seems odd that the original was discontinued. Also why LHPRO (great regular sized KFL clone) never made one? Wonder if they had issues as well, due to the size?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Mine work perfectly with cotton...I've never tried silica in a mini. I use high VG...generally 70% . I'm pretty sure silica isn't the issue...my guess would be your wick is possibly blocking your juice channel or its too tight inside the coil. Its a bit small in that chamber...experiment with less wick and make sure its flat against the block and not packed in on your juice channels.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Mine work perfectly with cotton...I've never tried silica in a mini. I use high VG...generally 70% . I'm pretty sure silica isn't the issue...my guess would be your wick is possibly blocking your juice channel or its too tight inside the coil. Its a bit small in that chamber...experiment with less wick and make sure its flat against the block and not packed in on your juice channels.

its not packed in that channel. that was what i was thinking...

some Distilled water in the %70 VG e-liquid and air flow adjustment seems to have sorted this mess out.

Last edited:

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
The only way I could get it not to leak was to ditch the plastic tank and use a normal (5 wrap 32g kanthal) silica build... works pretty good now but wish the plastic tank had a slightly wider diameter so it wouldn't cause dry hits or screw up the vacuum and leak all over the place.
I ordered a different one from another maker (ivego i think) to see if the plastic is made differently.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
The only way I could get it not to leak was to ditch the plastic tank and use a normal (5 wrap 32g kanthal) silica build... works pretty good now but wish the plastic tank had a slightly wider diameter so it wouldn't cause dry hits or screw up the vacuum and leak all over the place.
I ordered a different one from another maker (ivego i think) to see if the plastic is made differently.

yeah i find the 5 wraps of 32g around two 2mm wicks is the best bet.

once i got the e-liquid thinned out a bit and air flow tightened up this thing vapes likes a dream.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
I have an IVOGO and it works fine for me, except for having to unscrew the top to fill it instead of using the fill 'port,' however others have stated even the original had this issue. From my experience TOBECO Kayfun clones are subpar. I too hope EHPPO makes a mini clone. My full sized EHPRO clones are stellar.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
I haven't tried a Kfun mini: but, do have an Artemis black and ehproV2 and noticed on both wicking with silica is a bit tricky; they seem to be a tad finicacky when it comes to placement of the silica and amount of silica used. Even with cotton I've noticed NOT to block the juice channels with whatever you use as a wick. I also try to stay away from using anything heavy on the VG side - I stick to 60pg40vg.
the fact that you're having a pressure issue makes me wonder if it's not an o-ring problem. Maybe try completely disassembling and giving her a good cleaning. My black was leaking whenever I would try and bottom fill it, gave it a good cleaning and swapped out some out the print on the topcap where re chimney sets in- problem solved

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I was thinking of getting a Mini for my husband, as he only uses iTaste VVv3's. He likes the Kayfun Lite he has, but it's pretty top heavy on his itastes. However, the VVv3's are pretty much dying now, so I got him a Provari instead from the classies. It's pretty scuffed up, but if he can make his way through the one button menu and doesn't mind that much, I'll spend the money and get him a new one and we'll use the old one for back up. I haven't read much on Ivogo as a clone manufacturer, and I'm not really happy with my Tobecco Kayfun Lites, so I have been reluctant to try any Mini Kayfun clones.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
If it's been cleaned well and you're having vacuum issues I would check all the seals/o-rings especially the one at the top where the chimney fits in. I've read a few places that one can be sneaky. Also the wicking at the juice channels, just make sure the channels are clear and the wick just touches the floor of the deck, not sure about silica but since cotton expands it doesn't take much at all, I always use just enough to where I think it's almost too small of an amount

entoptic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Don't read this the wrong way please. Is it the tank size that made you decide on this one?

I've found on kfl, not having the intake straight down helps in not leaking.

I'm very curious how smaller tanks work, as I seem to prefer new flavors before the tank depletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Don't read this the wrong way please. Is it the tank size that made you decide on this one?

I've found on kfl, not having the intake straight down helps in not leaking.

I'm very curious how smaller tanks work, as I seem to prefer new flavors before the tank depletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah i like the size of it. its my travel rig. spent about 3 days messing with it, but now it is vaping perfectly loving the heck out of this thing.
an experienced kayfun user would probably have no problem with it. my only issue with it really, is that it had a really bad smell to it at first and was pretty dirty. black stuff was coming off it when i was scrubbing it with q-tips. the long chimney still smells even though it has been soaking in PGA for 3 days. and i can even see some yellow/brown crap on it that is not coming off. good thing i don't plan on using it in long mode.
you might stay away from the Tobeco kayfun mini for this reason.

Last edited:

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
yeah i like the size of it. its my travel rig. spent about 3 days messing with it, but now it is vaping perfectly loving the heck out of this thing.
an experienced kayfun user would probably have no problem with it. my only issue with it really, is that it had a really bad smell to it at first and was pretty dirty. black stuff was coming off it when i was scrubbing it with q-tips. the long chimney still smells even though it has been soaking in PGA for 3 days. and i can even see some yellow/brown crap on it that is not coming off. good thing i don't plan on using it in long mode.
you might stay away from the Tobeco kayfun mini for this reason.

I hear that about tobeco clones allot in general; I clean all my attys when they come in regardless; clones or authentic, they get a good couple of hours soaking in warm water and vinegar (totally disassembled) then a total scrub down before I take them for their maiden vape. But I've heard from several people tobeco products to be "dirtier" than most. What that means I don't know just something I've heard even from people who swear they are the best clone mfg out there. Personally i tend to look for ehpro clones first and if I like the clone I'll get an authentic if finances allow.

silverkbt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Laurel, Mississippi, United States
I also just got one of the minis. I remember reading somewhere that the plastic part of the kit seems to be to thick and causes problems with the thicker juices. Doesn't want to flow right between the plastic and the metal. I've shortened my wick thinking that I had too much but I'm still getting the dry burn taste after 4-5 hits. I cover the air holes and do a few non-powered pulls and start the whole process all over. When I empty it this time, I'm going to switch the plastic part out with the metal one and see if that doesn't help some.

Spatchka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
NashVegas, TN
If you want to improve the flow of liquid to the chamber, you can sand down the surface area of the chimmey and file in some grooves.

I started with 80 grit sandpaper on the chimmey ( used a drill ) and finished with 220.

For the liquid/air grooves, made a mark where the entry holes are on the base and filed
a groove the length on the outside of the chimmey. Don't go to deep, not much material there.

Sanding alone worked ok for one of mine, yet to add the grooves on it.

Worked great for me, just a little extra effort. Somethings just need to be modded.

If not, they do work Great as a dripper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread