tobeco orchid v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
I top fill mine . But make sure you cover the air holes . Then make sure the top cap is threaded a little then turn it over and continue closing it . I will leak a little just keep hitting it until the vacuum seal is good.

I'll just add that if you're gonna do it this way, after you get some threads started (and you make sure the top of the chimney is at least touching that top o-ring), plug all 3 holes with one hand (the two intakes and drip tip) and flip it over, use your other hand to remove the fill screw before screwing the cap onto the tank. This allows the tank to vent air out through the fill hole instead of trying to force juice into the wicking channels into the chimney. All that pressure has to go somewhere. If you don't do this, you'll lose about a ml or more through the chimney. Top filling is quick but dirty. You'll lose some into the chimney every time no matter what your technique. Been there done that. My juice costs too much to waste, so I'll use the fill port, hold the tank at an angle and tap the air bubbles out... it's painstaking but I lose no juice. Takes 5 minutes to fill it to full capacity (4 or 5 ml). I look at it this way. At least I'm not carrying around a bottle/dripper all day. To me that's ludicrous.

The problem with the V4 is that the outer diameter of the chimney isn't much smaller than the inner diameter of the tank, so liquid has a tough time settling to the bottom while it's upside down and you're trying to fill it and get the air bubbles out. It's worse if your juice is mostly VG, like the majority of premium juices are. Most of the time I use my Orchid V2, which doesn't have this problem at all because of the bigger tube. Liquid settles to the bottom instantly.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Haven't tried it yet, but if you have time:
1) Warm e-liquid bottle in a bowl of hot water - Shake when removed
2) Warm Orchid by holding tight in hand for a few minutes
3) Remove fill Screw and fill slowly
4) Place in Refrigerator upside down for 3-4 minutes

I have noticed once you are vaping, the liquid warms and the liquid becomes much more fluid(thinner) allowing fast movement.

Should work. Thinner liquid should slip past the chimney more easily. I Vape 50/50 and have been doing the fill/tilt/wait/fill routine but am going to give this a shot next fill.

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My Tobeco Orchid V2 with my own combination Kayfun tank and Fasttech Kayfun top fill top cap:

Orchod.jpg

The top fill holes are smallish, but even with a decent plastic needle tip liquid bottle, it's plenty easy to fill. Which is good, because I'm currently running a 0.28Ω 24ga build in it, and it needs to be filled A LOT. ;)

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
I just got a V3 and it's leaking. This is unacceptable. Couldn't Tobeco make an atty that doesn't leak? Having to jump through this many hoops to hope to loose only several drops...well, it's just unacceptable. Any better RTA's out there?

The V3 is the only version I don't have of the Orchid.

But with the others, getting the proper wick is key on these things.

If your using a liquid that is 50% or less VG, you will need to leave little tails from the wick down into the juice channels or it floods the deck and leaks.

On the heavy VG juices, you just need the wicks to be touching the top of the juice channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread